Sign in to follow this  
Azone

Question about installing FS Global 2010

Simple question but;  Did you remember to run the Terrain Configuration Tool after install and tell it to switch from Default Terrain to FS Global terrain?   You should see all kinds of mad gains on this, even in the US.      I did a flight to KPIT-Pittsburg International and what was once a flat landing became what it should be; rolling hills and rivers that are actually dipped down in the terrain rather than being flat.   It was a stunning change in detail, even for 'FLAT' terrain.    The mountains near El Paso international look amazing now for me.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Simple question but;  Did you remember to run the Terrain Configuration Tool after install and tell it to switch from Default Terrain to FS Global terrain?   You should see all kinds of mad gains on this, even in the US.      I did a flight to KPIT-Pittsburg International and what was once a flat landing became what it should be; rolling hills and rivers that are actually dipped down in the terrain rather than being flat.   It was a stunning change in detail, even for 'FLAT' terrain.    The mountains near El Paso international look amazing now for me.

Who were you directing that question to?

All you have to do? If it's that easy, why doesn't FSGlobal do it. For $100 bucks for mesh software, I paid somebody to do that. I respect the fact that they added a elevation fixer, but instead of developing that, they should have just applied the mesh elevation fixes to all that airports that require it in the base package. I never did quite understand that. It's a a lot of work, but that's a lot of money.

Regardless, it won't matter soon, because according to JV at Orbx, the upcoming Global Vector will work hand in hand with Global mesh and will provide elevation fixes for all 24K+ airports. If this is accurate, this will be a huge boost for mesh products.

Since Pilots and Orbx are working together on Vector I'm sure the only thing that will be used is the same data that's now provided with FS Global 2010. Run the disk and pick the airport ..flatten it...to make it look like FTX Global were you started from. I doubt Orbx is going to change that themselves they will just recycle it from Pilots.

Of course if you aren't running any mesh you won't need to flatten any airports.

Is there a link you can point to for this? This doesn't make any sense to me, as FTX-G Vector only lays down more accurate linear features (roads, rivers, coastlines  etc.)  on whatever mesh you are running - no correction for airports on the digital terrain model is included from what I have read so far...

Post #238

You guys are not reading my posts smile.png

We are correcting the elevation of all 24,000 FSX airports. What that means is if you use a good quality mesh you will have no issues at. The FS Global 2008/2010/2012 all fall into this category and so does FSGenesis.

I hope this is clear now?

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Post #238

Ah, thanks - this is potentially really good news - though still interesting that the airport elevation adjustments might be wrapped in the "Vector" product, this would be fine by me, but JV states further down that thread that

"...It (Vector), only places roads, rivers, lakes, coastlines, parks, golf courses etc."

but if the adjustments get made, it will be nice to be able to upgrade the mesh without having to individually process messed up airports....

Who were you directing that question to?

You.   You say you aren't getting any better details on your terrain after installing FS Global.   By default, FS Global does not turn on the new mesh automatically.   You have to go into the Terrain Configuation Tool that it installs under the PILOT'S menu in your Programs and tell it to switch to FS Global Terrain.   It will do a short little load then tell you to Save the new Terrain.cfg file it just made.  Click the save button and you should see majestic mountains, rolling hills and airports on the coast lines suspended 10k in the air.  :)     A separate tool they give you fixes that problem as you encounter it.   

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I'm getting details but they are minimal and yes it does show up in the scenery library where you can check it off or on.

Yes did the "terrain TOOL" .

If you aren't running FTX Global you won't see what I am seeing. Which is virtually nothing different from FTX Global and what really bugs me is in when you turn off FS Global it reverts all the way back to default FSX not FTXG.

read this post..

"Well, I'll be darned...! You are right! I loaded VQPR and I only have FTXG and default mesh and it looks exactly like your first picture!!! Well, this one has me speechless... Okay, maybe the airport elevation data sticks even when you disable FS Global but that should not have an impact on the mountains in the distance which look totally different from your FSX default screenshot AND the one with FS Global disabled... This is a mystery to me...! (And sorry I doubted you LOL!)

I would almost reinstall FSX completely to check how this all looks on my with FSX completely default...!

"

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/64669-orbx-announces-ftx-global-vector-and-iceland-free-demo/page-18

I am confused now.    Since when did FTXG do anything to the terrain mesh?   It's a texture and light replacer.    Uninstalling FS Global should have no impact on FTXG.  

I don't know what else to tell you.   I have both installed and the differences to me are quite noticeable in mountainous terrain and in hill country.  

100454.png

Brian Navy

When I downloaded FS Global (the second zip file ie PILOTsFSG2010FTX.z01) using Internet Download Manager, it shows up in the file I downloaded with a 'page' icon vs. the little 'vice' icon normal for zip files.

Does this mean it did not download properly?

When I downloaded FS Global (the second zip file ie PILOTsFSG2010FTX.z01) using Internet Download Manager, it shows up in the file I downloaded with a 'page' icon vs. the little 'vice' icon normal for zip files.

Does this mean it did not download properly?

See my reply to you post in the other "HOT" topic.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

With reference to "You have to go into the Terrain Configuation Tool that it installs under the PILOT'S menu in your Programs and tell it to switch to FS Global Terrain.", Could you be more specific as to where the 'Terrain Configuration Tool can be found? I am not finding a 'Pilot's Menu'? Not sure what you mean by 'your Programs'?

Thanks

Never mind. I found it. Sorry to waste time.