Sign in to follow this  
engwerda

Destination weather

Took the NGX from Kuala Lumpur to Penang today and thought I would check the destination weather en route.

• Rex Essentials said that at Penang the wind was 170 at 7 knots.
  • Airport Nav finder said that 5 minutes ago it was 300 at 6 knots
  • METAR on the net said it was 220 at 4 knots
  • ATIS within FSX finally announced that the surface wind at Penang was 138 at 3 knots and suggested that I use the ILS 04 approach.

When I landed there was no wind at all according to the windsock.

By the way one report said that at 4pm at this time of year Penang's temperature was only 15 degrees. Won't they be surprised!!

It is frustrating though. What does everyone else do or use?

Gerry

Oliver,

Thanks but I don't use AS and I know that it is not PMDG's fault. I am not looking for fault just a way around the problem.

Gerry

What does everyone else do or use?

I'd go with the METAR, but keep in mind that whatever program you are using is what ends up putting the data into the sim.  That said, if REX is reporting one value, that's the value the sim is going to see.

Kyle Rodgers

Anything much less the 10knots is usually does not have a constant direction and all four reports are within 4 knots. I do see a problem here. 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG General Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Ok - here's what happened today. The weather was awful in Melbourne - I know because my wife was flying out of there as I loaded up FSX.

I started REX first and the weather engine informed me that the winds were from 230 at 21 knots which matched the YMML METAR exactly. Once loaded I checked the METAR in the REX weather engine once more and sure enough the same result.

Live ATC at YMML said that 27 was in use and gave roughly the same wind. So to 27 I went and took off only to find just before rotation that the wind was actually from 113 degrees at 9 knots. So I took offf with a tailwind in an almost cloudless sky.

What on earth is going on??? This is ruining it for me!

Gerry

Probably an anomaly by REX. Can happen with all weather generators. All part of the game with the buggy FSX weather system.

Very anxious to see if the announced ActiveSkyNext will solve this. Supposedly it will.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Gerry, did you try posting over at REX' already? They may ask for some of your settings and things but should be able to help. That's from seeing quite a few aha moments over there.

Looking at how all your available sources showed different weather, I'd also stress that Paul might have a point.

Bert,

Yes, I have posted it in the REX forums and they have said that they are looking at it. I will post here if I find a solution.

Gerry

I have FSMetar. It downloads from the Vatsim server so is as up to date as is possible. It also reports correctly to FSUIPC and thus to the sim.

1. Check your source info is up to date.

2. Check your weather engine is reporting correctly

3. Check the sim is being given the same information.

If not that there is a bug in your weather engine. Or you have not set it up properly. Or you have set up a possible conflict with FSUIPC