Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

WHATS GOING ON, HERE?!? Does DX10Fixer 'fix' a little more...like DX9?!?!?

I would love to think that I could switch back to DX9 mode and keep the DX10 improvement to VAS. I would do that in a heartbeat, because (contrary to what others are seeing) the graphics in DX9 mode on my PC are superior (less shimmering of textures in the distance, better water, visible navigation and strobe lights on the AI planes, no flashing white dots at certain locations in the scenery etc).

Exactly,my opinion as well. I would always wish to have DX10 performance like the Fixer opens up to you,but the superior visuals of DX9. I seem to be getting the best of two worlds...am so seriously not playing with another thing regarding FSX. Chris, go back and forth using the Fixer at least three times as I did, and then stay with DX9 for a run, load up FSX to the max (Bloom,etc) and see if your FPS and DX10 smooth animation is mirrored. Good luck, and if so...back up and place system image in a safe place!

If I decide to do it, it will be to test the VAS. That is the single, most important element for me.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If I decide to do it, it will be to test the VAS. That is the single, most important element for me.

Agreed..No more OOM's for me' and now hours long flights are possible with FSX at max...

Sesquashtoo, could you please provide a print-screen of your Nvidia Inspector settings?  I would like to recreate your settings on my computer and see if I get the same results.  

Thanks!

Alexander Alonso

Oh well, if it's working for you Mitch, it's working for you! ........... The FSX world just get's stranger! :lol:

I do agree with Chris that on my system (I know all of our systems are very individualized) DX9 looks better overall, and has higher frames..... in fact the single only positive aspect I can evidence on my set-up is reduced potential for OOM.. (I use the word 'potential', because I don't really suffer OOMs in DX9!).

Reflecting honestly, DX10 has been a source of disillusion for me since the release of the Fixer, but I do not mean that as a dis-service to Steve at all.   I am pleased I bought it because I want to invest in the development of anything that could improve FSX.       Who knows, I might get a nVidia card tomorrow and a different system and be blown away by DX10! .... But at the moment, after a raft of tests, there is nothing at all in favour of using it over DX9 on my system.

Sesquashtoo, could you please provide a print-screen of your Nvidia Inspector settings?  I would like to recreate your settings on my computer and see if I get the same results.  

Thanks!

Absolutely Alexander...and here is both my N.I. FSX cfg and also my DX9 FSX.cfg file

http://img.techpowerup.org/130927/nvidia_20130927_170313.png

I run a: 

CPU: i7-975 Extreme, at 4.02 GHz

1 EVGA Signature Plus Overclock GTX680 2 GB

12 megs of Crucial 1600 MHz RAM (not overclocked in any way)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I run my system (always have...and great FSX peformance) with HyperThreading as ON, hence my Job Scheduler settings....

I hope with this post, that everybody else who has been flipping back and forth a few times,....finds the same great Silverado Performance Mine....for there's silver up in them, thar hills! Oh..also, I have FSX's FPS limiter locked at 30 as I have my Vsync as Adaptive and at 1/2 refresh of my monitor which is 60 Hertz.

