Sign in to follow this  
cva1077

Laptop Replacement Build

After using my current laptop for running FSX for 4 years, I've decided its time to upgrade.

My main concern is the OS, and mobo. To go with Win 7 or Win 8? I think Win 7 is better but what is the community consensus? Also I was trying to keep cost down by getting a cheaper mobo, is that a good idea?

Parts:

i5 4670K CPU

GTX 560Ti (getting this 2nd hand off a mate who just upgraded his GPU)

AsRock B85M-ITX Mobo

8gb Kingston 1600mhz DDR3 RAM

WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200rpm HDD

CoolerMaster 720W modular PSU

LG 24' monitor

Any suggestions/improvements/ideas for this build?

Everything looks good, I would get an i7 processor but that really may not have an extreme performance impact.

But also, remember

WINDOWS 7!

Windows 8 doesn't seem to want to behave too well with FSX. Some users say that it's worked for them but others report issues regarding accessibility of files etc.

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. I did look at the i7s, but i am working with a farily strict budget, so the i5 will have to do. Always thought Win 7 was the better option, so I will get that.

Overall it looks okay.

You could drop that PSU down to 650W with no problems.

The motherboard though, you want a Z87 motherboard if you're buying a "K" chip and plan to overclock. Otherwise that 4670K is going to waste and you might as well grab a 4670 instead.

What case are you using for the build?

Do you need to go ITX size on the motherboard?

CPU Cooler?

Try to grab an SSD if you can fit it into the budget, but otherwise go with a Caviar Black over the Caviar Blue. They are generally considered the better drive for a gaming system.

I see you're in Australia too, where are you buying from?

Ant, thanks for your pointers.

The main reason I got that PSU is that it is fully modular, and it will give enough juice if I decide to get better stuff later on.

I'm not 100% sure on the mobo, which is the main reason I posted, so I'm glad you brought it up. Would it be better to go with a ATX mobo as opposed to the mini-ITX? I'll also look into the Z87 chipset, as I was not aware it was neccesary to OC the CPU.

The case I am using is also 2nd hand, but it is a good brand(can't remember off the top of my head)

Not grabbing a CPU cooler just yet, as I'm not going to OC in the beggining, probably will later though.

Would love an SSD, however I've read that they only improve load times, but not FPS/smoothness while in FSX. Might grab a Caviar Black as its only a little bit more.

Was planning to buy from some local stores Netplus and Austin

Personally I would never recommend an ITX motherboard unless you are building in an ITX case.

An ATX motherboard for the most part will provide you far greater room to expand later on if you wish. i.e going SLI, more SATA ports, pcie slots etc.

So far as the PSU, I'm not sure what particuler model Coolermaster you are looking at but Quality is far better than Quantity. You can buy a PSU claiming to be 720W but it may not necessarily be good quality.

Post the model if you can or do some research. You  don't need more than 650W unless you plan on going Multi GPU/SLI in the future.. Personally I like Corsair PSU's and on your budget I would recommend the following:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_354&products_id=21240&zenid=85ff7455cce4de632d1e0652d9433a7e

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_354&products_id=18539&zenid=85ff7455cce4de632d1e0652d9433a7e

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_354&products_id=18471&zenid=85ff7455cce4de632d1e0652d9433a7e

You'll definitely need a CPU cooler when you plan to overclock, look at that down the road when your ready.

Think about an SSD even if it's not for FSX and is just your OS boot drive. It will make your system feel a whole lot more snappy overall.

I'm in Melbourne so never used those suppliers, but I'm sure they'll do just fine!

This is the model I was looking at http://www.netplus.com.au/product/PWPSAX-CMRPM2072/720W_CoolerMaster_Silent_Pro_M2_Modular_II_Power_Supply_

I have looked your recommended PSUs and will definitely take them into consideration. I like the look of the TX-650M.

Would this be a good mobo? It is ATX and has the Z87 thingo http://www.netplus.com.au/product/MBASZ87-C/Asus_Z87-C_Intel_MB_LGA1150_USB3.0_SATA3_Haswell_Lynx_Point

That PSU sounds okay. Read some reviews if you can find any but it looks ok. In your boat I'd go with a Corsair HX650 since it's also rated at gold efficiency, but any of these will do you fine. You don't need any more than 650W since you won't be going SLI on the motherboards you're considering.

I'm not familiar with the particular Motherboard, but Asus boards are generally considered to be of very good quality and that Z87-C is probably a good choice for your price bracket. Again, read some reviews if you can to find out as much as possibe

Thanks Anthony, will look at the reviews over the weekend and hopefully purchase some parts on Tuesday.

A couple more questions Ant,

In regards to ATX and micro-ATX boards, I've read that the only difference is having less slots for GPUs, so micro ATX is fine if you're not going to SLI?

Also for the RAM, is it better to have 2x4GB sticks or 1x8GB stick?

Thanks,

edit: This is the microATX board I was looking at http://www.netplus.com.au/product/MBARZ87M-PRO4/Asrock_Z87M-Pro4_LGA1150_4DDR3_3PCI-E_SATA3_USB3_Intel_Lynx_Point_Haswell

With that RAM, you want 2 x 4GB modules so that your RAM will run in Dual Channel mode.

Micro ATX vs ATX - Essentially what you say is right. Micro ATX will have less expansion slots but mostly everything else will be the same. Just make sure to compare the features between the motherboards you're looking at to make sure though.

Did you work out what case you're using?

Cheers for the advice on the RAM and mobo. Will probably end up going for a micro-ATX as that will free up some of the budget towards a Caviar Black.

Forgot to ask the guy what case it was....

I've decided on the parts for the build

i5 4670K CPU

GTX 560Ti (2nd hand)

AsRock Z87M-Pro4

8gb Kingston 1600mhz DDR3 RAM

WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Corsair 650W PSU

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Just have to wait for my mate to get back from Sydney so I can pick up the 560ti & case. Then I can start building :smile: