Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Should Antivirus be Disabled when Using FSX?

Hi,

I've read that Antivirus/Antimalware programs should be disabled before installing FSX but should they also be turned off when running FSX?  I want to use as few resources as possible when in FSX.  Thanks.  Tom

you can set your  avg  to exclude  scanning  of  fsx  but keep scanning of  other systems if  you want

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Depends on the software you are using, but as a rule of thumb any program running in the background will compete with resources with other running programs. Some anti-virus programs are pure bloatware.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I use AVG and I do not know how to exclude FSX. Does anyone here know how to do it?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

MSE running with FSX excluded works fine for me.

I don't trust MSE anymore, I used it before and it was very effective but it appears MS have stopped maintaining and updating it properly over the last two years, so it's ineffective against more recent threats.

I'm back with Avast Free, and I've excluded the FSX directory from the runtime/resident shield (but it also has a nice mode where you can disable it until reboot or for a couple of hours).

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I don't trust MSE anymore, I used it before and it was very effective but it appears MS have stopped maintaining and updating it properly over the last two years, so it's ineffective against more recent threats.

I'm back with Avast Free, and I've excluded the FSX directory from the runtime/resident shield (but it also has a nice mode where you can disable it until reboot or for a couple of hours).

IIRC, the MSE engine gets updated by the Windows update feature, not by its own update function which downloads the virus signatures only. Anyway, I can confirm I received a couple of MSE engine updates since last year.

Excluding FSX does not only imply to exclude the FSX root folder (and its subfolders, of course!), but also any other folder outside the FSX installation that is related to FSX: Could be stuff like

- MegaSceneryEarth/MegaSceneryX

- RadarContact/VoxATC/PFE

- FlightDeckCompanion/MCE (FS2Crew resides inside the FSX folders)

- ActiveSky/Opus/REX

Check your other folders for programs you'd like to exclude with FSX running.

IIRC, the MSE engine gets updated by the Windows update feature, not by its own update function which downloads the virus signatures only. Anyway, I can confirm I received a couple of MSE engine updates since last year.

I'm not saying they don't update it, they just seem to do a half job nowadays! You only need to look through a few recent head-to-head tests to see that MSE comes out pretty poorly these days, whereas it use to be top of the pack.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I use AVG and I do not know how to exclude FSX. Does anyone here know how to do it?

If you open up your  avg  control panel  and  click on tools or  something  similar,   and look for the option  exclude file extension(or some thing  similar  to this), this is  where  you set your  fsx location etc  and other  folders  that you don't  want  your avg  to  scan

Forgot to add  there should be  a help option  in your  avg  control panel  check in there  it  should  tell you on how  to do it  as well

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I'm not saying they don't update it, they just seem to do a half job nowadays! You only need to look through a few recent head-to-head tests to see that MSE comes out pretty poorly these days, whereas it use to be top of the pack.

Agreed on those test rankings, mainly based on those "24h threats". I tested AVG (freeware version) for a while alongside MSE. I wasn't convinced by a superior performance, so I dumped AVG again and continued with MSE. (I found good reason to dump my former ZoneAlarm, I can assure you of that!)

I'm no AV expert at all and I think everybody should use the AV software they feel most safe with.

you can set your  avg  to exclude  scanning  of  fsx  but keep scanning of  other systems if  you want

This.     Keep AVG running or whatever virus software you use but set the entire folder (or entire drive would be better if FSX is on a drive with other software) to be an exception.  You don't typically want a scanner snooping your files while you fly.   It can cause micro-stutters while it's spying on your files in use.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

This.     Keep AVG running or whatever virus software you use but set the entire folder (or entire drive would be better if FSX is on a drive with other software) to be an exception.  You don't typically want a scanner snooping your files while you fly.   It can cause micro-stutters while it's spying on your files in use.

That's what iam doing  now I got everything  related to fsx  on my second  drive  and have  exclude the whole  drive. and my o/s  and other  stuff on the other  :)

Peter kelberg

New to this forum, I have started using free Razer GameBooster for several weeks now.

Have checked everything to shut down except where cautioned not to.

Also has options to optimize computer.

When you launch FSX from it, it shuts things down, and starts them back up when you exit FSX.

Also show your cpu, gpu, and motherboard temperatures at the bottom so you can see if FSX is stressing things and where.

Very handy and effective program.

Only network activity I have is when I get real weather, which I trust.