also, here is a copy of my FSX.cfg file:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=84
[bufferPools]
PoolSize=0
[GRAPHICS]
HIGHMEMFIX=1
SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=3
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458435
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458435
D3D10=0
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048
TextureMaxLoad=30
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
ForceFullScreenVSync=1
[sOUND]
AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000
PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}
SOUND=1
SOUND_QUALITY=2
SOUND_LOD=0
UISound=1
AmbientUI=0
SOUND_FADER1=0.330000
SOUND_FADER2=0.340000
SOUND_FADER3=0.340000
SOUND_FADER4=1.000000
AmbientUIMusic=FSX01
[Display]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64
NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64
InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0
InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0
InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoBrakesEnable=True
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True
InfoPauseEnable=True
InfoSlewEnable=True
InfoStallEnable=True
InfoOverspeedEnable=True
BLOOM_EFFECTS=1
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30
WideViewAspect=True
TextureMaxLoad=3
[Main]
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
SimObjectPaths.6=ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAI_AIRCRAFT
SimObjectPaths.7=MyTraffic\Aircraft
ProcSpeed=8568
PerfBucket=7
Maximized=1
Location=444,198,1476,964,\\.\DISPLAY1
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15
[PANELS]
IMAGE_QUALITY=1
DEFAULT_VIEW=0
QUICKTIPS=1
PANEL_OPACITY=100
PANEL_MASKING=1
PANEL_STRETCHING=1
UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0
[Weather]
WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1
MinGustTime=10
MaxGustTime=500
MinGustRampSpeed=1
MaxGustRampSpeed=200
MinVarTime=5
MaxVarTime=50
MinVarRampSpeed=10
MaxVarRampSpeed=75
TurbulenceScale=2.000000
WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com
WeatherServerPort=80
WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0
AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1
DynamicWeather=0
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DisableTurbulence=0
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=4
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8
THERMAL_VISUALS=0
[CONTROLS]
Controls_Default=Standard
Controls_Current=Standard
KBDAIL=64
KBDELEV=64
KBDRUD=64
[TextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
[TextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
GForce=1,3
FuelPercentage=1,4
[TextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
GForce=2,3
FuelPercentage=2,4
[slewTextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
[slewTextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
[slewTextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000
MaxHeadAngle=5.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.300000
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000
[VirtualCopilot]
VirtualCopilotActive=0
[uSERINTERFACE]
PageID=1
OpenATCOnCreate=0
SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=1
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=1
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
Map_Orientation=2
ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1
SelectAircraftManufacturer=All
SelectAircraftPublisher=All
SelectAircraftType=All
DisplayFuelAsWeight=0
[ATC]
ShowATCText=0
COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFF
COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6
COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21B
COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00
COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840
AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=1
UsePilotVoice=1
PilotVoice=262144
[PointOfInterestSystem]
CycleSetting=0
[sCENERY]
LENSFLARE=1
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4
SmallPartRejectRadius=1
[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=16
GADensity=16
FreewayDensity=16
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0
LeisureBoatsDensity=0
IFROnly=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0
[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=7
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=10
[AContain]
ShowLabels=0
ShowUserLabel=0
ShowLabelManufacturer=1
ShowLabelModel=1
ShowLabelTailNumber=0
ShowLabelDistance=1
ShowLabelAltitude=1
ShowLabelAirline=0
ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0
ShowLabelFlightPlan=0
ShowLabelContainerId=0
ShowLabelAirspeed=0
ShowLabelHeading=0
LabelDelay=1000
LabelColor=FFFF0000
[iNTERNATIONAL]
ASLAT=2
ASLON=1
MEASURE=0
[REALISM]
PFactor=1.000000
Torque=1.000000
GyroEffect=1.000000
CrashTolerance=1.000000
General=1.000000
UnlimitedFuel=False
TrueAirspeed=False
AutoCoord=False
RealMixture=False
StressDamage=True
GEffect=True
ManualLights=True
GyroDrift=False
CrashWithDyn=True
CrashDetection=True
AutoTrim=False
[sIM]
SYSCLOCK=1
[sTARTUP]
DEMO=0
SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=0
STARTUP_DEMO=
LoadWindow=1
[FACILITIES]
COUNTRY=
STATE=
CITY=
GTL_BUTTON=1471
[Misc]
Com_Rate=7
[FlightPlanMap]
LineWidth=2
SHOW_AIRPORTS=1
SHOW_VORS=1
SHOW_NDBS=1
SHOW_APPROACHES=1
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=1
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1
show_waypoints=1
show_airways=1
show_markers=1
show_volume_boundaries=1
show_ac_twr=1
[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]
SHOW_AIRPORTS=0
SHOW_VORS=0
SHOW_NDBS=0
SHOW_APPROACHES=0
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=0
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1
[FSDREAMTEAM]
AntiPopUp=30
AltitudeCull=1
[MAPVIEW_MAP]
SHOW_AIRPORTS=1
SHOW_VORS=1
SHOW_NDBS=1
SHOW_APPROACHES=1
SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0
SHOW_VICTOR=0
SHOW_JET=0
SHOW_AIRSPACE=1
SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1
SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1
SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1
SHOW_DATATAGS=1
SHOW_TERRAIN=1
show_flight_history=1
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680.0]
Mode=1920x1200x32
TriLinear=1
[MULTIPLAYER]
condAccoutPassword=0
VoiceVolume=2.000000

Oh well, if it's working for you Mitch, it's working for you! ........... The FSX world just get's stranger! :lol:

I do agree with Chris that on my system (I know all of our systems are very individualized) DX9 looks better overall, and has higher frames..... in fact the single only positive aspect I can evidence on my set-up is reduced potential for OOM.. (I use the word 'potential', because I don't really suffer OOMs in DX9!).

Reflecting honestly, DX10 has been a source of disillusion for me since the release of the Fixer, but I do not mean that as a dis-service to Steve at all.   I am pleased I bought it because I want to invest in the development of anything that could improve FSX.       Who knows, I might get a nVidia card tomorrow and a different system and be blown away by DX10! .... But at the moment, after a raft of tests, there is nothing at all in favour of using it over DX9 on my system.

I TOTALLY hold your sentiments.  DX10 (via Steve's program) gave me a new sim.  If I had not discovered this morning, that that new sim has for whatever reason(?!?!?!?) also been passed down to DX9...then I would have stayed with DX10.  I'm going to be very honest here, and might offend some.....but:

In DX10, I never could achieve the clarity and shaprness of let's say, FSX Global...no matter what settings in the FSX.cfg or N.I. file.  Under DX9, you can see people almost swimming in those properties that have pools..and some do.  Also, there were features that I did not know I had lost in being under DX10 with my Carenado and other 3rd party purchases. I only found out that I had no off-set panel illumination lights, by only going back to DX9 for a curiosity check, and discovered that the lights were lit up...but not when I had the Bonanza under DX10. I then went to a few others, and found that this was also the case, as was strobe and navi lights. In DX9, they are irradiated and glow out of their housings. Under DX10, they are in 'need of a light bulb change'...lol.   Just other things as well.  I am NOT COMPLAINING.  I would have given the above observations up, for the benefit of DX10's FPS horsepower, and VAS operation.  But, having for the life of me...and not knowing why...but still , having the SAME GREAT PERFORMANCE now translated down to DX9, why in the world for myself, would I choose to cast DX9 and its 100 percent compatibility off like a rag.  So...I'm back to DX9, well let's call it my wicked and wild DX9 HYBRID (smile...), until I find that whatever happened, has gone away. I don't imagine it will, as I truly am no longer touching anything to do with a setting in FSX, or any FSX out-board co-running programs. I also immediately created a full system image...so have totally captured what it is that is causing this fabulous find. I hit the Silverado Mine load by buying and installing Steve's program, and whatever it did...or, whatever I DID, with it....was the best thing since sliced bread, and FSXG being released!!!!

Thanks Steve, for not only a great running and stable DX10....but LOLOLOL------------------------------------> for slipping under the front door, a new and improved DX9 HYBRID as an undocumented bonus!.  Oh, wow...but Life...................is.................GOOD!

If your improvement in DX9 performance and VAS usage is genuine (and I am just being cautious here, rather than suggesting that you are in error), I would very much like to know the reason why that is the case.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If your improvement in DX9 performance and VAS usage is genuine (and I am just being cautious here, rather than suggesting that you are in error), I would very much like to know the reason why that is the case.

I have absolutely no idea, but it is, what it is. Last night, after having the computer off for some time, I came back to it and took another flight out of a random airport, with the exact same results. I have FSX maxed out with Bloom producing between 27-30 FPS. Safe to say that I will not be touching anything further in the files I have posted on this thread,and FSX, of which I have running at the full gallop. My flight was 2.5 hours and landed, rather then the prior CTD's because of OOM related issues.

Hi Mitch,

You have TexrureMaxLoad=3 under [Display], and TexturemaxLoad=30 under [GRAPHICS]. Which is correct (I assume one or the other is redundant). I have always seen it under [Display], but could that additional entry under [GRAPHICS] have soemthing to do with this?

Thanks, Bruce.

Thank you, my friend!    I'll work on trying to get my system working as well as your's.

