Sign in to follow this  
fwerff

Graphicscard (660Ti) going nuts on me.... help!

Hi,

I'm running into a problem with a rig build for a friend of mine.

The system has an MSI 660 TI twin frozr III 3gb graphicscard in it. The first 3 months everything worked flawlessly.

Then, all of a sudden during startup the card goes haywire and gives the following images

Then after the screen goes black and returns like this

From this on resolution and color depth can no longer be adjusted.

The solution then is to remove the graphicscard in the device manager of Windows (7 - 64bits) and reboot the computer. After reboot, Windows detects the card and reinstalls and then every works again as it should.

Strange thing is, this is intermittent. The system can work for days or even weeks, but then all of a sudden the card goes bananas again.

Fact that it's intermittent makes me believe that this problem isn't hardware related, but to be honest I don't know.

Sometimes during flight (FSX) some graphic anomalies occur, but most of times they dissapear again.

The mobo-onboard graphicscard has been disabled in the device manager, so that couldn't cause and conflict I assume.

Anyone any suggestion what might be going on here? If it is in fact a hardware failure, then I'll have to claim some warranty, but before I do I'd like to ensure it's not a software glitch I'm overlooking.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Hi,

Just a thought. The 3rd image looks like its reverting to a very low VGA resolution which may indicate that the GPUs are overheating. Are you running MSI Afterburner to run the Video Card fans at 70 to 80%. I had an issue with overheating a few months ago but running the fans higher has stopped it.

Best of luck in any case..

John

The first thing I would do is remove the 660, run off the iGPU for a couple of weeks and see if the problem is solved.

If it is solved then the most probable cause is the 660, but it could be the PCI-E section on the motherboard.

The problem with intermittent failures is you have to change something and then wait to see if it fails again or not.

Have you installed MSI Afterburner or anything and looked at the GPU temps?

Thanks guys. Will check the temps this weekend.

I forgot to mention that the problem also occurs when the system has been shut down for a day. So that would mean everything is still relatively cold?

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Thanks guys. Will check the temps this weekend.

I forgot to mention that the problem also occurs when the system has been shut down for a day. So that would mean everything is still relatively cold?

Possibly a faulty video cable?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

No, this definitely isn't a cable problem. Sure looks like a hardware problem on the card (or possibly the PCIe controller) to me. Were I working the problem, I'd try running a different video card for a while to prove or disprove that theory (which is why I always keep my older vid cards as spares).

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case