Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Some questions bout FSX.CFG settings after applying DX10 through the Fixer

I tried the DX10 Fixer last night for the first time.  I have yet to play with settings, although initial visual impacts indicated some texture blocking when changing views, and limited luck with AA (I set it at 4X AA initially),  Fps were also reduced from DX9.  But, as I indicated, I have yet to play with settings.

I have looked at my FSX.CFG file, since the Fixer made it’s changes last night, when I invoked DX10 (this is the first time I have tried DX10 at all).  The FSX.CFG file was made new (I saved and deleted the old one), and I introduced a minimal amount of tweaks such as HIMEMFIX=1 and DisablePreload=1, as well as setting my scenery and terrain settings as they were before.  Then I ran FSX and confirmed that everything looked good in DX9, then applied the Fixer to go into DX10.

Now that I have some fps and potential AA issues, I am looking at my FSX.CFG file again, and noted several things (these are compared with another that I have seen here at this forum after the Fixer applied DX10):

1. For my GPU, I have both this:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]

Mode=1920x1080x32

And this:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0.0]

AntiAlias=1

Mode=1280x720x32

TriLinear=1

Shouldn’t there be just one of these?  Note that I have two monitors, but there are also two additional entries I have not included here for the second GPU output, so that is not what you are seeing here- these both are actually for GPU.0.  Also- the second set of entries (above) , which looks like was added by the Fixer?, is after the top set, in the file.  I’m not sure if the first set is read, or the last set (where the information is repeated), or if both are read- and if so, what that does.

1. My FSX.CFG also does not have the entry (in [GRAPHICS] ) Allow_Shader_30=1.  This may be that I haven’t yet invoked a setting in the Fixer (I just let it apply the settings that were default for now). 

Thanks for any feedback.  Bruce.

Following this closely  - great questions Bruce

I have always only had one graphic card ref in cfg file but with dx10 not sure what it should be as I have seen this double listing after dx10 loaded

Rich Sennett

It's correct the first is dx9 device and the second is dx10. Shader 30 applies to dx9 not dx10

Having said that you need to change the resolution of the dx10 device. Just go into settings in fsx whilst in dx10 and correct the settings.

Dx10 scenery fixer only changes the mode d3d10= 1 or 0 and the two dx10 aa settings multi samples per pixel and multi

And the anti alias setting for the second dx10 device

It doesn't change anything else

Thanks Steve now tell me why my views are not loading correctly and I will give you a prize   :wink: 

Rich Sennett

It's correct the first is dx9 device and the second is dx10. Shader 30 applies to dx9 not dx10

Having said that you need to change the resolution of the dx10 device. Just go into settings in fsx whilst in dx10 and correct the settings.

Dx10 scenery fixer only changes the mode d3d10= 1 or 0 and the two dx10 aa settings multi samples per pixel and multi

And the anti alias setting for the second dx10 device

It doesn't change anything else

Thanks Steve, so as far as FSX.CFG is concerned, while in DX10, the only issue is the resolution off the DX10 device? As I use Windowed mode, am I correct that the resolution in the DX10 device doesn't do anything until I change to Full-screen?

In the thread that Rich started, where he is also having "texture-blocking" going on, I see a reference from Andre that relates to choking the graphics pipe-line, so maybe that's what I have to pursue. But still can't figure why the fps loss in DX10.

Thanks, Bruce.

In the thread that Rich started, where he is also having "texture-blocking" going on, I see a reference from Andre that relates to choking the graphics pipe-line, so maybe that's what I have to pursue. But still can't figure why the fps loss in DX10.

Anyone found out why the FPS drop - running around 7 frames and lower at UK2000 Heathrow - was around 15 with DX9 - is there a tweak for this ?

Denis B

Anyone found out why the FPS drop - running around 7 frames and lower at UK2000 Heathrow - was around 15 with DX9 - is there a tweak for this ?
Denis B

This one is easy to answer Denis.  UK2000 was made for FS2004 (FS9) but it can also be used in FSX.  Therefore the textures in DX10 have to be converted to the FSX format which takes longer.  Looking at their website, they are at V2 and possibly working on a V3 which may have full compatibility.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for that explanation !!

Unfortunately it is not entirely accurate.

It's true that they were made for Fs9, however, there is a version of all the UK 2000 airfields specifically for FSX.

Looking at the readme files in each version indicates that they were issued in 2009/10.

The extreme series are something else and can be very demanding, I don't have any so cannot comment.

My friends who do use them confirm this.

One of them is very involved in the development of UK 2000 and is also trying out the Dx10 Fixer.

If you wish, I can ask him to investigate and see if he can replicate and then solve your problem?

Regards,

Nick.

This one is easy to answer Denis.  UK2000 was made for FS2004 (FS9) but it can also be used in FSX.  Therefore the textures in DX10 have to be converted to the FSX format which takes longer. 

Jim,

Please edit your post, which is totally incorrect.

All UK2000 Extreme airports are made for FSX - there are, however, also versions available for those who are still using FS9.

Denis,

Have you compared DX9 and DX10 with exactly the same scenario?  My results are not the same as yours.  

In these screenshots, DX10 is reasonably steady at 19 to 20 fps whereas DX9 struggles to maintain around 19 and keeps dropping to nearer 10 fps

On my system, Heathrow is almost the only area where I can induce an OOM if my settings are too high.  Reasons are not hard to find .... in the vicinity I also have Gatwick Extreme, London City Extreme, VFR London X, Generation X hi-res photo scenery.

Add to this MyTrafficX generating A.I., Active Sky generating weather, REX generating hi-res clouds, with a LOD radius of 9.0 and most settings maxed out ....... to be honest, it's a wonder that I can get any frames at all at Heathrow.

Dave.