Sign in to follow this  

Water

The experimentation continues - last night I tweaked the terrain.cfg as reccommened in the unofficial ORBX forum to add lights to vector roads.  Looked great but I immediately lost a bunch of frames.  Gained most of them back when I reduced Scenery Complexity one notch from full right.  Gained the rest of them back when I switched from the Baytower RV-7 to the RealAir Legacy in midflight.  I never had performance issues with the RV in DX9, but maybe it's not as optimal in DX10.  Not sure.  A lot of trial and error goes into this process.

Don't forget, the RV7 has a switchable DX10 option.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

the RV7 has a switchable DX10 option.

Hadn't known that.  Will switch it over - I'd hate to do without it.

Don't forget, the RV7 has a switchable DX10 option.

Thanks! Totally forgot about that!

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Anyone made some custom water textures for DX10 yet in REX that look good?  I'm not talking about the wave animations, but the ocean, inland blue, inland brown textures where you can tweak and create your own.  I just reinstalled FSX because I thought I was having corrupted water textures (looked off in both DX9 and DX10).  Turns out I was.  After the reinstall except using DX10 Fixer instead of the 3.2.2 free tweaks I was using before the same combo looks very very different.  I'd read something about not needing the water shader tweak from the 3.2.2 if you were using REX so I'd never installed it originally.  

So after the reinstall of everything the old setup of REX default water textures, any water animation (even default) and FSWC Lite's DX10 shader resulted in very very dark blue water with purple splotches in the texture.  Default FSX version of the shader is not a horrible color, but very bright blue and in the distance the reflection of the sky makes it look like there is fog on the water.

The best solution seems to be the DX10 Fixer version of the water shader.  It's a darker blue but still much brighter than I think real ocean water should be for instance.   The default FSX water textures (i.e. restoring REX backup, I made sure to have it backup my fresh install of FSX so I knew it was good) comes out a horrible light gray/blue so it seems like we definitely need a 3rd party texture + some sort of shader tweak.  Default FSX + FSWC Lite's DX10 shader just looked really bad (I made sure to delete the shader cache in between each change).

I guess on one hand I'm glad that I actually did have a problem with my water originally as evidenced by the fact that it looks totally different now at the exact same settings.  On the other hand I'm now frustrated trying to get the right color lol.  

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

FSWC can dramatically change how the water looks in different sceneries. My advice is, save your settings in a custom profile and revert to default whenever something seems wrong.

FSWC can dramatically change how the water looks in different sceneries. My advice is, save your settings in a custom profile and revert to default whenever something seems wrong.

In my case I was testing in "default" areas like around OMDB because it's easy to remember for some reason and has ocean and "coral" textures in the same area.  Yeah I know water can definitely look different in other places.  Orbx Australia and PNW definitely have their own water coloring, so there it's a matter of finding the right shader for sure because REX's water coloring textures (i.e. not the animations) have no effect.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro