Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mac68

Sailplane/Glider

I am curious as to the procedures for flying gliders in the AVSIM multiplayer environment in regards to fliling flight plans and ATC etc.
Seeing as I am usually returning to the same airfield I take off from, I am assuming that the flight plan I file needs to be done a specific way, as there is no to/from "route" as such. Also, in regards to online ATC, would I just request flight following from nearest ATC and use the local approach/tower frequency just to keep other local pilots aware of my intentions and situation? (I find small fields rarely manned online)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No idea about the sim, but I can give some real-life context.   (caveat is that I'm in the US so answer will likely be different if you fly elsewhere)

Flightplans - If you're staying below FL180 (which is pretty normal for us US east coasters), then no flightplan is filed.  No idea what the requirement above FL180 is, as that is Class A airspace and is not available to VFR aircraft.  ATC does provide for "wave windows" in certain areas, allowing flights above FL180, but I have no idea how clearance/filing for these works.

ATC - Typically, my experience has been that gliders mixing with a lot of powered traffic doesn't work too well in the congested airspace that you'd see around a towered airport.  As such, most gliders launch from uncontrolled airports (meaning no towers) and talk on the corresponding CTAF.    I'm not saying it doesn't happen...I'm just saying I've never seen it, and I certainly have no interest in doing it.

So, net result is don't file and don't deal with ATC.  Go fly and have fun...that's what flying gliders is all about.