Sign in to follow this  

Scotland better than England?

I know it can be almost impossible to tell the difference, but to a discerning eye it's a bit, no, VERY irritating!

LOL

ORBX could make it white smoke; would that help?   :rolleyes:  :O  :ph34r:

I personally wasn't impressed with the housing estate on Regents Park with FTX ENG but the rest is pretty good. I'm happy with the cost and will probably pick up a couple of the smaller airports.

JJ

Jason Jackett

Pity I can't edit the OP anymore because I am back to Norway... I don't know exactly what it is but the combination of Norwegian freeware and FTXG plus UTX makes Norway shine and I am genuinly beginning to wonder if the upcoming FTX Norway South will be good enough... After a few flights above FTX England I found there is something lacking or wrong when it comes to the landclass and some textures that made me run back to Norway again. It looks a bit fake... Do you know those guys who are crazy about model trains and who have build a huge track on their attic with those little plastic trees and fake grass? Well, somehow FTX England makes me thing of that. While Norway looks stunningly real.

So forget about Scotland. I am too scared I won't like it as much as I like Norway as it is now. I really hope I won't have to say the same of FTX Norway South...

do you care to share the link for free Norway :-)?

ZORAN

I personally wasn't impressed with the housing estate on Regents Park with FTX ENG but the rest is pretty good. I'm happy with the cost and will probably pick up a couple of the smaller airports.

JJ

Small English ORBX airports currently on sale (GBP 8.88 each) at flightsimstore.

Unfortunately, EGHI is NOT included ...

Actually I think FTX ENG is a good "all in one" package for people who haven't invested in English airfields, VFR London, English photoscenery yet.

Absolutely. Especially when you compare the combined cost of all the Horizon photosceneries, autogen tree packs, VFR London and airfields. Orbx actually represents pretty good value for money!

There's still a bloody smoking chimney stack in the middle of Chelmsford where a cathedral ought to be!

Yeah stuff like that can be pretty annoying. So many of us can spot things wrong with our local areas... I know I can see various things wrong with mine - stuff that wouldn't be missed by someone not familar with the area, but sticks out like a sore thumb for someone who is familiar with the area.

Still, I take Orbx for what it is. I didn't expect a super dooper accurate version of Englad with all the local landmarks and points of interest represented. In fact I keep telling myself I have to learn how to make my own scenery objects to add to my local area to improve it.

Anyone know if there are any tutorials available for this?

Small English ORBX airports currently on sale (GBP 8.88 each) at flightsimstore.

Unfortunately, EGHI is NOT included ...

Thanks Olli, yes I plan on picking up Elstree at least!

J

Jason Jackett

I had a close look at Norway to see why I like it so much more than England. Well, apart from the obvious (Norway is far more beautiful in real life! ^_^ ) the main problem with England are (some of) the textures that indeed lack contrast! The FTX Global textures really blow those England textures out of the sky! With FTXG (and so in Norway) the autogen really blends in perfectly but with England the autogen often sticks out.

I completely uninstalled England and won't buy Scotland. I really, really hope FTX Norway South will be a huge leap forward for the team that develops these sceneries. (I really wished the orginal team that did the US would have done Europe too...!!!)

I agree with most of your thoughts Jeroen, except Scotland. I have found it a wonderful place to fly and IMO is better than England. The problem with England is the vast amount of autogen and it's density. I suspect, and I don't think I'm alone with this, is that the sheer volume of work affected the overall end quality, one example would be the coastlines and some of the textures. With Scotland, a much smaller region and of course far less dense Autogen. It's only a guess, but maybe with what autogen there is, it allowed the devs to maybe work a little harder and put in a bit more effort.

I flew in Aus yesterday and I had forgotten the high quality of the textures, but more so the time that has obviously been spent with the hand placing of some autogen. The same can be seen with the US releases, especially SAK, which IMO is stunning. So, if Norway South is built to the same standard as PNW then we will all have something very special to look forward to.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Well, great, now you've got me thinking about getting Scotland again LOL

You're welcome. Take note that in the meantime I posted an update (on the last page right now) because two links of the OP don't work anymore because the files have been moved to Flightsim.com.

ORBX England was the first scenery I'd purchased from ORBX. What a huge disappointment. Maybe my expectations were to heigh, or maybe it just didn't hit the mark.

It's left me uncertain and I have not purchased anything else from them.

I've now formulated an opinion that if its an Area your familiar with ORBX is maybe not the path to follow. I say this because if the area I know well is not familiar how can I be certain other areas are not the same.

When they release Norway I will be most interested in your thoughts Jeroen as then maybe I can reconsider.

ORBX England was the first scenery I'd purchased from ORBX. What a huge disappointment. Maybe my expectations were to heigh, or maybe it just didn't hit the mark.

It's left me uncertain and I have not purchased anything else from them.

I've now formulated an opinion that if its an Area your familiar with ORBX is maybe not the path to follow. I say this because if the area I know well is not familiar how can I be certain other areas are not the same.

When they release Norway I will be most interested in your thoughts Jeroen as then maybe I can reconsider.

I would say the opposite is true of their North American scenery. They've really done a great job with it. It isn't perfect, but given the limitations of FSX they've done a splendid job with the Alaskan coast. I really can't fly VFR in any other scenery in FSX, with the exception of FlyTampa's Caribbean scenery.

That said, I think the only way to get decent scenery, in terms of accuracy, is to make it into a community effort, or hire the guys from FinlandX to show devs how it can be done with a lot of automation (given that you can get hold of the source data):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TwR4VgEgiE

Norway will be a real challenge for ORBX. Using landclass technology to populate the narrow coastlines between mountains and ocean, and the narrow row of houses along roads that make up most villages, is going to be very hard. Norway is very rural and there are few large towns and villages. They'd need to think out of the box, like Scenery Solutions did with Ultimate Alaska X.

The Norwegian freeware that so many of us enjoy, is good, but far from accurate for most of the country.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

There's still a bloody smoking chimney stack in the middle of Chelmsford where a cathedral ought to be! :angry:

Or perhaps it's meant to be the Britvic chimney?

I'm not sure whether England was actually a good area for Orbx to depict given the way they model. I had previously purchased Australia and the American North West Coast sceneries; all areas of great natural beauty. But England compared to them is pretty much green and featureless with most of its beauty and quirkiness being in its man-made structures. And so, to find that most of that had been omitted, London apart, was a big disappointment. I did read somewhere on their forum that to include these objects would have taken millions of man hours but places like cathedrals, castles and significant bridges really should have been in.

So you have to ask yourself why Orbx took it upon themselves to do England? Well, the cynic in me will say it was a pure commercial decision particularly given the feedback when it first appeared on their roadmap. Let's face it, they could have shoved a blank DVD in a box, labelled it "Orbx England", and it would have sold by the lorry load. And then, of course, you can finish the thing off at your leisure or simply let the community do it for you.

I have to say I use England very rarely with most of my time in the other regions I have, particularly the American sceneries which are superb. These are the sort of sceneries Orbx should concentrate on and which they do very well.

- Geoffrey

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton