Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

DX10+Bloom+Shade=WOW!

Anybody else try Shade in DX10?  I spent a few hours flying with it last night and trying out the different presets.  It looks amazing in DX10 with bloom enabled.  It makes the sim so much more atmospheric.

The sky colors at dusk and dawn are BEAUTIFUL!

A few pictures would be nice.

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

Shade Theme:  Just Peachy

Shade Theme:  Desert Tints

Quite appropriate for desert flying like this one over Las Vegas.

Shade Theme:  Slightly Green

This one looks great in tropical settings.

Shade Theme:  Winter Chills

Looks just right and very atmospheric.  Taken at Innsbruck.

I agree Maurice. Shade + Dx10 = Awesome

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I just got DX10 fixer and I too have Shade.  I will try out the presets noted here but for the life of me I cant really see where Shade makes a difference in FSX!!  If you were to post the same screenshots with Shade off would you be able to spot the difference?

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

I agree Maurice. Shade + Dx10 = Awesome

The only downside I see is darker cloud shadows during the day.  But I got used to it and on a lot of presets, it's not too bad.  I thought it looked good in DX9 with the supplied ENB settings, but in DX10 it looks so much better using FSX's built in bloom.

I just got DX10 fixer and I too have Shade.  I will try out the presets noted here but for the life of me I cant really see where Shade makes a difference in FSX!!  If you were to post the same screenshots with Shade off would you be able to spot the difference?

There are a lot of presets.  Some just subtle while others are VERY dramatic.

One thing Shade does is change the darkness/color of default shadows and make them darker than default.  It gives a more 3D look to mountains and all the ridges.  The better your mesh resolution, the more dramatic the effect.

It also changes the color of lighting, fog and add its own colors to the sky texture.  So your REX textures become the base and you can see the sky colors from Shade blended into it.

To see a big difference, try out the "Endless Summer" preset.  During noon, everything has a yellow tint to it.  If you try "Desert Tints", you will get a red tint.

If you still want to see comparison shots, I'll be happy to post some but it won't be until tomorrow when I have time to fly again.

Are you inserting your Shade themes correctly using the GUI and cloning your chosen preset from the "Day1" tab into day2 to day10?

There are times when Shade effects can be burnt into your FSX (power outage, re-starting FSX before Shade unloads, accidentally pressed 'set and forget', etc).

To reset this, you simply re-install your dawn/day/dusk sky colors from REX.

Hi Maurice

Thanks for the info.  If you can post some comparison shots that would be great!  I am inserting shade themes correctly using the GUI and cloning day1 into day2-10 ok.  I guess my untrained eyes fail to see the difference.  Is there any unique setting(s) that should be used in the Dx10 fixer to optimize the shade mod?

John Pipilas

Win 10 ​- i7 2600k CPU - AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU 

You will see what shade can do, in a night-to-dawn transition...into a clear and sunny day. When this happens,make sure you are in the Rocky Mountains, and you will see clearly the darker side of the mountains not seeing the sunrise...with fabulous and life-like shadow upon the slopes. Those shadows shape-shift and move across the mountain's side as the sun rises, creating a most life-like sense of 'being there'. This is were SHADE really bring it into your face!  It makes the mountains three dimensional...and I never click on FSX, until I first click--->OPUS---->SHADE--->FSX!  Happy flights!

Hi John,

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary in the DX10 fixer.  I have the water shader disabled because I like the water to look brighter.

Just make sure to turn on your bloom in FSX.

Don't forget to look in the two extra folders marked "new version 1.01" and "new version 1.02".  There are more presets to choose from in those folders.

Here's some shots:  (Mind the external aircraft lights.  They didn't automatically turn on when I re-loaded the saved flight to get the after pics and I probably forgot in the TNCM shots).

Before:  Taken at TNCM

After:  Using Shade preset "Endless Summer"

Before:

After:  Using Shade preset "Shepard's Delight"

Before:

After:  Using Shade preset "Lemon Pie After Dinner"

I can't change to DX10 because of my ENB and shade, how did you manage to do it?

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I can't change to DX10 because of my ENB and shade, how did you manage to do it?

Shade has always worked in Dx10. It is only ENB that does not. Sweetfx works in DX10 for those that like it.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Julian's right.  Shade is DX10 compatible.

For the bloom, I'm using FSX's internal bloom.  In DX10, I get no performance loss with bloom enabled.  I like it a lot more than enb.

I made and uploaded this last week.  You can see some of DX10's bloom effects here.  There are other effects not shown.  Only a few shots used Shade.

Ok so there is more than one shade? 

Do you have links to them both? I have sweetfx only. I tried to uninstall the ENB to try out DX10. but I was unsuccesful any advice?

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

There's only one Shade.  It works on both DX9 and DX10.

Even if you have ENB, DX10 should still work.  FSX will ignore it because it's a DX9 dll.

After switching to DX10, you run Shade like you normally do.

Where are you having problems when trying DX10?