Sign in to follow this  

Water

Two things:

1. if you use REX and wonder if your water animation is working or not, first make sure you enabled the DX10 option for it, but also make sure the animation is actually compatible with DX10: I've read a few times that not every animation works well (or at all) with DX10. So in doubt, select another one and see what happens.

2. I reverted back to default FSX water... and I wonder who else did this. Because a lot of people use REX because the water sucked (with DX9) they don't think about or consider giving the default FSX DX10 water a try! I had some problems with wave animations (no animation at all, even with DX10 enabled in REX) and when I reverted to default water, just to see if the animation would work or not, I was amazed how good it looked with DX10! FSX DX9 and FSX DX10 waters are quite different, so you might want to give it a try!

(And btw I am always a bit unsure which REX animations are heavy on the system and which are not: I have the idea the default FSX animation is pretty light so that's another bonus. But this idea isn't based on fact. ^_^ )

Good info...how do you go back to default water when using REX?

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

By using the "Restore" function in the REX Configuration Manager.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I was trying different setting last night on the DX10 water and REX. I even tried FSWS-Lite DX10. The wave animations creates different (unacceptable) land shimmering effects in the distance. I could not find one that I thought was a good compromise. Only a handful seem to add the whitecaps -even with the DX-10 water box checked. I settled on "Use This!" water animation theme for now. 

I wanted to try to revert back to stock FSX textures but they would not restore from the tool. Does anyone have the name of the files to restore. I suspect they are somewhere on my hard drive. 

What have other people used to get great looking DX10 water and waves?

By using the "Restore" function in the REX Configuration Manager.

LOL...ok yeah that would make sense. Not really something I ever thought of doing. :lol:

So I was reading somewhere that I should:

1. Restore default textures in Config Manager

2. Uncheck REX water textures in Options

3. Reload all other REX textures.

Should I leave REX water animations checked w/ dx10 Optomize checked?

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I was trying different setting last night on the DX10 water and REX. I even tried FSWS-Lite DX10. The wave animations creates different (unacceptable) land shimmering effects in the distance. I could not find one that I thought was a good compromise. Only a handful seem to add the whitecaps -even with the DX-10 water box checked. I settled on "Use This!" water animation theme for now. 

I wanted to try to revert back to stock FSX textures but they would not restore from the tool. Does anyone have the name of the files to restore. I suspect they are somewhere on my hard drive. 

What have other people used to get great looking DX10 water and waves?

None of your DX9 textures are touched with DX10 Fixer.  So you do not need to uninstall anything.  If you modified anything inside of REX, then that's an issue with REX and you will have to get your water back with that program.  In the Fsx.cfg, your water should be set no higher than 5.  DX10 Preview takes over from there.  I have seen major issues with FSX water setting set to max.  Read the OP as it is explained well there.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

With FSX DX10, it's like a whole new sim and I know the DX10 water now has the potential to look amazing. I just have not found a combination of textures and wave animations for High 2.x.

Over at orbx there are some nice screenshot of DX10 eye candy with great looking water. - http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/65152-dx10-eye-candy/

I am really interested in what others are using...

I'm using the "Use This" option as well.

It provides some nice reflections, particularly during Dawn and Dusk, and nice wave effects.   But I too am getting that nasty "land reflection shimmering" effect, particularly at lower altitudes and with the land further away.   Hopefully that can somehow be corrected, eventually.

The "Sparkling" option looked great in DX9 but horrible in DX10.  Hence the switch.

Alexander Alonso

The key is that water slider in the fsx.cfg.  I had the land reflection shimmering effect when I first installed Steve's fix last year.  Even submitted a picture of the effect and Paul told me to lower this setting one notch.  It worked!  So, you just have to place the water setting to the highest (which is not good, and start lowering until the effect goes away or is reduced.  I have 2048 HD textures installed (from AS2012).  You should have at least that resolution installed.  The 4096 textures will definitely cause problems in the form of crashes (via a combination of settings that are all at the highest). 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

I can't check at the moment, but by lowering the water setting, at what point are the wave effects lost? 

I fly mostly GA airplanes, so I'm willing to put up with the land reflection shimmering as long as I don't lose the wave effects. 

I'll experiment further when I get home tonight.

Thanks again!

Alexander Alonso

The key is that water slider in the fsx.cfg. I had the land reflection shimmering effect when I first installed Steve's fix last year. Even submitted a picture of the effect and Paul told me to lower this setting one notch. It worked!

But then you simply remove the reflections... I think people want to see a solution where you keep the reflections but without the shimmering. I doubt though if that will happen in FSX.

I can't check at the moment, but by lowering the water setting, at what point are the wave effects lost? 

Afaik you will keep the wave effects as long as you use 2x water: even the lowest settings has the animation. The only thing that you remove with that slider are the reflections. The highest setting reflects everything, the high setting reflects clouds and ground, the setting below that reflects clouds and the lowest reflects nothing. Or something like that. ^_^

Thank you, Jeroen! 

I'll definitely by experimenting further with this tonight.  I definitely like all of the reflections, with the exception of the shimmering land.  As you mentioned, it would be great if the land reflections were just smoothed a bit, especially those appearing from further away. 

Alexander Alonso

The way the reflection shimmers also depends on the wave animation itself. So you could try others. And I haven't tried it myself yet because I don't know of FSWC works with DX10 (I suppose so) but with that addon you should be able to tune reflections a bit down so you still see them but without becoming too annoying.

The way the reflection shimmers also depends on the wave animation itself.

This is what I found last night. The issue with the land shimmering seems caused by the wave animation. I tried a dozen of them last night - they all impact the why the shimmer reflection is displayed. That is why I settled for now on "Use This!"  I didn't try testing it with no wave animation at all. Maybe some can see if the reflection looks like a glass mirror.

I found "Use This" to be pretty good, too, and actually moved away from "Sparkling".. Too many textures! It's like a candy store - particularly when you own all of these "Essentials" and OverDrive" and "2012" and "Enhanced" textures, and FSWC and FSWCLite, and on and on. Cheesh! :lol:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.