Sign in to follow this  
DavidV935

Where are Addon Scenery areas stored for FSX Scenery.cfg

I have about 20 addon scenery areas added for different airports. When I looked at my FSX\scenery.cfg, it only shows up to area.115 "Addon Scenery" but not any of the areas for airports added after that. Where are they stored if not in the scenery.cfg? In FS9, they were all in one scenery.cfg.

Reason for my question is this: I just installed the FSX SDK and SP1a and SP2 along with Airport Design Editor 9x. After doing so and completing the setup, I closed ADE and launched FSX, but it crashed with two error messages that scenery.cfg couldn't find area.116 or area.134. Don't know if there is any relationship between the two activities or just coincidence. Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

The working scenery.cfg is in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX

ADE has nothing to do with the scenery.cfg, delete those areas from the Scenery Library and add them back in.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks Joe...it was rather puzzling to me to look at the FSX\scenery.cfg and see the date still at 2006 and none of the changes reflected.

delete those areas from the Scenery Library and add them back in.

Just deleted those two areas, relaunched FSX and it went through the "building database" sequence. Did not get those area error messages this time, but did get "Fatal Error FSX has stopped working." It looks like I might have to do a RESTORE back a few weeks.

What were the 2 areas?

A system restore seems to be a drastic move to fix a scenery.cfg error.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Joe..Following your advice, l fixed the scenery.cfg by removing the two offending areas. After doing that, when I launched FSX, I got a Fatal Error message that didn't have anything to do with the scenery.cfg, but I didn't know that at the time. When I did the restore, I still got the same fatal error message, so that suggested it was a completely different issue from the scenery.cfg, and this issue was actually present at my last backup. So, this morning, I went to Microsoft, uninstalled SP2, reinstalled SP1, reinstalled SP2 and that fixed FSX - it launched normally. Everything seems to be working fine now, and just completed doing a system image to preserve that.

I had two unrelated problems, but thought they were related, and you helped solve the scenery.cfg problem. THANKS!! :biggrin:

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MSFS Scenery Design Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.