Sign in to follow this  
geneb

Disruptive technology for DIY flight simulator builders...

Wow! This is exactly the technology I was envisaging on another thread. Very excited. This makes a single seat simpit a real possibility!!

Z

I can see this being good after development,

If you build a home cockpit and want the view outside the windscreen, no more

multi-monitor or projector setup required, just put the material instead of the glass and screens for an outside view,

could be very usefull and a cheap option for a full all round view outside.

I have this on order from kickstarter. They are several months behind their schedule (originally suppose to be delivered SEPT), so hopefully by Jan we can try it out. 

I understand Gene has the developer -early access version on order, so he should be getting it first :)

As for integration with P3D/FSX -- I am not too sure how exactly that would work -- perhaps via something similar to drivers available for TrackIR?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

That would be nice,

working on building a simulator from the half an aircraft sat in the garage lol,

and was wondering what to do for a view screen,

this would sort that out perfectly

I wonder whether you'd want a dome outside your sim pit screen & canopy or whether you could get the desired effect by having the aircraft "glass" being replaced with the reflective material? 

I think it would be good to use it as the glass,

but then i've never tried the project,

it would be nice to have glass in the screens,

but wonder iff it would still work from behind it.

My concern is that in some places the glass could be very close to your eye position and I'm not clear what your eye focuses on. Is it the distant image of the view outside the cockpit or the surface of the reflecting material?

Augmented Reality rather than Virtual Reality. In other words there is a layer of virtual stuff layered over the real - which to flight simulation means that you can see real instruments & switches in a simpit but have the Out The Window (OTW) view generated by the sim software.

Nirvana!

It comes down to how effective the reflective material distance is at x-distance. 

I would set a curve screen up outside the cockpit, and see how that works. 

I'd be inclined to go the other way and first see if a decent result can be had with the reflective material right next to the cockpit transparency since this route would be technically much simpler. If the results didn't stack up then the option of the 'globe' is still there.

I tried a OR headset hooked up to (a paused) X-Plane sim. The thing that I found most impressive is that you could peer over the edge of the cockpit sides or around pillars. I'm just ridiculously excited (think 5-year old at Christmas) about the prospect of doing this whilst sat in a sim pit full of gauges and switches.

Z

I think if one made a screen of the reflective material instead of windows then you could literally look outside moving your head and get the correct views.

Yes, one would have to experiment. If the reflective views were situated on top of the windows it would be akin to having wrap around LCDs. It would be a real space saver especially for us who don't have a garage to devote to our hobby :)