Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

TapaTalk Notice

We received the following from TapaTalk this afternoon. I encourage all TT users to read closely:

Dear Forum Owners,

We are excited to announce that Tapatalk is going to begin testing a free version of Tapatalk and in-app ads as a way to help you make money from mobile traffic.

Moving from a paid app to a free app

We recently started to offer the Tapatalk app for free for iOS devices. Since we began to test the free version, we are very happy to report a significant increase in downloads.

Testing ad formats

In the next few days, we will begin to test ad formats on Tapatalk. The ad formats will be integrated within topics, and there will be three formats; banner ads, app installs, and “Promoted Topics” (similar to Facebook’s Sponsored Stories).

During this initial phase, we will be testing technical integrations. The frequency of ads will be very low, and many of your users may never see an ad.

You can view screen shots of the ad formats in the Tapatalk Engagement and Monetization support forums.

After the test

We expect the test phase to run 30-90 days. At the end of test, we will have a good understanding of the performance of the various ad formats. We will also determine the revenue model, and we will retroactively share the ad revenue from the test period with you.

We are excited about helping you earn money from users accessing your forum through Tapatalk. Over the next few weeks, we will provide you updates on the test and will monitor and respond to feedback on the Tapatalk Engagement and Monetization support forum.

If you prefer that your Forum not participate in the pilot, please email me at xxxxxxxx

Eric Sternbach
Head of Community Monetization
Tapatalk

I would like to know your thoughts as a TT user.

The change is being pitched as a money-maker for forum owners, so it's up to you, Tom, regarding participation. But...I've already paid for the app and don't want to see any ads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I have been using the free version for about a month now and it has not started running ads yet. Won't really know until it does.

I would think this is no different then coming onto AVSIM on a browser and seeing ads on the top of the page, which I don't have a problem with. I think for it to work properly it needs to run Flight Sim related ads, preferably the same ads you currently see on the AVSIM forums in a browser.

Matthew Kane

As Wayne said... it's up to you, Tom. I also have the paid app and personally, I'd vote for no ads too. In a tab/smartphone environment they're just too obtrusive and take up valuable real estate.

Tom, I'll abide by whatever decision you make.

:smile:

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

So if we have the payed version will we have ads?

I agree there's not enough room for ads

Tom, do us Tap a Talk users generate revenue for the site like those using a standard browser? If not, shouldn't we be? You gotta make money for the service avsim provides.

Tapatalk is not my usual way to access the forums, but it's nice to have when I'm browsing on my phone. I don't have a problem with revenue generating ads to help pay your bills, so long as they don't take up a lot of the already limited screen real estate.

I don't have a problem with revenue generating ads to help pay your bills

Those ads, from what I can glean, are going to be pushed on you whether we approve or not. It only becomes a "revenue generator" for us if we agree or sign up to it; which we won't. So, at the end of the day, TapaTalk will push those ads out to you, regardless of what we want. If someone can tell me otherwise, I would be happy to hear it.

Also in the Pro app for iPhone?

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5 con Tapatalk Pro

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Also in the Pro app for iPhone?

No, only in the free ap from what I understand.

No, only in the free ap from what I understand.

Ok I have the Pro version. No problems.

Thanks Tom

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5 con Tapatalk Pro

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg