Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

RNAV approach help and RAAS problem

In the NGX, you can do an rnav approach by pressing the approach button on final and the airplane helps guide you in. But I could not activate the approach button on final to an rnav approach.

Also on approach the airplane did not tell me I was coming up to runway 08R at EDDP. After landing it did say I had X feet remaining though.

For the first problem, the 777 isn't the 737. They don't work the same way, in the 777 you leave it on LNAV/VNAV for anything but an ILS approach. 

Steve Caffey

So LNAV/VNAV engaged while on an RNAV approach gives me a glide slope?

I think he means you press the APP button to capture the LOC/GS

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

So LNAV/VNAV engaged while on an RNAV approach gives me a glide slope?

No, it gives you an FMS computed vertical profile down to the stated MDA.

What you can do is if the runway does not have an ILS, you can select just the runway itself (instead of selecting ILS07L, just select 07 in the FMS), and it will ask you for a runway extension and whether to generate FMS generated glideslope or not. If you do this, you will be able to use IAN, and fly a fake ILS (note that you can NOT autoland, but you must disengage the autopilot at Cat. I minimums). You would be flying a NON PRECISION approach, and it requires Cat. I minimums or better (DH 200 ft, RVR 1800 ft). You will need to use other navaids as normal to monitor the approach - you can not use it in isolation.

Best regards,

Robin.

I realize I wont get an autoland, but I am getting a glide slope guidance with the RNAV approach that I can see on the ND, I just have no idea how to get the airplane to let me follow it. I'm flying manually with the FD engaged, but it refuses to follow the rnav approach, it wants me to hold at the missed approach altitude I have set. In the NGX when I got close enough to the airport, I could press approach and it would give me guidance on the approach path and I have no idea how the 777 works.

Ahh - that's because you must set the MDA into the MCP altitude window in order for VNAV to follow the vertical profile, otherwise you're trying to ask it to descend below the MCP set altitude, which it won't do.

Which approach is it you are trying to fly?

Have a look at this chart: http://dtpp.myairplane.com/pdfs/SE-4/00026RY10.PDF

If you are trying to use LNAV/VNAV for the approach, then the minima become: 1483/58 which means:

DA 1483 - Decision Altitude of 1483 ft.

58 - 5800 ft RVR required

To fly this approach, you would set 1480 into the MCP altitude and use VNAV to fly the descent path. If you reach 1483 ft and you do not have the runway in sight, go-around.

If you're going to continue the approach below DA, then you would disengage the autopilot and fly manually. It would also be a manual go-around with flight director for lateral guidance (this is where we really need two-crew!).

Best regards,

Robin.

I could press approach and it would give me guidance on the approach path and I have no idea how the 777 works.

The 777 doesn't have IAN like the 737 does.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Robin and Kyle.

You're welcome.  As for the RAAS issue, I'd check over at the RAAS Forum (under FS2Crew's AVSIM forum section).

If it's a new runway (newer than what was in the default version of FSX), you'll need to download and run the Make Runways tool from Pete Dowson's page: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks, but now after running the program, where do I put the files it output?

I don't believe this is the problem in the first place though, 08R at EDDP is not a new runway.

Thanks, but now after running the program, where do I put the files it output?

So that download came with a READ ME file.  Did you read it?

Kyle Rodgers

Yes but in the readme it says "after running the program to completion, just copy the files to their respective programs folders"

so I'm asking where those respective folders are located at.

Yes but in the readme it says "after running the program to completion, just copy the files to their respective programs folders"

I'm honestly surprised you read it, but you went a little too far.  That's for all the extra features for other programs.

FSX, ESP, Prepar3D

------------------
Place the EXE into your the relevant main FS folder.
MakeRunways will find the correct Scenery.CFG file automatically based on
the EXE name it finds there -- FSX.EXE, ESP.EXE or Prepar3D.EXE.

THEN
----
Double click the MakeRwys.EXE file in Explorer to run it.

The files created are derived by checking all of the BGLs in all of the Active 
scenery layers with locally installed files, as defined in the SCENERY.CFG 
file.

Done.  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers