Sign in to follow this  

Water

I often read about Use this: maybe I should use this too. Apparently it's pretty good!

Thanks Jeroen! I finally fixed my water animation issues. So REX and possibly FSWC were the culprits. I can say that I'm finally getting closer! And you guys weren't joking about dx10 water....freakin white caps!!! Love it!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Thanks Jeroen! I finally fixed my water animation issues. So REX and possibly FSWC were the culprits. I can say that I'm finally getting closer! And you guys weren't joking about dx10 water....freakin white caps!!! Love it!

You are very welcome. But I'd love to hear what you did exactly.  ^_^ Did you restore the default FSX animation and/or did you use another REX one (which one) and what did you do with FSWC?

EDIT

Found this in another topic!  ^_^

Just a follow up...water issues I was having are now solved. Restoring default textures in REX and then reapplying them worked for me. I left default wave animation set and voila! My dx10 white caps are there!  So happy I got this sorted.

Also the performance issues I was having in heavy clouds with 4xSGSS seems to have vanished now. I am getting solid fps and smooth fluid motions throughout my flight, panning, spot view....etc, etc even in overcast conditions. I just can't believe it. I am almost positive that recycling the default textures in REX solved that issue as well. I have yet to test my setup at higher TML's and LOD's, but currently at default it is performing really well. Mind you I try to stay locked at 40 for trackIR purposes.

Its difficult to explain how smooth the sim feels now until you really experience it. This is not a gimmick. So, I think I caught the bug, and turning back now will probably be impossible.

Big thank you to everyone that shared such invaluable information which brought me to this point and Steve for this monumental fix.  :Applause:

Does anyone know the names of the of the default wave animation files? I'd like to replace them manually rather than that back everything out of REX and reload everything but the water textures. With all my scenery add-ons I am afraid to overwrite something. 

Does anyone know the names of the of the default wave animation files? I'd like to replace them manually rather than that back everything out of REX and reload everything but the water textures. With all my scenery add-ons I am afraid to overwrite something. 

Yep, I'd like to do this as I have run into trouble trying to reinstall the default textures. Basically it has not worked... The REX GUI seems to be stuck on the options tab and I can't get out of it even with a reboot! I have done so be reinstallingt the relevent dll and xml files from a backup folder. So a manual install of the default FSX textures would be helpful...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Yep, I'd like to do this as I have run into trouble trying to reinstall the default textures. Basically it has not worked... The REX GUI seems to be stuck on the options tab and I can't get out of it even with a reboot! I have done so be reinstallingt the relevent dll and xml files from a backup folder. So a manual install of the default FSX textures would be helpful...

On the REX option tab you might have to specify your fsx folder before you can select any other tab, I had the same problem.

Cheers, Andreas

Thanks Andreas, but tonight I've given up the fight and gone back to DX9, just too many things not working and to top it all, two crashes this evening in my beloved NGX!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Thanks Andreas, but tonight I've given up the fight and gone back to DX9, just too many things not working and to top it all, two crashes this evening in my beloved NGX!

We should start a club! :lol:

However, despite how I feel about all this hooha over DX10, I just know I'll try it again as soon as the angst wears off. :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I have more testing to do myself guys so don't give up. After all my ills in the beginning I still need some assurance that what I am seeing is ACTUALLY happening.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

We should start a club! :lol:

However, despite how I feel about all this hooha over DX10, I just know I'll try it again as soon as the angst wears off. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean Ron... maybe I will too, but at the moment I just want to get back to flying!

I have more testing to do myself guys so don't give up. After all my ills in the beginning I still need some assurance that what I am seeing is ACTUALLY happening.

I know Marc, I felt exactly the same. The boost in performance was more than I could have wished for, but not enough to sacrifice all the other ills I'm afarid...

Howard

The boost in performance was more than I could have wished for, but not enough to sacrifice all the other ills I'm afarid...

For what it's worth, I've been a DX 10 skeptic.  I tried the tweaks about a year ago and ran into system performance problems that may or may not have been related.  Then, when I bought the fixer, i tried it twice and gave up twice.  It's only thanks to Jeroen's advice about how to handle anti-aliasing that I've begun to find my way.  I'm not all the way there yet but I'm increasingly impressed.

