Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

RNAV approach help and RAAS problem

Okay, and all the files it outputs should be kept in the main fsx folder?

Yep.

Kyle Rodgers

I believe an RNAV approach refers to a glide path, not a glide slope.I've only tried this on the "other" 737NGX for which they have a tutorial or video on this subject.

Ron

Ron Service

The 777 doesn't have IAN like the 737 does.

Huh? What is the option in the FMC all about then? I even tried it out already. :huh:

Best regards,

Robin.

Thanks Robin and Kyle. Both replies explain what I am missing.

You're welcome!

Best regards,

Robin.

Well after running the program, and loading up EDDP, I get "approaching 08R" on the taxiway correctly, but then when I turn onto the runway it still says approaching 08R over again a few times.

Then when I take off, it warns me "on taxiway"

I am using Aerosoft EDDP

Then when I take off, it warns me "on taxiway"

I am using Aerosoft EDDP

Sounds like you might have an old AFCAD somewhere (other than the Aerosoft data), or the Aerosoft data is misaligned somehow.

Kyle Rodgers

No but the afcad is in a separate folder, aerosoft says it is for a reason. rather than being in the main scenery folder, it is in a separate folder...  aerosoft\afd

I meant a conflicting one.  Like, you installed your own AFCAD of the airport somewhere and didn't delete it before installing the Aerosoft version.  Either way, the Make Runways tool is reading from your sim.  So the problem can be found on your sim somewhere.  As I mentioned, it's either:

1. A problem with the Aerosoft scenery
  2. An AFCAD you didn't delete prior to installing the Aerosoft scenery
  3. ...or some other scenery-related issue

Kyle Rodgers

Some AI Traffic addons put their own AFCAD somewhere so that their AI traffic will taxi properly around airports (including taking highspeed exits properly instead of skidding to a halt and making a sharp turn on a 'reverse' highspeed exit). I have found this can make a conflict with the AFCAD's (because now there are 2).

AFCAD's like this don't effect what "you" see out the window, but RAAS will see it, and may have unintended effects. (like "you are now on 'taxiway' 31R" :P)

As I fly on Vatsim, I find these things to be annoying. (They have also showed up occasionally to make 'double taxiways' at some FTX enhanced airports in the UK)

Huh? What is the option in the FMC all about then? I even tried it out already. :huh:

Best regards,

Robin.

You can still fly a RNAV approach (along with others.)  You just won't get the added features that an IAN equipped aircraft have,

I meant a conflicting one.  Like, you installed your own AFCAD of the airport somewhere and didn't delete it before installing the Aerosoft version.  Either way, the Make Runways tool is reading from your sim.  So the problem can be found on your sim somewhere.  As I mentioned, it's either:

1. A problem with the Aerosoft scenery
  2. An AFCAD you didn't delete prior to installing the Aerosoft scenery
  3. ...or some other scenery-related issue

No duplicate afcad here, I am an experienced simmer.

I am an experienced simmer.

Even the most experienced can make boneheaded errors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

Part of troubleshooting is simply finding out where the boneheaded user error is, because that's often where the issue lies.  Sorry for the mini-rant, but I hate the experience argument.

In any case, it seems like a scenery problem anyway:

From what I understand, a lot of the custom airport scenery doesn't use the AFCAD for the visuals as much as it just has it there in the background so that the sim recognizes it.  Might want to check with Aerosoft to ensure the AFCAD matches the scenery.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

At first I thought it was the Aerosoft scenery with afcads outside the main scenery folder, but now I have the same problem with Aerosoft/Simwings LFPG. Afcad file is located properly in the main scenery folder, but approaching 09R on Y1, I get "approaching 09R" only when on the runway, and when taking off, it says "on taxiway"

Ahh - that's because you must set the MDA into the MCP altitude window in order for VNAV to follow the vertical profile, otherwise you're trying to ask it to descend below the MCP set altitude, which it won't do.

Which approach is it you are trying to fly?

Have a look at this chart: http://dtpp.myairplane.com/pdfs/SE-4/00026RY10.PDF

If you are trying to use LNAV/VNAV for the approach, then the minima become: 1483/58 which means:

DA 1483 - Decision Altitude of 1483 ft.

58 - 5800 ft RVR required

To fly this approach, you would set 1480 into the MCP altitude and use VNAV to fly the descent path. If you reach 1483 ft and you do not have the runway in sight, go-around.

If you're going to continue the approach below DA, then you would disengage the autopilot and fly manually. It would also be a manual go-around with flight director for lateral guidance (this is where we really need two-crew!).

Best regards,

Robin.

I had this same question in a post a couple of days ago.  This is the same problem that I have been having, but never really found a step-by-step list of instructions on how to fly these type of approaches.

Using this chart for an RNAV approach into Detroit Metropolitan Airport (KDTW), how would I program and fly it?

http://www.aircharts.org/data/view.php?id=6fcbc017-6f47-573a-bcf5-81d442f0b47d

From what someone said in a post above, I select the runway number, and only the number.  This creates a fake ILS glide slope.  As far as the altitudes are concerned, I enter a decision height into the MCP, which appears to be 1,100 FT for this particular approach.  Doing this will allow me to use both LNAV and VNAV to fly a 3-deg slope down to the MDA, where I would then disconnect, and manually land the aircraft.  Does that sound right??

Look at the first three images....this is what really is confusing to me.  Why would I want to just select the runway, when the actual RNAV approach to 4R is in the FMC already?

149880p.jpg

vq05ts.jpg

256x07p.jpg

This is what appears when I manually select the runway 4R, and when I choose "VFR APPR".

oax4r8.jpg

2e3a51l.jpg

So would I choose a VFR approach to the runway, or use the first method?

I feel I'm close to understanding this, I just need a little more clarification.

Thanks!!

So would I choose a VFR approach to the runway, or use the first method?

If you're flying an RNAV approach, select the RNAV approach. The VFR APPR option is just to create pseudowaypoints to offer a little guidance for a VFR approach.

Kyle Rodgers