Sign in to follow this  
sevenflyer

Man, Am I ######!

BEWARE EVERYONE

Well, I installed the DX10 fixer, and like several people, did not get the water and rain shaders to work as they were greyed out ( the manual is rather poor in regards to this). Taking advise from  Paul's response to Richard Sennet,(no offense Paul-really appreciate all your work), I restored the original Shaders HLSL folder, uninstalled the libraries, and uninstalled the DX10 fixer. I then rebooted the computer, reinstalled the DX10 fixer and attempted to reinstall the libraries. I got an error to the effect of " error-  libraries not installed dll error - dll 32".

I thought it might be because I did not reboot after re-installing, so I rebooted the computer, and ran the DX10 fixer again. The libraries were still showing uninstalled, so I ran the library installer again. Same result.

I thought well, maybe I got a bad installation this time of the fixer program, so I called up the computer control panel,  double checked to ensure that I was uninstalling the right thing, and ran the uninstaller made sure it said "Steve's DX10" , went to the kitchen to refresh my coffee, and returned less than 2 minutes later to find that the uninstaller had effectively deleted my entire FSX, all 40 or 50 paid addons,  hundreds of freeware -  etc. The only thing left in my fsx folder was the FSX exe.

I sure hope that I can re-install all this

One really ###### customer -

Roger Neves

Sounds like an isolated incident to me, or something else at play here - I just uninstalled too in the process of doing a couple of things (will reinstall later), and FSX still fires up no problems.

I went through the same process also without incident.  This really sucks Roger, however, on the bright side, a full clean up and reinstall can do wonders for FSX performance even though it will take you a full week to get it back in order.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Have you tried Windows Restore?

\Robert Hamlich/

I feel your frustration, but sincerely, I don't think many people here will believe that the DX10 Fixer programme has the propensity to delete an entire FSX directory.           - something else must have been happening here.

Have you tried a virus scan?

Failing that, as Robert said, try a system restore - it may well get you back to before you lost everything.

Good luck.

Thanks Guys:

I suspect you're right Anthony, it probably is a unique circumstance. My biggest concern (now that my senses have calmed down a bit) is that it could happen to others. I have e-mailed the company I purchased it from and will keep the good folks here informed of the results.

Dave: I've been simming steadily since FS98 and I wouldn't have believed it either if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I have a very good anti-virus and several anti malware programs, and the computer is scanned daily. Just competed the scan before I started all this.

My biggest concern is in regards to the non-installation of the libraries. Were they partially installed but not completed and this caused the uninstaller to go after the entire sim?

I'll probably do a re-install as Mark suggested. I'm not too sure what I'd have with a restore. I do have a back up of 95% of what I did have installed, so it will make the task somewhat easier.

Thanks gang!! - Roger

Need advice in regards re-install:

Well, when I went to re-install FSX, I can only repair or uninstall. I tried uninstall, but (due to the deleted files) it would not do it). I've now repaired, and that wentOK, but I've always heard that a repair is not so good. Should I now uninstall FSX and then a fresh re-install, or is it OK as repaired?

- Roger

Image backup, image backup, image backup...on a regular(weekly) basis! Saves a WHOLE ton of frustration and panic. 

I feel your frustration, but sincerely, I don't think many people here will believe that the DX10 Fixer programme has the propensity to delete an entire FSX directory.           - something else must have been happening here.

Have you tried a virus scan?

Failing that, as Robert said, try a system restore - it may well get you back to before you lost everything.

Good luck.

I was a BETA tester for the DX10 fixer and uninstalled it and reinstalled it countless times. Something is very wrong here.

Charles.

Need advice in regards re-install:

Well, when I went to re-install FSX, I can only repair or uninstall. I tried uninstall, but (due to the deleted files) it would not do it). I've now repaired, and that wentOK, but I've always heard that a repair is not so good. Should I now uninstall FSX and then a fresh re-install, or is it OK as repaired?

- Roger

Hi Roger,

Yes FSX can be 'quirky' in terms of the registry.

So yes, if you get the option to 'repair' do that first, then reboot then attempt a full uninstall. After the unistall, again reboot, before re-installing.

Try to ensure your PC definitely regards FSX as 'unistalled' before attempting the re-install because installing on top of a 'half baked' FSX registry entry can lead to some headaches regarding the Simconnect versions.

Thanks Dave:

I found that the only thing deleted was the main FSX folder and everything else was still intact. (I wonder- that is where the DX 10 fixer was installed). As Charles and others mentioned, something is very odd here. I'm not going to be surprised at all that it had something to do with the libraries install failure.  Anyway, I've taken your advice and uninstalled the repaired FSX and now here comes the laborious task of starting anew. Thankfully I have all my payware files and most of the freeware backed up,

Appreciate your advice, Roger

Probably when you installed the DX10 fixer you allowed it to install within FSX and not in a separate folder. Hence it deleted the folder in which it was installed!!

The dx10 fixer has worked perfectly for me. I can easily select Dx9 or dx10. It puts everything back where it's supposed to go.

I've had zero issues. If you have an image back up, use it now or restore win as suggested.

The only challenge I have is related to dx10 AA performance and that has nothing to do with the fixer. 

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

FSS has released a new version that fixes what happened to Roger.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Here's the full text of the e-mail I just got from the Flightsim Store (and all of you probably did as well).

As someone else who installed the Fixer into the FSX main directory (as I usually do when the default installation path for an add-on is C:\Program Files(x86), I'll be paying close attention to this and following the new instructions to the letter.

Not really an ideal situation.

This is an important message regarding your purchase of SteveFX - DX10 Scenery Fixer. Please take note of the information in this email.

It has come to our attention that the Install Location screen for the installer of this product indicated that you should select the main FSX folder location on your computer as the destination folder for installation. This is incorrect and can lead to a situation where the selected folder would be deleted upon uninstallation.

If you installed to the default location given by the installer there is no need to be concerned. The default location that the installer uses is C:\Program Files\DX10SceneryFixer on 32bit machines, and C:\Program Files (x86)\DX10SceneryFixer on 64bit machines.

However, if you selected you main FSX folder during installation of this product, or any other folder shared with other applications, we advise that you download the latest version of the installer from your download files page in your account at The FlightSim Store and re-install the product without uninstalling the existing files. This will allow you to install the files into a location other than your FSX folder (it is best to accept the default location), so that if you ever need to uninstall the product you will not have this issue.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and if you have any questions regarding this message please do not hesitate to contact us at support@flightsimstore.com