Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

A Turkeyshoot on Engine Sounds.

After reading another post regarding someone having trouble with PMDG NGX  engine sound remaining after reducing reverse thrust, I thought I would make this inquiry. That thread also included a reply that some sound problems were FSX originated and nothing could be done about it, but thought I would ask anyway.

Engine sounds vary in FSX for me beginning when I upgraded to Windows 7 Premium Home some time ago.

1. Some seem correct and are adjustable with the "Options>Settings>Sound>Engines" provisions provided in FSX.(Not necessarily MSFS default aircraft)

2. Some are silent regardless of anything I have tried.

3. Some are constant, sometimes excessively loud and cannot be adjusted or even silenced by unchecking the "Engines" option mentioned above.

4. Some are present at least at an acceptable level in the Cockpit view, but not in the outside view, (Level may or may not be adjustable)

5. Some are present at least at an acceptable level in the outside view, but not in the Cockpit view. (Level may or may not be adjustable)

6. I am not sure about this, but it seems like some that have not worked, did work at a later time when chosen, and visa versa. Again, I am not positive of this.

Thee are probably other variations as well, but this should illustrate the scenario and you get the idea.

Note that the only time I ever fly MSFS default aircraft is for troubleshooting purposes, but in checking, I find that the default Jets I have tried have no sound. The default Baron does. On a default Aiirbus, I disabled (renamed) the sound folder and patched in the LDS767 Sound Folder and then had sound. I have not checked all of the default birds as I never fly them.

I have discovered that with a number of aircraft, I have disabled the default sound that came with the bird, and patched in one that works in another. Some times this has worked, and with others it has not had any affect in other application.

I also thought maybe the problem was not in FSX or integral to that setup, but was relative to the sound system on my computer. I have tried every combination I can think of in those settings to no avail. I am using the Realtek HD Audio Manager through Creative 5.1 Speakers.

My System Specs are attached for whatever that might be worth.

If anyone else has a similar system, been down this road and found the solution, I sure would appreciate your input.

Respectfully:

RTH

Primary Computer:

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2700K CPU

Corsair H80 (CSCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2X4GB) 240 Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC312800) Memory

Windows 7 Premium 64 Bit Operating System

EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 Video Graphics Card

EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512 bigt DDR3 Video Graphics Card

24" Viewsonic VA2431wm LCD Primary Monitor

24" Viewsonic VA2431wm LCD Secondary Monitor

24" Acer LCD Primary Monitor off Secondary Video Card

Nvidia version 314.22 Drivers for Video Cards

1 Western Digital Velco/Raptor WD3000HLFS 300 GB 10000RPM WATA 3 GB System Harddrive

1 Western Digital Velco/Raptor WD3000HLFS 300 GB 10000RPM WATA 3 GB FSX Harddrive

1 each Segate 320GB SATA FS9 Harddrive

1 each Segate 320GB SATA Backup / Utility Harddrive

2 Each CDRW/DVDRW

PlusDeck 2C Audio Tape Player/Recorder

Konica Minolta magicolor 2400W Laser Printer

HP Officejet 4315V Fax/Printer,Copier

CH Pro USB Pedals

CH USB FlightSim Yoke

Microsoft FFB2 USB Joystick

Logitech Keyless Keyboard

Logitech cordless mouse

High Speed Cable Internet/email Service with Router

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-1200M 1200 W v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

SuperPower ATX Full Tower Case with sides Large Fans Customized for more ventilation (Seven Fans total)

Note: Keyboard and Mouse are shared with a secondary Computer for WinXP Pro 32 bit programs, Implementation is by Synergy Free Software.

Secondary Computer:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Quad Core CPU

6GB (3x2GB) 240 Pin DDR3 1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK Memory

WinXP Pro 32 Bit

NVIDIA Evga Geforce 8400GS 512MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card

24" HP LCD Monitor

Navidia version 314.22 drivers for Video Card

1 each Segate 250GB UIDE Harddrive

Std. Floppy Drive

CDRW/DVDRW

WINTV

Epson Perfection 2480 Photo Scanner

MicroTech Z!O! Flash Card Reader

Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Sound to Creative Inspire 5.1 5200

Speakers

Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675 Watt Power Supply

Note: Keyboard and Mouse are shared with a primary Computer for WinXP Pro 64 bit programs, Implementation is by Synergy Free Software.

