Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Airport lights LOD?

Is there any way to eliminate or reduce the LOD used in the airport/runway/taxiway lights? I think that the effect is a little distracting when descending for a landing (where the lights in the other end of the runway are fewer), and that taxiway lights appear only when you get close to the airport. I'd prefer to have lights from all airports showing when in the air (more realistic and I don't think the FPS impact will be that big).

I took a screenshot and added some faint red lines to show what I mean. The red lines are where the LOD is applied and reduces the amount of lights: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7290/ls8o.jpg

It's related to AA settings in nvidia inspector. Are you using that?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It's related to AA settings in nvidia inspector. Are you using that?

No, I have an AMD card. Though I can't see how this could be related to AA settings.

Maybe it's something different than I see in your pic. On my system the amount of AA is inversely proportional to how many lights display at night on the airport environment.

It's worse if I use super or multi sampling.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Can you make a video of what you mean? Maybe is the same issue I reported in other topic.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Add this under [Display] and adjust to your liking.  

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2 //adjust values to suit your scale
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0

Maybe it's something different than I see in your pic. On my system the amount of AA is inversely proportional to how many lights display at night on the airport environment.

It's worse if I use super or multi sampling.

Should have made it more clear, this is not my picture. Here is the original picture, which still shows the amount of runway lights getting smaller the farther you are: http://www.simstop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/AfterTweak2.jpg

Can you make a video of what you mean? Maybe is the same issue I reported in other topic.

I don't think my computer would handle video recording with FSX. I think that the issue I described is quite visible in the screenshot I posted (check out the original too). Which is the topic so I can see what your problem is?

Add this under [Display] and adjust to your liking.  

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2 //adjust values to suit your scale

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.2

RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.0

Don't those adjust the size of the lights? Because I already have those commands to make the lights smaller (too big on high-res monitors).

I think what he's saying is that the only way to make them appear more consistently or sooner is to make them bigger because otherwise you are held back by FSX's LOD system which probably registers the lights too small to show at the other end of the runway.

You see the same thing with autogen 3d lighting from programs like UTX or FTXG. The bigger the lights are, the further they'll show up.

I think what he's saying is that the only way to make them appear more consistently or sooner is to make them bigger because otherwise you are held back by FSX's LOD system which probably registers the lights too small to show at the other end of the runway.

You see the same thing with autogen 3d lighting from programs like UTX or FTXG. The bigger the lights are, the further they'll show up.

Really? When I made my lights smaller I didn't notice any difference. If that's so, you have to make the lights absurdly large to eliminate FSX's LOD system.

I think the suggestion about filter settings still might be it, however it would probably be tied to anisotropic filtering by the looks of the pix if that's the case.

What are you using in FSX settings, Bilinear, Trilinear or Aniso ?

I think the suggestion about filter settings still might be it, however it would probably be tied to anisotropic filtering by the looks of the pix if that's the case.

What are you using in FSX settings, Bilinear, Trilinear or Aniso ?

Anisotropic. But honestly, it feels more like a LOD system. I can clearly see lights appearing as I get closer to the runway/airport, or disappearing when I get away from the runway/airport.

Anisotropic. But honestly, it feels more like a LOD system. I can clearly see lights appearing as I get closer to the runway/airport, or disappearing when I get away from the runway/airport.

Ok, I here you but what aniso level are you using in Catylist to overide default low FSX aniso?

I'm just trying to make sure you have the highest texture quality settings selected before we move on because it looks like just low quality filtering going on.

It would help if you post a pix and all your graphic settings.

Ok, I here you but what aniso level are you using in Catylist to overide default low FSX aniso?

I'm just trying to make sure you have the highest texture quality settings selected before we move on because it looks like just low quality filtering going on.

It would help if you post a pix and all your graphic settings.

I use the in-game FSX setting because the CCC filtering setting causes more shimmering.

I use the in-game FSX setting because the CCC filtering setting causes more shimmering.

Well you have done good up to a point but I think there is your problem, minimum Aniso and Ill bet more needs to be setup in CCC.

there are some work around's and I would be happy to help but due to that fact that ATI does not like to play as Nice with FSX as NV does I no longer run AFX with my ATI.

You should do search here or post a new topic in the hardware forums "best settings for ATI for FSX" I'll bet my lunch, dinner and a good Beer that ALL the right settings will make you happy.

Please keep posting, if that doesn't do it everyone is right here to help you.

Well you have done good up to a point but I think there is your problem, minimum Aniso and Ill bet more needs to be setup in CCC.

there are some work around's and I would be happy to help but due to that fact that ATI does not like to play as Nice with FSX as NV does I no longer run AFX with my ATI.

You should do search here or post a new topic in the hardware forums "best settings for ATI for FSX" I'll bet my lunch, dinner and a good Beer that ALL the right settings will make you happy.

Please keep posting, if that doesn't do it everyone is right here to help you.

Sorry for getting back late to this, but I've been quite busy recently.

I found a thread for optimal AMD settings in here, and set up the CCC to be like this, however I didn't see any change in FSX regarding the airport lights LOD. I just saw lots of shimmering, which is why I reverted to the vanilla FSX settings.