My sense is that even with the fixer, switching to DX 10 isn't exactly set-and-forget.  There are small details that need attention after the fixer is in place, and the documentation doesn't cover them in depth - maybe it can't, since so many different user systems are involved.

About the water specifically - I haven't done all the adjustments noted in this thread.  But after having awful initial results, I did the following: fire up the fixer, switch to DX 9, launch REX, change my water textures from "sparkling" to "use this," install them making sure to include the DX 10 wave animations, switch back to DX 10 in the fixer and go fly.  My initial test flight was at dusk, then at night, so I can't say I've given it a complete trial, but the results I saw looked much better than what I'd been getting.  Also, the big gray square in the Potomac near Tropicalsim KDCA that I'd been complaining about had disappeared.  All I can think is that my DX 9 water textures somehow got corrupted during my initial install - or maybe they were just wrong for DX 10 and were creating performance problems (looked bad and failed to load some tiles).  But now I feel like I've got the water going in the right direction.

Am continuing to tune - had big globular runway lights, but re-applied the old scalar tweak and that took care of things.  So, little by little it starts to fall into place.

I think it's just stubbornness that kept me in the game.  If I'd gone by my initial results I'd be back in DX 9 for good.  But something kept pulling me back - maybe the quality of the light in the sky in DX 10, or maybe I just don't like to give up ground.

If you feel like tweaking a bit, you can improve things.  The tweaking isn't excessive, just more than I'd initially thought I'd have to do.  If, on the other hand, you opted out... well, I've been there, too.

Thanks for the support Alan, maybe after a short time I will return, but for now I just want to do some flying...

Howard

For what it's worth, I've been a DX 10 skeptic.  I tried the tweaks about a year ago and ran into system performance problems that may or may not have been related.  Then, when I bought the fixer, i tried it twice and gave up twice.  It's only thanks to Jeroen's advice about how to handle anti-aliasing that I've begun to find my way.  I'm not all the way there yet but I'm increasingly impressed.

My sense is that even with the fixer, switching to DX 10 isn't exactly set-and-forget.  There are small details that need attention after the fixer is in place, and the documentation doesn't cover them in depth - maybe it can't, since so many different user systems are involved.

About the water specifically - I haven't done all the adjustments noted in this thread.  But after having awful initial results, I did the following: fire up the fixer, switch to DX 9, launch REX, change my water textures from "sparkling" to "use this," install them making sure to include the DX 10 wave animations, switch back to DX 10 in the fixer and go fly.  My initial test flight was at dusk, then at night, so I can't say I've given it a complete trial, but the results I saw looked much better than what I'd been getting.  Also, the big gray square in the Potomac near Tropicalsim KDCA that I'd been complaining about had disappeared.  All I can think is that my DX 9 water textures somehow got corrupted during my initial install - or maybe they were just wrong for DX 10 and were creating performance problems (looked bad and failed to load some tiles).  But now I feel like I've got the water going in the right direction.

Am continuing to tune - had big globular runway lights, but re-applied the old scalar tweak and that took care of things.  So, little by little it starts to fall into place.

I think it's just stubbornness that kept me in the game.  If I'd gone by my initial results I'd be back in DX 9 for good.  But something kept pulling me back - maybe the quality of the light in the sky in DX 10, or maybe I just don't like to give up ground.

If you feel like tweaking a bit, you can improve things.  The tweaking isn't excessive, just more than I'd initially thought I'd have to do.  If, on the other hand, you opted out... well, I've been there, too.

I was in the same boat. Although I am new to the DX10 forum, I've been lurking for ages, tried Steve's fixes from the beginning, and never had much success on two different computers. But, like Alan said, it all fell together this time around. I'm still shocked by the performance I am getting now, after 20 years simming, I have never seen performance like this from Microsoft Flight Simulator. I'm not sure MS ever saw performance like this. It's really sad that they gave up on this project, but thank god for a community that is fanatically moving it forward.

The experimentation continues - last night I tweaked the terrain.cfg as reccommened in the unofficial ORBX forum to add lights to vector roads.  Looked great but I immediately lost a bunch of frames.  Gained most of them back when I reduced Scenery Complexity one notch from full right.  Gained the rest of them back when I switched from the Baytower RV-7 to the RealAir Legacy in midflight.  I never had performance issues with the RV in DX9, but maybe it's not as optimal in DX10.  Not sure.  A lot of trial and error goes into this process.