Sign in to follow this  
cptrobie

Attempting FSX Migration: Single PC to Multiple PCs

In search of some answers in regard to moving from a single to multiple PC flt sim environment:

Without going through an extensive laundry list of HW & SW is this distribution correct?

MAIN PC:

FSX

Mesh, Landclass, Scenery, PhotoScenery

Addon Airports

Addon Aircraft

Addon Scenery

FSUIPC

Flt yoke, TQ, pedals

TrackIR

MS voice recognition (part of OS install)

Headset/mic

Networked PC(s):

WideFS

Simmconnect dlls

VA FSACARS apps

weather app

ATC app

EZCA

FS2Crew apps

Flt planning & Fuel calc SW

Flt monitor/tracking (EFB)

UI traffic app

Is this correct and am I missing anything?

TIA

i thought FS2Crew cant be networked?

Because the speech recognition engine is built into a gauge file that gets loaded via the host aircraft's panel.cfg file on your main Flight Simulator computer, the software is not networkable. A microphone or headset needs to be connected to your Flight Simulator computer.

Thanks for the reply,

I didn't know that FS2Crew couldn't be networked (Learned something new  B))

Aside from that does everything else look good?

Can EZCA be networked - that's the other app I wasn't sure about since I don't actually own it yet?

I'm currently going to try this too, and want to put AS2012 on my second sim PC.. Interested to follow this..

CPTRobie, do you have decent instructions on how to setup simconnect that you could please share mate?

What will you be using for flight planning and fuel calc apps?  If you're using PFPX, know that (at least for me) the FSUIPC/flight tracking will not work if you have it on the networked computer.  Lastnight I did a quick flight and can't be bothered running my second computer, I ran everything off my main one, and was able to get my aircraft's display on the map tracking on PFPX, whereas it is not possible in my networked computer.

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

Hiya Rob

Funny that, because I just finished following that vid about an hour or so ago, works perfectly, just need to figure out what the hell an "Active sky App data" folder is, and now why none of my go flight PMDG interface is now seemingly broken after installing the SDK's..

Simconnect works perfectly now though, but those 2 apps are now needing attention..

Richard,

Please keep me posted on your efforts because you are now farther ahead in the process than I am...

I hope to have everything sorted out this weekend.

Right now I'm having Level-D 767 & Fs2Crew Voice issues as FSX now crashes (worked before the Fs2Crew install).

Gonna try a reinstall of both products to see if that resolves the issue???

Last night I was finally able to work on the FSX host PC of the proposed flt sim network.

I reinstalled the Level-D, started FSX, reinstalled FS2Crew, restarted FSX, then reinstalled the FS2Crew update and tested.

This resolved the CTD issue so now I can get back to setting up the "network slave" PC and start installing sw on it.

Hey Robie

All done my end....

I followed Froogle Petes tutorial, to the letter, and it all worked first time, so was well chuffed with that...

Main O/C'd own built FSX RIG:

FSX and associated scenery/airports

737 NGX + GSX

Avlasoft EFB Data provider

Yoke and rudder

Second PC (Cheap ebay Optiplex 780 dual core with 500GB SSD)

Software:

AS2012 // Avlasoft EFB display unit // vRoute premium // Navigraph charts v4 // Simconnect & WideFS & GoFlight Interface tool & PMDG Interface (Simconnect apps)

Hardware:

16 GoFlight USB Modules, including 737 Throttle which seems to work perfectly via the PMDG interface over simconnect..

Logitech G13 for GSX, doors and other crap

17" Touch screen which is fitted to the cockpit arm

I just did my very first ever full flight in the 737-700 from EGSS to EHAM, foggy conditions to say the least, might as well have been fliying with no windows..

I have to say, offloading all that crud to the second PC seems to really help, and when it all works, WOW, its just AWESOME!

Cant believe its taken me over a year to get this far..

Few bugs with the PMDG interface though, but thats for pollypot to sort, nothing I can do about it..

Really annoyed the LGTII doesnt work properly..

So yeah, I'm all set now, so if you need any help, I would gladly try my best to help you if I can..

Luckily my I.T skillz are far better than my NGX skillz..

Richard,

Thanks for getting back to me and I'm glad to hear about your project!

I too have been flying for quite a while on one PC looking to make the move to a networked environment.

While I dont have any GOFLT modules we do have a lot of the apps in common so its comforting to hear about your success and knowing it CAN be done.

I hope to get to it this weekend as I first have to build my 2nd PC by taking my previous FLT PC hardware (2nd gen i7 and ATI card) and putting it into a case. Then I can focus on the communications aspect.

Quick question: Do you have any virus scan sw on either of your machines and do you turn them off when conducting a flt?

I do indeed Robie...

I have Avast Antivirus Pro running on both machines, at all times.

Would use anything else... But I do have the entire FSX directory excluded from its realtime protection, just to speed up load times and eliminate any stuttering that might happen as FSX accesses files. Now you mention it, maybe I should also exclude GEX/UTX too?

Be great if you filled in your profile bud, let us know a tad more about ya...

Where are you based mate?

I've been meaning to update it so now looks like as good a time as ever.

I still have more to add in the profile but I'm off to a good start...

Made some headway this past weekend, I've got the network PC almost completed, I just need to install and provision the OS and connect a couple of HDs and I can finally start working on the flying network

OK,

I've got my 2nd PC and network all sorted out. I've also got WideFS and the various versions of simConnect installed. So the next thing is to install the various SW apps.

Which did you start with and how difficult was it?