Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Apple Maps Flaw at Fairbanks, Alaska

Would be interesting, but following your link I come to the "Post new topic" page of these forums - maybe something got messed up when you posted. Can you please provide the link once more?

So is this one still valid? :P

11qT8Yh.jpg

But Florian is right, Rick, we end up somewhere else with your current link. Don't make me post another 'I got lost' image, will ya? ^_^

Would be interesting, but following your link I come to the "Post new topic" page of these forums - maybe something got messed up when you posted. Can you please provide the link once more?

So is this one still valid? :P

11qT8Yh.jpg

But Florian is right, Rick, we end up somewhere else with your current link. Don't make me post another 'I got lost' image, will ya? ^_^

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20130924/iphone-map-app-directs-fairbanks-drivers-airport-taxiway 

Don't wanna see another one of those images  :P

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

Sorry about this, guys. It seems that since I was last on the BBC website about 5 hours ago, they have changed that website. Here's the story, in brief:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Alaskan airport has closed an aircraft access route because of a flaw with Apple's Maps app.

Fairbanks International Airport told a local newspaper that in the past three weeks two motorists had driven along the taxiway and across one of its runways.

Apple's app had directed users along the taxiway but did not specifically tell them to drive onto the runway.

The firm has now issued a temporary fix.

Users searching for directions are told they are "not available" rather than showing the earlier route.

A spokesman for Apple was unable to provide comment.

The airport said it had first complained to the phone-maker three weeks ago via the local attorney general's office.

"We asked them to disable the map for Fairbanks until they could correct it, thinking it would be better to have nothing show up than to take the chance that one more person would do this," Melissa Osborn, chief of operations at the airport, told the Alaska Dispatch newspaper.

Makes you wonder how people are so dumb with only 1 head...

Haha so I wanted to see if it actually says "Turn right onto Taxiway B", it does. This was directions from JFK to Fairbanks (3d5hr)

http://i40.tinypic.com/zl659i.jpg

Chris Ferguson

PC Specs(Rebuilt 1/11/19): i7-9700K - Non-OC'd, EVGA RTX 2080ti, G.Skillz 16GB Ram 3000mhz, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w PSU, Cooler Master ML360R, ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 MoBo, 2x 2TB HDD, 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD, 1x 220GB WD SSD

If you are really bored like me, go to trusty google earth and locate the road Apple maps tells u to hang a right on from University Dr., Float Pond Road. From the satellite view the road is free access, now, enter Street View" and it looks like they installed a barrier.

I read that so many people were driving down onto airport property, that it was out of control....rofl.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

How can people actually drive onto the taxiway though? Do they not get a bit suspicious when they get overtaken by a 737?

Why do people use that map? If everyone knows Apple maps don't work as expected, why is everyone so reluctant to download Google maps, for example, which is free and better?

Why do people use that map? If everyone knows Apple maps don't work as expected, why is everyone so reluctant to download Google maps, for example, which is free and better?

It Just Works. <-- Referring to Apple's slogan  :P

Chris Ferguson

Chris, you shouldn't text while driving down that taxiway.

Hahaha I'm not there yet. I have one mile left before I make a right on Bravo.

Chris Ferguson