What exact speaker model are you using? Does it plug in to the green/black/orange ports of your sound card or are you going through the optical port?

Thanks for the reply Molleh:

My Speakers are the Creation Inspiration 5.1 5200 Model.

Connections to the computer are the "green/black/orange ports of Onboard Sound (Realtek HD Audio)

Note that there is no problem with music or any other sound application with the exception of MSFS, and it is really something I can live with, but I do wonder if there is a simple solution I am missing in the setup.

Thanks again:

RTH

Ok. First thing to know is that some add ons (mainly A2A and PMDG) run some sounds, including engine sounds in A2A's case at least, outside of FSX. That means that the normal FSX sliders sometimes don't work to change the volume levels, and you have to either use one of the pop-ups (usually shift-2 or shift-3 with A2A) or the FMC options page with PMDG to tweak those custom sound effects volume levels.

Secondly, you should check what you have listed under Control Panel -> Sound. That will list whatever output devices are listed as usable by your O/S. If you happen to have a device listed besides the Realtek onboard audio (this could be a USB headset or a variety of other hardware), some programs may be configured to output through that device even if you're not using it.  For example if you had a USB headset plugged in, but are still using your 5.1 speakers normally, PMDG or A2A aircraft may actually be outputting sound to the USB headset (or whichever device it may be) and then you won't hear it coming from your regular speakers.

Lastly, you should check that your 5.1 speakers are configured properly. In most cases to do this you would open the Control Panel -> Sound window again, select the Realtek output you're using, and click Configure. In there typically you can select your speaker configuration and verify it's set to 5.1. Depending on the software/drivers for the Realtek, you may have to use the Realtek utility (you probably have a tray icon for it) to configure your speakers that way.

Hello again Molleh:

I do not have any A2A  aircraft (Just looked at their site, and may have to do something about that.) I checked my PMDG aircraft and found the following: For the 747-400, all sounds seem to be working properly. Under Add-0ns>PMDG Sounds> Volume control for engines as well as other items are adjustable and sound like they should sound to me. Under Add Ones>PMDG>General>Options>Sounds Everything is checked and enabled. For the 737NGX all sounds including the engines sound like I think that they should sound. However, there is one strange thing. In the FMC I go to PMDG Setup>Options>Sound>Volume Levels ADJUST. All levels are listed as "100" and  are not adjustable. The little hand shows up over each item, but when clicked nothing happens. I have not researched the manual and this is probably addressed there. This is also somewhat academic as all sounds are acceptable. Sound appears to be ok for the Beechcraft 1900D. My assumption is that there is no unique PMDG sound option for this bird.I am pretty sure I have other aircraft that may fit this arrangement (LDS767 comes to mind) and will have to check what might be possible there.

When I select Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound>, under Playback I have Speakers-Realtek High Definition Audio Default Device checked. The only other options shown are Realtek Digital Output Realtek High Definition Audio Ready, and Realtek Digital Output (Optical) Realtek High Defintion Audio Ready. AS we have already clarified, my speakers are not Digital. Note that this speaker system has a plugin remote which provides an on off switch, volume control, and bass control for the woofer. It also provides a jack for headsets. When the headset is used, of course the speakers are negated. Some engine sounds are fine through the speakers (without the headset plugged in), but are not heard when the headset is used (Through the headset or speakers). I have assumed that this is a quirk relative to the speaker system. Other aircraft engines sound normal through the headset (speakers negated).

I also select Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound and under playback, click on my Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio Default Device which already has a checkmark. I then click on configure. 5.1 Surround is selected. Testing or clicking on any speaker results in the proper sound under each speaker. Under Control Panel>Hardware and Sound I also have a Realtek HD Audio Manager selection option separate from the Sound selection (Control Panel>Hardware and sound>Realtek HD Audio Manager>Speaker Configuration). Here 5.1 Speakers is displayed with Center, Subwoofer, Rear Pair, Front left and right, Surround Speakers, and Enable Bass Management checked. Speaker tests with these  provisions also result in the proper sound resulting from each individual speaker.

If Murphy's law does not take over, Everything seems to be working at the moment. I need to go back through my hanger and check each bird again (which will take some time as there are many). Probably need to check everything in FS9 as well. I think the same issue was present there but need to confirm that.

Thanks for your  suggestions and help:

RTH