Sign in to follow this  
Fergus

Completed - 777 LR round the world via both poles in 2 days

I have just finished a real time circumnavigation of the earth via both poles - all done in 1 fsx session.

The trip took 2 days in real time - no accelerated flight at all.

route was KJFK - SACO then via south pole to KPPH then onto ZMUB then via North Pole back to KJFK

The 777 was refueled in real time also. I flew within 40 nm of both poles in LNAV without any problems.

The whole trip was done in 1 fsx session without any problems at all - no crashes, OOMs or anything else.

The rough planning (ie choosing the airports) was done on google earth using the ruler tool - 

The route linking those airports gives virtually a  straight line right round the earth via both poles

Obviously, I used pause at top of descent and auto step climbs as I wasn't actually present through many hours of the trip

although I made sure I was there to see how the aircraft performed as it passed near the poles.

Fergus Cameron

I have just finished a real time circumnavigation of the earth via both poles - all done in 1 fsx session.

The trip took 2 days in real time - no accelerated flight at all.

route was KJFK - SACO then via south pole to KPPH then onto ZMUB then via North Pole back to KJFK

The 777 was refueled in real time also. I flew within 40 nm of both poles in LNAV without any problems.

The whole trip was done in 1 fsx session without any problems at all - no crashes, OOMs or anything else.

The rough planning (ie choosing the airports) was done on google earth using the ruler tool - 

The route linking those airports gives virtually a  straight line right round the earth via both poles

Obviously, I used pause at top of descent and auto step climbs as I wasn't actually present through many hours of the trip
although I made sure I was there to see how the aircraft performed as it passed near the poles.

Fergus Cameron

Obviously I made a typo in the route  - should be YPPH (Perth) not KPPH

I love flying this wonderful simulation of a wonderful aircraft and after all it is called the 777 Worldliner

It was interesting to see how the simulation would perform near the poles and how it would handle 4 long haul flights back to back in 1 fsx session.

Fergus Cameron

Hi Robin

I used PFPX to plan the flights including the flight between ZMUB and KJFK via the north pole -

Once the flight was loaded into the 777 FMC, I added a waypoint that  Google Earth measured as being exactly 40nm from the north pole - there is a ruler tool in google earth to do that. I already had the rough route plotted in Google Earth and it was relatively easy to choose a point along the route - actually if I hadnt put in this extra waypoint, the plane would have flown too close to the pole and from experience I know that you cant fly much closer than 40nm from the pole in FSX without problems.

The cool bit was when I then put the north pole into the 777 fix page and put a 40nm distance ring around it, the waypoint was shown to be exactly on the 40nm ring. The waypoint I used was  N89 20.0 W164 30.0

I don't think we are allowed to show routes on this forum produced by PFPX - Im not sure

If you mark the north pole on your Google Earth then mark ZMUB and KJFK on your Google Earth with markers, then use the ruler tool to draw a line between ZMUB and KJFK going over the pole - then choose a suitable point perpendicular to your route and 40nm from the pole - the point will require a slight deviation from your route as the route takes you closer than the 40 nm - I deleted any PFPX generated  waypoints close to the pole that produced a less than smooth routing - the important one for me was the one 40nm from the pole.

Google Earth is so useful for rough planning, showing the great circle line between to points. Great for Polar planning.

Fergus Cameron

Hi Fergus,

great job. please can you tell us the four waypoints on your north polar route near the northpole?

i am flying with the pmdg777 in the polarregion to check out many things.

greatings Kalle near EDWB

How did the autopilot perform when you flew near the poles ? Did a flight from OMDB to KSFO myself and the aircraft kept deviating from the route in LNAV. Had to use HDG/SEL to correct it myself. Did you face the same problem?

How did the autopilot perform when you flew near the poles ? Did a flight from OMDB to KSFO myself and the aircraft kept deviating from the route in LNAV. Had to use HDG/SEL to correct it myself. Did you face the same problem?

I've done that same flight (UAE225) witch I think was about 85nm from N90W000 and I have no problems in LNAV, also my 2 other polar routes no problems either in LNAV.

This is intetersting!

Thanks yo you, I started to look into google earth and great circle mapper. Excellent tools by the way!:)

This made me think, I would like to try to fly EFHK-NTAA-FAJS-EFHK via the north & south pole. Depends of my wife though, as it will take roughly 44 hours:) she will not be happy:) There is hardly a real world route on this one, I quess it will be a special charter flight:)

If I succeed, I will report back, if nothing is heard, im stuck in NTAA:) (I wish) :)

Have a nice weekend all!

Cheers

Hi Fergus,

great job. please can you tell us the four waypoints on your north polar route near the northpole?

i am flying with the pmdg777 in the polarregion to check out many things.

greatings Kalle near EDWB

N86 E110   N88 E120    N89 20.0 W164 30.0   N88 W088   N86 W078

Fergus Cameron

Can someone pm me a polar route from London heathrow to the North Pole and back don't have ppex to generate a route and can't find one just want to a type of round circle flight. Any help would be great thank you.

Rob

I re - flew the ZMUB to KJFK flight again and although the excellent PMDG LNAV system does a valiant job of holding the course and technically it succeeds, it is only too clear its not at all happy flying so close by the north pole (40nm).

From now on I wont be plotting routes to fly any closer than about 80 - 100 nm  from the north pole as the navigation systems really struggle if you fly much closer.

I did the round the world flight to test the stability of my system with fsx and the 777 and also to partly check how close to the poles the PMDG 777 can comfortably fly on LNAV and it seems I have found out.

Can someone pm me a polar route from London heathrow to the North Pole and back don't have ppex to generate a route and can't find one just want to a type of round circle flight. Any help would be great thank you.
Rob

Hi Rob

If you don't have any flight planning software and aren't that bothered about using realistic flight routes then you can use Google Earth to plan and plot course waypoints to the pole and back - There are many useful tools to mark points, measure distances and plot course lines etc.

Fergus Cameron

Hello All,  As there is no reason to dispute this post from Fergus, why are there so many people having difficulties with the T7.  It appears to me that those finding fault should take steps to ensure that their PC is fully up to the task and that they fully digest the manuals instead of glossing over them.  This is a complex aircraft and you wont succeed by taking shortcuts.  Richard Welsh.

I am right now on descent into KMIA at the end of a 19hr 24 min flight from WSSS.  I used the flight sim planner only, and noting that it took me very close to Taipei and Chicago, simply used those cities as waypoints.  The route was an almost perfect great circle which took me up to the edge of the ice shelf north of Alaska and then back south to Miami.  

The 777 flew faultlessly and will have just 2.2 x1000 lbs of fuel remaining on touchdown!

I had earlier flown NZAA to YSSY and on to WSSS, using my black Air New Zealand livery.  Must get back to the instruments as I am about to land!

Ozzieblr

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!