Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Need help with flight planning from VTBS-VVTS

I am taking off from runway 19L from Bangkok and my destination is Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. I select my DEP as Runway 19L using the SIMON1 SID, and then for ARR I have no clue what to do next. I want to land on an ILS runway at VVTS and the only available ones are 25L/R. I am looking at various STAR charts for VVTS and not sure which STAR would make the most logical sense. since I will be flying past the airport and making a uturn to head towards my final approach down towards runway 25L/R.Here's my flight plan so far:

VVTS SIMON1 MAHON RYN GOMES BOKAK PNH POPET SAPEN CUCHI TSN this is where I'm stuck. Also how do I know what flight level to set to in the FMC? I've never really flown in the Asian region before, so I don't know what the transitional altitude is and etc.

So could someone please help me create a nice smooth and enjoyable flight plan from VVTS-VVTS please. Thanks. I am flying the 777-200LR btw.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

You need to setup a DME Arc manually in the FMC and not go direct to TSN.

So after CHUCHI go like this (as per chart 11-2)

TSN 181/12 TSN 135/12 TSN 085/12 and so on....

This is a radial/distance format.

(This is just off the top of my head, this EXCELLENT video below shows a captain setting up a DME/ARC in the FMC)

http://youtu.be/o1Qh5QRpkaY

Wow that sounds complicated, wish there was an easier way.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Aaron,

Sounds like a good opportunity to combine learning something new to flying into a new region.  

Anyway, there are several ways to get a ready-made flight plan.  Go to http://vataware.com, perform a city pair search for VTBS, VVTS, select any of the flights, and you can the "route" they took.  You could also download the freeware version of vroute.info at http://www.vroute.net/ and perform a similar search.  Having selected a route, then look for a STAR that includes the last waypoint in the route.  This isn't a sure thing, only a guide.  For flight levels, see this Flight Separation Table.  For transitional altitudes, etc, search the airport charts.  For VVTS, I see transition level FL100 and transition altitude 9000.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Wow that sounds complicated, wish there was an easier way.

It is not as hard as it appears. You can watch that video link for starters.

The rest is as simple as creating a waypoint by typing into the scratchpad TSN RADIAL/DISTANCE.

So if you wanted to be on the 189 radial at 12 DEM you would simply punch into the scratchpad:

TSN 189/12 and it will show up as TSN 01 waypoint.

If you are using the FMC on the PMDG this will be a hunk of cake to learn, and that is the cool part of the sim, if we mess it up we can always try and try again and nobody gets hurt and nothing gets broken!

Unless you OOM that is :D Then it is tantrum time!