Sign in to follow this  
EDDW

NPOLE Trackproblems

Hello,

i will flying with the 777 at the Polarregion- coming from EXITA then NPOLE and going to JESRU.

the Plansite on the ND shows me a very unclear Track at the Waypoint NPOLE. See Picture

My Question is: Whats going on at this Waypoint? FSX-Problem?

I use the Aerosoft NavDataPro AIRAC cycle: 1310 Revision: 1
Valid (from/to): 19/SEP/2013 - 16/OCT/2013

greatings Kalle near EDWB

I'd be interested to hear about this as well. I haven't seen anyone really talk about polar routes. I always imagined that it might wreak havoc on the IRU as you near the pole.

Hello,

It is my understanding that FSX doesn't handle very high latitudes very well with regards to navigation. LNAV on complex aeroplanes like PMDG's will gradually go wonky the closer to the poles you get, I notice the accuracy start to drop off around 88 degrees in both hemispheres of the FSX world. Just change to HDGSEL mode about 300NM from the pole. You can go back to LNAV again when you are 300NM from the pole having overflown it with HDGSEL mode.

Hope this helps

Glen

As the nav system is independent of FSX, that has no bearing on the fact that something has gone wrong in the aircraft.

I have flown close to the pole, but not over it yet. I did that in the MD-11 years ago and it was fine (with certain caveats).

What happens if you manually enter the coordinates for the north pole? N90W000

Best regards,

Robin.

Hello and thanks for your answers!

but after manually enter N90W000 for the Npole the problems still exist. and  flying under

LNAV / VNAV the plane goes over the Npole in a circleholding. its nice.

when the flightroute is ca 300 miles far from the Npole, all is fine.

anny ideas??

Greetings kalle near eddw

well according to an air Canada 777lr captain in one of my 777lr polar routes dvd's they are also warned about flying over the pole in the real aircraft and to be prepared for violant autopilot manuveurs if you do so. so they fly to one side to avoid problems in true heading mode but still in lnav 50 -100 nm offset .

kav

Yeah I think I heard that too in the Just Planes 777-200LR polar route DVD and also read elsewhere (FCOM I'm guessing) that you should not fly directly over the poles.  I've done 4 polar routes, closest one was like 85nm from the pole and no problems.

I also yet to see a flight-plan where N90W000 is a planned coordinate.