Sign in to follow this  
torfih

All quiet on the Avsim front(page), X-Plane releases not worth mentioning?

I thought Avsim wanted to serve the X-Plane community better, one way of doing that is informing the sim community of release of groundbreaking aircraft simulations like the SAAB340A. It is a great achievement and deserves attention.

Torfi

Outside of their own reviews and editorial articles, any product announcements found on the AVSIM front page are there because the publisher/developer issued a press release to AVSIM. I'm sure AVSIM would gladly post news about its release if the publishers provided a press release to them regarding the airplane's availability and features.

Exactly Gregg-from having "worked" here a pr release has to be sent to the appropriate person.

Scotch egg-I heavily take exception to the wiki ms statement. I came here in the 1990's-did not use msfs at all and found this more than an appropriate home for my sims at the time-pro pilot, flight unlimited and the fly series. Many of avsim's users "focus" on msfs but I think the large numbers of forums here that are not msfs related kinda negate that statement completely.

The "numbers" in the forums here simply reflect a worldwide accuracy of the numbers using each sim. That is less a "focus" and more a reflection of reality.

Scotch egg-I heavily take exception to the wiki ms statement.

I can understand if it makes uncomfortable reading (for me too) but a simple glance over the topics number for FSX, even Flight (a product whose active life was shorter than just XP10), and then the focus of the front page and file library of Avsim shows it's overwhelmingly MSFS focussed.

Sure, much of the onus is on us to change that, but there's been enough talk about the Saab (for example) over the last few months for the staff here to notice when it's out and show a bit of journalistic proactivity and report it themselves.

Another example might be moderating attention. TBH, I don't even know who the mod is for this forum...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

No-it just reflects reality of the worldwide user base-that is not bias. Wiki can be uncomfortable sometimes however as anything basically goes there as I am sure you know.

The mods moderate all of the forums-a quick search of many, many of the topics here that turned south reflect that-and it is such a daunting daily hours thankless long job that no-they on top of doing moderation don't have time to do press releases for those who don't-nor should they.

OK, so who is the mod for this forum then? When was the last time a mod made an appearance in a thread on this forum?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Erm, yeeeessss, the questions were kind of rhetorical...

The Answer is simple from the Front Page Editor , the product , service or topic is sent through the contact forms to the Editorial Staff for review, editing and entry into the system database.

If the X-Plane Developers submit news then its posted, these habits take time and inclination to develop and we encourage their submission , the problem is the number of submissions about these releases is fairly limited, not only by the scale of production but by habit, companies who develop aircraft and scenery for both platforms do send release info , often those who produce only for XP dont.

C Jodry

Managing Editor

Avsim.com

The irony here is that the author of the SAAB is a former staff member here (Cameron) and knows exactly what it takes to get a Press Release published. So much for another string of conspiracy theories or however you would like to describe this thread. Scotchegg, I would strongly encourage both you and the OP to send us a query before you make assumption and give us a chance to answer your question / accusation before you blast us or scourge us for being incompetent.

I'm suggesting a lack of attention, not competence. The site is clearly run very smoothly considering the small size of the team, big size of the userbase and diversity of stuff covered.

Understood that news needs to be submitted before being considered for the front page. That's helpful information and now we can also start badgering XP devs to get their stuff on the front page. 

How do you decide when a forum needs its own moderator? I ask because the MS Flight forum has one but I really can't remember seeing one for the Xplane forums.

I'll volunteer as a moderator for the x plane forum. Beware though, I am a goth and as such I rule with a an iron boned corset. Lol

In all seriousness, Tom and the team do the best they can but without a press release there's little you can do to keep up to date with every add on for every sim available.

While we'd all welcome a goth moderator to the forums I have to say I would be a bit concerned about your dislike of comparing XP to other sims Jessica. You're very vocal about it (to use your own words it's your 'pet peeve') but as a lot of us have explained, we find it useful in letting LR know what changes the userbase is looking for.

If you could guarantee that it personally annoying you a bit wouldn't influence your modding then I for one would be happy to put on some New Model Army, slip into the painted leather jacket, and support your candidacy to the hilt.

Just to correct myself, Cameron is the publisher and not the author. And, he knows how to get news published on AVSIM.