Sign in to follow this  
Jacoba

Boeing 777 Worldliner Professional vs PMDG 777

After reading this post and several others about X-plane, If I were Laminar Research, I would be catering to Robert at PMDG, it sounds like their are many people like myself that on the fence about jumping to X-Plane. I will have to admit when PMDG starts creating aircraft for X-plane, I will hit the buy button.

Well I don't think that it would mean faster development since they are already working on their first X-Plane conversion for some time, and they also said that it wont be the last. Think about how long the PMDG 777 was in development while the FF 777 had in its first version less than a year under its belly by a much smaller team.

After reading this post and several others about X-plane, If I were Laminar Research, I would be catering to Robert at PMDG, it sounds like their are many people like myself that on the fence about jumping to X-Plane. I will have to admit when PMDG starts creating aircraft for X-plane, I will hit the buy button.

I have enjoyed MS for a long time, I and will continue in the future, but  knowing what a 64bit operating system can do for gaming applications makes me hope that it comes sooner than later...

I am sure the X-Plane 777 is a great aircraft, however as long as people are asking about should they or shouldn't buy it, tells me that there is market share for PMDG to grow and expand their market share in the X-Plane platform...

And If and when they do other developers will follow, and I am sure the lack of AI and other things that are in X-Plane that need developed or improved will happen rather quickly....

Just my thoughts...

+1

Count me in as well!

Having PMDG on a 64bit platform such as X-Plane would make me join X-Plane right away.

For now i am still "on hold" but sure and just as You have described it, certainly "... on the fence about jumping to X-Plane ..." as well!

Cheers, Christoph

... but i assume we are moving a bit "Off topic" here now!

It's post like these that make me want to know right now what product PMDG will reproduce for XP10.  RSR and Austin are constantly in communication, if you remember RSR's speech at a recent convention.

I also own both, and I think PMDG has a clear advantage overall.  However, XP10 is a modern game that takes advantage of today's computers, and I love how smoothly it runs.  In short, I think PMDG beats FF in systems realism and exterior model.  I wish FF's 777 would have the real wing flex and more gradual step climbs.  I do love the WX radar on FF and the fact that XP's weather engine does require you to go around storms, unless you want to lose your aircraft.  But keep in mind that PMDG has been around much longer.  I think FF will continue to update their product too.

My usage tends to be 75% FSX and 25% XP10.  The recent release of Steve's DX10 fixer has given my FSX a life extension, and with the NGX and the 777, I have a few years of flying left.  At the same time, I'm excited for the future of XP.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Probably that is the reason why you find the FF 777 more interesting to handfly...

I think you got it backwards, Mike said he finds the PMDG T7 more enjoyable to hand fly not the FF777

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

-flight models for helis and planes are better and more realistic in xp10

Get outta here!  (not literally, just with false 'prophecies' like the above).

Did you read that from the X-Plane carton? :lol:

Not even in the same league.  Seriously, if you measured the featues and functionality against a real 777, the PMDG would probably come out in excess of 90% and the P&R Worldliner one for XP10, less than 40%........

I think you got it backwards, Mike said he finds the PMDG T7 more enjoyable to hand fly not the FF777

Oops!   You're right :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Seriously, if you measured the featues and functionality against a real 777, the PMDG would probably come out in excess of 90% and the P&R Worldliner one for XP10, less than 40%........

Can you give me a short list with the 60% missing in the X-Plane 777? (As I said, I'm seriously interested in such facts, because most people on judge based on gut feelings.)

• Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Well, my main problem with the PMDG has little to do with PMDG itself... they are cursed by the system they are required to work within.

Windows and FSX.

Neither are very stable, never have been... probably never will be... 

I run XP9 and 10 via Mac OSX and its rock solid. 

Especially on long haul flights... I've never had XP9/10 CTD on any long haul... cannot say that for FSX.

• Upvote 1

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Interesting-I bought my first Mac-an I Mac last Xmas. First thing I tried was my Mac compatable flights sims and I found they ran significantly slower than on my 4 year old pc. I also had constant crashes with the operating system-mostly freezes- but was determined because I needed to publish something on iBooks-who's interface also constantly crashed leading me to have to repeatedly have contact Apple support. Finally got the job done after a frustrating 3 months and haven't had the machine on since. Gives me the thought to go turn it on today-let it update its OS and see if things have improved.