Alexander, as I posted...WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON>>>>>>:)   

I dunno.....but, it is real, on my system. I am flying multiple hours, no sweat...and at full FSX capacity....with the same FPS, as per DX10 after Steve's install.  Prior to that install, and fooling around with this 'n that...what I am getting from DX9 was UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE.  No way, no how.  So...'something' happened.  I am absolutely not touching or clicking off one thing in FSX from now on.  Why in the world...would I ever need to?!?!?    Nothing gets touched on N.I. and no further update from my nVidia 314.22 driver suite.  I'm done...and have captured my system as it is now, to a outboard hard drive.  If anything screws up, and my DX9 performance goes to what you would normally get....I'll merely reimport the system image, and away I go again....  What I have is sheer gold, man...and I'm not going to even sneeze near it, lol!

Now...let's take another DX9 Hybrid flight...and have a blast!......

Hi Mitch,

You have TexrureMaxLoad=3 under [Display], and TexturemaxLoad=30 under [GRAPHICS]. Which is correct (I assume one or the other is redundant). I have always seen it under [Display], but could that additional entry under [GRAPHICS] have soemthing to do with this?

Thanks, Bruce.

Jeez...good eye....and I didn't even notice that....and also...where that entry came from...again...I don't know, if it truly isn't a kosher thing.  Who knows, Brucek, but obviously there is something that has happened with my fooling around...dropping between DX9 and DX10 at least three or four times.....perhaps my config got 'adulterated'...and THAT might be the undocumented kick-in-the-pants of what I am getting from DX9.   Brucek, I am flying AS LONG AS I WANT...and with FSX full bore.  This should normally not be happening at all on my system. I had CTD's and OOM's no later than 30 minutes into a flight more often than not.   I have been using FSX as per my posted .cfg file (you can clearly see that Bloom is enabled, as everything else....) for two days now...with one 4.07 hour flight, and another 2.5 hour flight.  BOTH TOUCHED THE NUMBERS at the destination airport!!!!   Like I said in another post or three...I'm finished with any tweaking, adding, checking features on, checking features off....and any further updating of my stellar nVidia driver suite 314.22 (which by the way, has fabulous clarity in driving a GTX680 2GB card)  I announce today, that I am retiring from my TWEAKING job....and just am going to fly to a good fishing hole...and fish......fly.....fly....fish.

One HAPPY CAMPER, who doesn't have a CLUE what happened....but truly won't lose sleep in not knowing.... :)

Any new on this. Which settings should I use in dx10 and then in dx9 trying to reproduce your findings?

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Any new on this. Which settings should I use in dx10 and then in dx9 trying to reproduce your findings?

Harry

Nope, nothing new, Harry...same great performance over the last 3-4 days!  If you want, just use what you can from my FSX.cfg posted here...and my N.I.  That's about it...I haven't touched anything, and am getting fabulous results with our old buddy, DX9.....

Nope, nothing new, Harry...same great performance over the last 3-4 days!  If you want, just use what you can from my FSX.cfg posted here...and my N.I.  That's about it...I haven't touched anything, and am getting fabulous results with our old buddy, DX9.....

Mitch, am I right that you use only one(!) fsx.cfg  and one(!) NI setting for both, dx9 and dx10. Do you switch between dx10/dx9 using the dx10 scenery fixer?

I am asking this because I am using a dual set-up which allows me to use fsx.exe (calling fsx.cfg) -> goes to dx10 and fsx_dx9.exe (calling fsx_dx9.cfg) -> goes to dx9. Together with two new NI profiles which have different executables (fsx.exe, respectively fsx_dx9.exe) I can totally separate my dx9 and dx10 settings without permanently changing it. The executable file fsx_dx9.exe is simply a renamed copy of the original fsx.exe in the fsx main folder. A desktop link to fsx_dx9.exe can than be modified to call the corresponding configuration file. This is simply done by adding "/fsx_dx9.cfg" in the "properties" window of the  desktop link in the "target" line.

I am not sure if I really see any difference running dx9 compared to the time before I installed and used the dx10 scenery fixer. Maybe using such complete isolated settings could help you (us) to figure this out.

It would also be interesting to know if 'normal' switching between dx10 and dx9 using the dx10 scenery fixer does anything else than setting dx10=1 or dx10=0 in the fsx.cfg.

Cheers,

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).