Sign in to follow this  
captain_adf

Purchase and read PMDG manuals without windows

This is definitely not a common request so I will totally understand if I am out of luck, but is it possible to purchase the T7 (or any PMDG sim for that matter), using a non-windows system?

The reason is that my PC is in storage and I will not have access to it until December.  For work I am strictly Mac and linux.  I can't find a windows machine anywhere!  You can't imagine how left out I have been feeling watching the excitement of the 777 release and knowing that I will be unable to actually fly the thing for another several months.  I was hoping maybe it's possible to buy it just so I can read the manuals and study up in anticipation.

So my basic question is:  when you download the 777, is the package a self-extracting exe or is it a regular zip file that would at least allow me to extract the manuals without having a windows machine?

Here's hopin,

adf

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

You can buy it on just about any device with internet access, installer is an exe though. Maybe you could try running the installer under wine to extract the manuals though.

There are various programs you can get that will allow you to run windows on your mac or linux box.

He just wants to exact the .exe file.

While FSX might run under WINE,the flexnet service might not.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

So my basic question is:  when you download the 777, is the package a self-extracting exe or is it a regular zip file that would at least allow me to extract the manuals without having a windows machine?

Here's hopin,

adf

It's a self-extracting exe.  You don't get access to the manuals without installing the airplane.

If you want to, and are allowed to do so (being a work computer etc.), you can always install Windows via Boot Camp on a Mac. That way, it will run natively, and you can use the hardware to the full potential.

While FSX might run under WINE,the flexnet service might not.

I am not sure - but does flexnet enter into installation? As long as his aim is to get the manuals, he doesn't even need to have FSX installed.