This is a kind of precaution post to those who are going to upgrade computers for FSX.

Today i have got my brand new Gigabyte GTX760OC 2Gb graphic board.

760 is replacement for my old 460.

And ... got nothing extra, maybe 1fps, maybe not.

With my old GTX460 at OMDB ( FLY TAMPA ) with PMDGT7 i had around 20fps with mouse pointer, around 26-28 without mouse pointer.

With new GTX760 i have exactly same values !!, nothing gained.

No extra fps, texture loading time same - no any noticeable change.

It is hard to believe, but it's true.

So why to buy expensive graphic, no sense.

I think top graphic for FSX is GTX650, buying anything better is pure waste of money - as long as we are talking about computer which is built exclusively for FSX.

My computer was built only for FSX, so with done upgrade to 760 i got nothing.

Artur 

Been there, done that.

Big payware airports + complex A/C = CPU limited.

You could try upping your antialiasing to justify the upgrade somehow. 2xSGSS may be a big hit in clouds  for a 760 though, try it and see how you like it.

If you want more performance, get a good cooler & overclock that I7 to some 4 - 4.2GHz

Not surprising, graphic card doesn't really matter much with FSX. I have a high end graphics card only because I like to play other games too, overclocking my i7-2600k to 4.4ghz is what made the difference. 

Not surprising, graphic card doesn't really matter much with FSX. I have a high end graphics card only because I like to play other games too, overclocking my i7-2600k to 4.4ghz is what made the difference. 

It matters a great deal in the right circumstances! Yes, in clear skies at a major airport you may not see much of a difference between an expensive 780 and an older 460. But in heavy cloud the 780 will give you a big improvement.

Have a read of his GPU comparison and look at the difference for FSX Test Clouds AA results. Although he has reviewed the Titan the 780 is very close for far less money.

http://#####.wordpress.com/fsxp3d-gpu-comparison-aka-gtx-titan-for-fsx-test/

FScamp, I see you have an ATI card. Those unfortunately do not produce the best results in FSX. nVidia is a much better chipset.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yeah I felt the same when going from a 460 to a 580. I did the mildest OC to my CPU (8% I think) and got much more noticeable results from that.

It also matters more if you switch to DX10.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Gygabite and ATI are not the best bedfellows. I have a Gforce 960 video card that would be the bare minimum for FSX.

Also have you optimised your MB? go through your Bios and make sure there are no conflicts. The most common is not disabling the on board sound and video when cards are attached.

Not really hard to believe, it's the same card, same chipset, with very mild higher clock.  Just a later series.     Good old marketing companies are making a fortune.

the only real upgrade since the 400 series is the 780 and the Titan which use the newer 110 cuda cores.    

This is a kind of precaution post to those who are going to upgrade computers for FSX.

Today i have got my brand new Gigabyte GTX760OC 2Gb graphic board.

760 is replacement for my old 460.

And ... got nothing extra, maybe 1fps, maybe not.

With my old GTX460 at OMDB ( FLY TAMPA ) with PMDGT7 i had around 20fps with mouse pointer, around 26-28 without mouse pointer.

With new GTX760 i have exactly same values !!, nothing gained.

No extra fps, texture loading time same - no any noticeable change.

It is hard to believe, but it's true.

So why to buy expensive graphic, no sense.

I think top graphic for FSX is GTX650, buying anything better is pure waste of money - as long as we are talking about computer which is built exclusively for FSX.

My computer was built only for FSX, so with done upgrade to 760 i got nothing.

I also have a GTX460 and have absolutely no problems with it what so ever, even under heavy clouds. If it's not broken don"t fix it.

480 is having Fermi architecture, 760 is equipped with Kepler core which is quite different.

Memory clock, gpu clock and memory bandwith are much different...

Artur 

If you want higher fps disable car tragfic or OC you CPU.

If ypu want smooth flight lock fps at 30.

If you want better IQ and higher resolutions you need a better video card and or monitor.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

It also matters if you blow up to a larger screen / resolution

Size is immaterial, it's the resolution that's important. 1920x1080 on a 40" will give the same performance as on a 24". But if you want a screen larger than 30" a TV is a better option as a 30" monitor generally has a 2560x1600 and will adversely affect fps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yesh, I meant more on resolution.

I have a 30" Monitor at 2560x1600 running on an ati 6990.

Funnily enough if I drop the resolution to 1920x1200 there is very little if any noticeable frame rate improvement.

So would summise the CPU is doing it's job (Handling what is around us, as we know FSX is CPU hungry),

and the GPU is doing it's job (Handling what it see's & texturing it, not how much is around it).

I assume dropping bellow there may see some slight improvement in frame rates, but kind of defeats of choosing a 30" screen really,

Great for VFR approaches, no need to play with Lod, still leave it at 4.5 and can line up from a good distance with lights & lay (direction) of the runway.

FScamp, I see you have an ATI card. Those unfortunately do not produce the best results in FSX. nVidia is a much better chipset.

False. Was true a few years ago. Not so much in the current generation. 7970 = GTX680, 7950 = GTX660ti

That said, ATI has no anwer to the GTX780 and Titan yet.

Also, ATI 4xSSAA is not quite as sharp as 8xS with 2xSGSS Transparancy enabled. It's more like 4xS with 2xSGSS.

Charles.