I do love my iPhone/iPads but interestingly Wingx my rw flight software advises strongly not moving to OS7 due to crashing in the OS-have already experienced a couple myself.....

Get outta here!  (not literally, just with false 'prophecies' like the above).

Did you read that from the X-Plane carton? :lol:

Not even in the same league.  Seriously, if you measured the featues and functionality against a real 777, the PMDG would probably come out in excess of 90% and the P&R Worldliner one for XP10, less than 40%........

Facts please, not wildly vague probabilities.

• Upvote 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Well, my main problem with the PMDG has little to do with PMDG itself... they are cursed by the system they are required to work within.

Windows and FSX.

Neither are very stable, never have been... probably never will be... 

I run XP9 and 10 via Mac OSX and its rock solid. 

Especially on long haul flights... I've never had XP9/10 CTD on any long haul... cannot say that for FSX.

Speak for yourself! My FSX setup has been rock solid since installation in 2006.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

The FF 777 is the best 777 available for X-Plane 10, as of now.

I was on several occasions about to start a list of the differences between the two prodcuts, but I thought to myself, what would I gain from it, and above all, what would X-plane 10 users gain?

If one is using X-Plane 10 as his main / only flight simulator, then the FF 777 is the best 777 they can have, and it's a very nice model to add to the "Heavies" folder.

Given the limitations for coding complex characteristics of engines and systems in X-plane 10, as those mentioned by one of the FF 777 authors, maybe only solved with XP 11, there s really no point in comparing this 777 with the PMDG version for FSX.

BTW: I have completed more than 15 long haul flights (some using the new time compression mode )  with injected RWW in fsx without a single crash!  FSX runs smooth as silk for me, even on my medium/low end PC ( i5 2500 k @ 3.3 Ghz ) with the PMDG 777 :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Facts please, not wildly vague probabilities.

Ok how about a fictional TOGA button, Yes the PMDG uses the screw, but that's the difference The screw is on the real plane, the TOGA button on the MCP is not. Then there is the non prototypical EFB. Again the PMDG doesn't model the EFB, but it is prototypical for a 777 to only have the clipboard. Captain Sim did model the EFB on theirs, and it is graphically realistic. Then on the FF 777 the Acpt, Canl Reject buttons are being used to clear EICAS alerts. again this is not done on the real 777. (The recall/cancl button does this.) Those buttons are part of the communication system to respond to ATC  instructions. Which neither sim models at this point. Then there is the external problems, most notably the Flaps.  When deployed on the FF777 there is too much of a gap between the flap and the spoilers. Both PMDG and CS has modeled this correctly.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Speak for yourself! My FSX setup has been rock solid since installation in 2006.

I've been simming since the days of SubLogic... my first MSFS was version 5... owned everyone since then... I've used every windows platform since Win95, across more than 10 computers, many were custom built for FS.

All of them were buggy, never worked properly and CTD daily... 

Why I switched to Mac... out of frustration with MS. 

The only sim I've never had trouble with was XP, then only on Mac OS...

It's a terrible feeling to set your FS up for a long haul flight for an over night trip say from LAX to London, only to awake to a CTD or BSOD... I honestly cannot recall ever completing a flight with MSFS longer than 3 or 4 hours without trouble of some kind. 

I've left iMac and XP9 running for 2.5 days straight, had the 747 set to fly around the world with unlimited fuel just to see if it could be done.

Had no trouble at all, including times I used the same iMac to surf the net for hours while XP did its thing in the background... 

• Upvote 1

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

MAC ==> XP10

LINUX ==> XP10

WINDOWS ==> XP10, FSX, DCS, IL2, ELITE...

two sayings here in Portugal... They both adapt so well to this thread, but there's no easy translation...

"Quem o feio ama, bonito lhe parece..."

"Quem não tem cão, caça com gato..."

Main Simulation Rig: