Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Skeleton on view change

Well I have pin pointed mine Titan card went south on me - weekend of hell thinking it was fsx so looks like i am out of business for a while as its going back to evga, Their support so far has been awesome, cant afford another one of these right now so may want to think about hardware sometimes that could be it

Another thought you might want to think about more system ram, mine is 16 gig I thought I had 32 gig when I bought it so 32 gig Vengeance on its way from newegg, \

more ram = better performance 

Rich Sennett

Ouch...sorry to hear that. Hopefully they get that sorted quickly.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Thanks Marc not fun but at least I know what it is they had me load a stress tester ans it froze in 20 seconds lol - marc you may want to add some more ram to your machine

Thanks Rob for the kind words  :) appreciate it.

Rich Sennett

Actually, my understanding is that more RAM can affect OC performance and stability. My rig is specifically for FSX, so 8Gb is more than enough.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Ah got yah - I have a stable oc withe the 16 hope that holds true with 32 - it should  :)

Rich Sennett

Been testing this some more and the results may shed light on what is happening, but a cure is another thing.

If static on the ground, and you go from VC to spot view, and A again to Locked Ppot. Then Shift-S to go back to VC, maybe the first time you will have the VC texture load delay. Now do it again  - S to spot view, and then DO NOT move around in Spot view. Shift S back again, and no texture load delay - snaps back instantly!

Now go back to Spot and move around a bit, especially try to change view-pitch so some distant details come in to screen view, or just rotate around and around a few times. Now Shift-S back to VC and the load delay is back!

Same thing happens if I use EZdok to go into an external aircraft view, and DO NOT move around. Snap back to my "Captains View" and no delay in loading VC textures. Try again, this time in external EZdok view, move around a bit, go back to a VC view, and delay!

So it seems moving around in a new external view (can move around in VC as much as you want does not seem to cause a delay in loading external textures), causes loading of new texture sets that eventually replace the VC texture sets, so they have to reload on going back to the VC. I also noticed when an airport vehicle or two moved into view while in Spot view, that was enough to cause the VC textures to have to reload when going back to VC.

Now I assume, but still have to test this, that once in-flight, one is going to be saddled with VC texture reloads. Even if one does not pan around while in Spot (do not change view orientation), one will almost always have new cloud textures and ground textures loading constantly, so the VC textures will get replaced in the "stack" (I assume this is happening in video memory in DX10?), and will have to be re-loaded.

As to why not in DX9, maybe it has something to do with DX9 not copying video memory to GPU and doing this in VAS, whereas in DX10, it is utilizing video memory, that fills, some textures get flushed, and then it takes a second or two to reload them when needed again.

Am no computer expert but just throwing an idea out that may explain the observed behavior. If this is the case, if only there was some way to "protect" VC textures in video memory from being replaced, and just let all the other stuff come and go.

For now it looks like "stay in the VC" in flight, but I can understand that Rich, as an aircraft repainter, needs to "get outside" often to have a look at how his masterpieces are developing.

Anyhow, Rich, I downloaded your NZ Black livery; really great repaint - thanks very much. Now all I have to do is persuade SAA to buy a 777-200LR, and we can design a Springbok Green and Gold livery to compete!

Rob

Robin Harris

Rich,

I have the same issue with VC and Spot view loading but it is for about a second loading into the VC and even less on the external skeleton view. I have a 780 with 3GB of onboard memory. It is noticeable, but at this point it is not a show stopper on my end.  

Also, more RAM really will not effect performance past a point, and that point is about 8GB (and this has nothing to do with the VAS conversation) in the case of FSX. Unless you are doing HD video rendering or running 3 or 4 games in the background while simming 32GB of Ram won't help performance at all. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Rob I have noticed your findings but having a bad titan I cant prove or disprove but i will report back as soon as I get a new one back for sure - Jordan let you know if your theory is right but I am thinking my new ram increase will help but let you know thinking its going to be at least a week without my rig no fun anyway wish you guys luck - will gt back to you asap on this

Rich Sennett

Rich, sorry about the Titan card going bad on you. Leaves one totally stuck. Here in Thailand with the temps I have I always wonder when my CPU or GPU may fry - dread the day! I keep the aircon on, but then I freeze!

Tested some more and can confirm what I have noted above, and that when flying, unless one goes to spot and back to VC pretty quickly, one is stuck with the delayed VC texture loading. Also going to Spot the skeleton issue is more pronounced, I think because one has a whole lot of scenery loading up in the window views, that then forces a re-load of externals going to Spot after a while. Again if one goes to the VC and quickly back to Spot, she loads up with no skeleton transition.

All this testing the PMDG777 only so far, have to test the NGX next and see what that does.

Hope you come right soonest.

Rob

Robin Harris

Hi Rob - thanks  :) I did not notice any problems in dx9 switching views no lag what so ever but when I went to dx10 the problems started but as a coincidence I am thinking my card was going bad so I cant disprove dx10 being an issue but I will get to the bottom of it and pass that on because the vc and spot lag is unacceptable  :) keep you posted my friend, just have to get that fedex box out tonight and wait a bit 

Rich Sennett

Hi guys

I had the skeleton view with the T7 throughout a flight yesterday.(I had loaded a flight from the flight planner at the startup screen) and 4XAA.

Today I disabled AA from the main fixer program and loaded the aircraft direct at an airport (instead of a flight plan) via the main menu and there were no issues.

I am using the DX10 preview and enjoy it too much to change now.

Thought that might be helpful to some.

Cheers

Jay

Thanks Jay have to try this tried everything else including new hardware if you disabling AA in fixer how are you maintaing you AA then - thanks

Rich Sennett

I was told that you get the skeleton when your texture max load is 1024.  If you change to 4096, the skeleton issue goes away (I tried it, it worked for me).  However, that also means your are running with the max texture resolution on the plane and at add-on airports.  I was told the reason for the skeleton is that the graphics card has to convert the 4096 texture to 1024 before it loads, hence the delay.  It doesn't do that when TML is set to 4096.  I also heard it was possible to change the textures to 1024, but that seems too involved to me.  I'd do it if there was a simple way, as I don't really see the differenct between the settings.

--Don.

Don Polidori

Don wow have to try this also when I get home - thanks a lot really appreciate the help

Rich Sennett