Sign in to follow this  
IADZRH

FS9 Continues to Run Even After Closing

First time poster, long time reader. :smile:

Last May I ended up getting a new computer after my old one died.  The specs of my current computer are as follows:

Shuttle SH67H3 Intel Core i7/i5/i3 Intel Socket H2 Barebone

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.40GHz Quad Core

8GB RAM

GeForce GTX550 Ti 1GB

Windows 7 Professional SP1

It seems that since I got this new computer, FS9 continues to run in the background even though I have closed the program by either hitting the X in upper right-hand corner or by selecting End Flight.  The only way that I can close FS9 completely is by going into Windows Task Master, selecting FS9.exe under the Process Tab, and then clicking the End Process button.

Over time things would continue to get worse.  When I had FSUIPC installed, I would receive a message that duplicate FUIPCs were installed and the program would not start - it would just hang on the splash screen.  When I went to the Task Master window it would say that FS9 was not responding.  If I closed the program using the previously mentioned method in the Process Tab, FS9 would restart.  It eventually got so bad that FS9 would never restart.  So I decided to uninstall FS9 and start anew.  (I even did a disk clean and a disk defrag after uninstalling.)

After a lot or reading, here is what I have done so far.  I reinstalled FS9 under a separate folder called Program Files on my D-drive.  (I did not install it under the default folder.)  I installed the FS9.1 Upgrade as instructed.  I then made the program Large Address Aware using the 4g patch and CFF Explorer.  I also made sure that FS9 was being run as an administrator.

Unfortunately after all that, FS9 still continues to run in the background after closing and will only close completely if I go into the Task Master program.  I am obviously rather frustrated and out of ideas on how to solve this problem.  Does anyone have any possible solutions to this problem?

If anyone can help me solve this problem, I would be most grateful.  I really would like to get back to rebuilding my FS9 and actually flying it as opposed to dealing with this annoying problem.  Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give.

PS  I hope that this is the right forum.  If it is not, please advise.

PPS  Once I am in FS9, it runs beautifully and is very stable.

I am sorry to do this, but I did forget something.  When I first ran the fresh install of FS9, I received the following error upon closing from Microsoft: 

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\fs9.CFG.txt

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\dxdiag.xml

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\scenery.cfg

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFDA1.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WER13A1.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WER144E.tmp.mdmp

I hope that this additional info might help.

Think you would do best by taking the bull by the horns and starting afresh. Far more going on under the hood than is meeting the eye.

Reinstall Windows and get that right as you want it before installing MSFS and DO NOT save any folders from the original install to copy across to the new.

It will save you a lot of grief and more importantly, time.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

IADZRH.

No expert here,but I question your choice of folder name. Program Files. I think this may confuse the install as there is a "Program Files" already (as far as I know) Any how,I would suggest you uninstall FS9 and  create a new folder with a simple name like C:\FS9, (or whatever drive letter you are using) and install in there. 

If you search the forums you will find a good article on uninstalling and re installing FSX.  may be this will guide you with your FS9 install

Dennis

Dennis Elliott