Sign in to follow this  
McLaren

DX10 and 8XSGS AA setting

Hello All,

First off let me say that this fixer has given my FSX a new lease on life. ON a few test runs last night my sim is looking better, preforming great, and the mental VAS meter in my head (and the much more accurate on in ProcExploer) is no longer a thing from my nightmares.

Anyway, I do have one question in regards to 8xSGS AA with my Nvidia GTX780. I have no problems at all until i start heading for that big bank of clouds, or throw the sim into a foggy situation. I do see a serious drop in frames once the could are rolling in and I was wondering i that is just the way it is, or if there is a way around it. at 4xSGS all is good but my VC is a bit jagged compared to the absolute smoothness of 8xSGS. 

Is there anything I can do/change to minimize the effect of the 8xSGS in clouds or is it best to just live with the lower 4x setting?

EDIT - Was browsing the regular DX 10 forum and came across this. I am using REX and will see what happens with a different cloud/water set.

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

It's actually real simple:

- Clouds DXT5 and size 1024 * 1024 or less

- Water use for the OceanHeight20Field* the default FSX ones (not the water textures) great wave animation in DX10 and performance is great (small file size)

Avoid huge 32 bit ones which are FPS killers ;-)

All stuff has to be in balance what a lot of people tends to forget even with current
hardware it's wise to stay in the boundaries of max texture size of 1024 for FSX ;-)

André

It's actually real simple:

- Clouds DXT5 and size 1024 * 1024 or less

- Water use for the OceanHeight20Field* the default FSX ones (not the water textures) great wave animation in DX10 and performance is great (small file size)

Avoid huge 32 bit ones which are FPS killers ;-)

All stuff has to be in balance what a lot of people tends to forget even with current

hardware it's wise to stay in the boundaries of max texture size of 1024 for FSX ;-)

I am not in front of sim Sim machine at the moment but I an running at DXT5 clouds (512 or 1024, was playing around last night but really didn't see any difference). Not using 32bit water because of the issue I had with it in DX9. As for the OceanHeigt20Feild do you know where i can get the stock copy, or if it is a file that is modified by REX is it something that would be part of the original backup? 

As far as overworking the sim the only really taxing element/setting I have changed is LOD=6.5.

Thanks. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Same on my system: GTX 780 + i7-2600k@4600

Works great with 4xSGSS and could not manage heavy clouds with 8xSGSS.

Tried all the triks already (default water, 256-size clouds and so on) - no luck.

Artem Crum, EASA PPL
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
LINDA Lua Integrated Non-complex Device Assigning

I am not in front of sim Sim machine at the moment but I an running at DXT5 clouds (512 or 1024, was playing around last night but really didn't see any difference). Not using 32bit water because of the issue I had with it in DX9. As for the OceanHeigt20Feild do you know where i can get the stock copy, or if it is a file that is modified by REX is it something that would be part of the original backup? 

As far as overworking the sim the only really taxing element/setting I have changed is LOD=6.5.

Thanks. 

Sent me an email ;-)

André

Thank Andre! I didn't see an email listed but I PM'ed ya with my address. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

Thank Andre! I didn't see an email listed but I PM'ed ya with my address. 

Hi Jordan just replied via PM ;-)

André

Same on my system: GTX 780 + i7-2600k@4600

Works great with 4xSGSS and could not manage heavy clouds with 8xSGSS.

Tried all the triks already (default water, 256-size clouds and so on) - no luck.

What does 'can't handle' mean when you have a 780?   I can have OPUS give me a 70 mile setting full deck, and I am in the 27 FPS range on a 680 2 GB.  I am simply amazed when people with greater technology than myself, can't seem to match what I run with, and smoothly.

I run 8S AA, and a matching 8 SSGS. I keep 27 FPS with this, in DX10 or as of today, also  DX9.  I don't understand these posts.

CPU: i7-975 Extreme at 4.02 GHz

EVGA Signature Plus Overclock GTX 680 2 GB

12 megs of 1600 System RAM not overclocked.

What does 'can't handle' mean when you have a 780?

Yep, that's quite weird, but this is it...

If I set maximum fps to 25, then I'm getting 97-98% GPU load while in heavy clouds (with 8xSGSS).

With 4xSGSS - no problem in any weather (max fps set to 30, GPU load - 70%).

Latest driver installed, Win8. Maybe FSX reinstall will help, but I'm not sure about that.

Artem Crum, EASA PPL
LINDA Lua Integrated Non-complex Device Assigning

What does 'can't handle' mean when you have a 780?   I can have OPUS give me a 70 mile setting full deck, and I am in the 27 FPS range on a 680 2 GB.  I am simply amazed when people with greater technology than myself, can't seem to match what I run with, and smoothly.

I run 8S AA, and a matching 8 SSGS. I keep 27 FPS with this, in DX10 or as of today, also  DX9.  I don't understand these posts.

CPU: i7-975 Extreme at 4.02 GHz

EVGA Signature Plus Overclock GTX 680 2 GB

12 megs of 1600 System RAM not overclocked.

Can't Handel = not smooth, in the 15-18 FPS range in the T7 at a default or addon airport in the VC looking out into the clouds or in the spot view.  

With the setup I have, and posts such as yours, I feel that I should be at a similar or better level of performance. I'm not, that's why I posted. Either you are lying or I am doing something wrong (and I'd bet its me doing something wrong).

- Jordan Jafferjee -

Hi Artem Crum,

I am using NV GTX680 and have the similar GPU load:

4X SGSS ~ 70%, 8X SGSS ~ 99%.

When you check the other DX10 forum you will find, that this seems to be "normal" .

Therefor it is recommended to stay with 4X SGSS. There is no visual big gain to go with 8X. 

Wulf

Hello All,

First off let me say that this fixer has given my FSX a new lease on life. ON a few test runs last night my sim is looking better, preforming great, and the mental VAS meter in my head (and the much more accurate on in ProcExploer) is no longer a thing from my nightmares.

Anyway, I do have one question in regards to 8xSGS AA with my Nvidia GTX780. I have no problems at all until i start heading for that big bank of clouds, or throw the sim into a foggy situation. I do see a serious drop in frames once the could are rolling in and I was wondering i that is just the way it is, or if there is a way around it. at 4xSGS all is good but my VC is a bit jagged compared to the absolute smoothness of 8xSGS. 

Is there anything I can do/change to minimize the effect of the 8xSGS in clouds or is it best to just live with the lower 4x setting?

EDIT - Was browsing the regular DX 10 forum and came across this. I am using REX and will see what happens with a different cloud/water set.

8xSGSS with clouds has always been a stutter fest. At least it was on my GRX660ri Superclock. 4xSGSS is the best you can do for all weather from most other forum posts I read. Same goes for the ATI crowd but we have an even deeper issue. We can only turn SuperSample ON or OFF. So DX10 set to 4xAA and SS enabled is glass smooth in all conditions with crazy autogen all around. 8xAA with super sample AA is good until there are clouds. Then panning with TrackIR is not so smooth and you get microstutters. *sigh*

So for DX10 and in all weather all scenery situations, for ATI guys its 4xSSAA and for nVidia peeps it is 8xAA set with 4xSGSS in Inspector?

If only we could somehow exclude clouds from Supersample AA getting applied. This would all go away. 8xSSAA for everyone!

Charles.