Sign in to follow this  
leghorn

How people land (visually) towards the blinding sun?

Just after finding out (I think) that my polaroid glasses that say polaroid on the side, are not in fact polaroids, at least, not based on holding another polaroid screen up to them and rotating it through 90 degrees...  :mellow:  Looks like they're just anti glare sunglasses...  :mellow:  I feel quite betrayed...

Regards.

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Just after finding out (I think) that my polaroid glasses that say polaroid on the side, are not in fact polaroids, at least, not based on holding another polaroid screen up to them and rotating it through 90 degrees...  :mellow:  Looks like they're just anti glare sunglasses...  :mellow:  I feel quite betrayed...

Regards.

Ró.

I've never seen a pair of Polaroid's that WEREN'T polarised... but my personal preference is for Mako polarised glasses, with glass laminate lenses.  They block some of the blue light coming in and the polarisation cuts down on the glare, great for bright sunny days on the water or in the air here in Australia.  For my purposes (gliding) a good pair of polarised glasses are essential, as they help you pick out some haze domes on top of thermals in non-cumulus producing conditions.

Many thanks for your explanations, guys. My local airport is 09/27 at 42N, so it really made me wondering many times while taking 'epic' photos.

WarpSpider74, that was an amazing landing! I thought you'll slam her hard at first, due to late flare, but all went so perfect! Gotta check more glider videos for sure!

Thanks mate!  Was a pretty normal landing... they look pretty steep if you're used to a nice stabilised approach in a powered aircraft.  They have to be steep, normally made with half spoilers deployed, as you can't let an undershoot situation develop - no engine to perform a go-around  :wink:  Also, the damn things just want to stay airborne, so flare is typically only a couple of feet off the deck.

Cheers,

Derek

id agree with Ronan, I have a pair of polarized sunglasses and helps whenever i land on my hometown airport, runway 26 which faces west during the sunset.... sun right in my eyes but with a sun vizor and glasses i can see fine. I also found the polarized glasses way easier for spotting other traffic! 

...my polaroid glasses that say polaroid on the side, are not in fact polaroids...

Forgeries! :lol:  Pirate sunglasses..

Just after finding out (I think) that my polaroid glasses that say polaroid on the side, are not in fact polaroids, at least, not based on holding another polaroid screen up to them and rotating it through 90 degrees... :mellow: Looks like they're just anti glare sunglasses... :mellow: I feel quite betrayed...

Regards.

Ró.

Polaroid is a brand name, they also used to make cameras for example.

Light that is aligned, or filters that filter such light are polarised.

So your Polaroid glasses are in fact Polaroids (unless you got knock-offs), but not necessarily polarised.