Sign in to follow this  
Chandy

Ideal Flight Program Fuel Loading

Hi,

I am using Ideal Flight 10 but don't understand why the program only allows sufficient fuel to fly to the destination, without any reserves for alternate airport diversions, holds, weather avoidance or go-arounds. I land with just the smell of fumes from practically empty tanks - or run dry on approach if I run into headwinds or don't practice micro-fuel management.

There is some sort of garbled info in the Help menu which doesn't make sense and doesn't work (something about extending the range of the aircraft in the Aircraft/Parameters screen). I don't know of any forum that caters for Ideal Flight so I thought I would throw it up here.

Can anyone give me the good oil (or should I say fuel) about how to overcome this?

Note: I am flying under a career mode, if that helps.

Regards,

John Gibson

Hi John, You have Taxi Time, which you can add 20 mins cruise burn for taxi, and you have Reserve which you can add 30 mins reserve and 20 mins holding as 50mins reserve. the Flight Parameters Range value you get from setting the aircraft in flight and using the Fuel Report. Or do a flight exactly as planned and look at the assessment which shows the range based on the way you flew the plane. You need to spend a little more time with IF10 and it'll come to you.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

IF10 monitors the entire flight, then you can study the assessment and look at the fuel report. Use the Maximum Range reported in the Aircraft Parameter "Range" box as your baseline. The next flight will be calculated based on your aircraft performance last flight. If it's a longer flight the calculation allows for more time during level flight, weather, and so on. But IF10 leaves you to put in the range value and the ascent values etc. and you get a good feel of the aircraft performance. That's the simulated aircraft not the real thing, and IF10 does not use tables or manufacturers specifications, instead IF10 works with the data collected from the simulated aircraft in the sim. The Upgrade coming out soon features a separate box for Holding, and the briefing features a fuel weight breakdown of Taxi, Hold, Reserve, and Flight fuel. Try out the in-sim Fuel Report from the drop down menu for a feel of the fuel used during the flight.

Don't forget you can browse the codelegend form for help with IF10.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com