Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

Piston Duke: more screenshots posted

I wonder if this update will be available to purchase this weekend? There are only two days left in September!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hopefully it will be fps optimized graphics. The Duke is allready an fps eater, at least the turbine version.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hopefully it will be fps optimized graphics. The Duke is allready an fps eater, at least the turbine version.

Surprised to hear you say this.  Neither the Turbine nor Piston Dukes are frame-hogs on my modest machine.

Of course, I use RXP GPS's rather than the stock ones, and in a number of cases I've noted that seems to make a substantial positive performance impact.

Scott

Delicious!  One of my favorite aircraft.  Great of FPS, great on VAS, can run 4096 textures and LOD 9.5 with this Aircraft under any weather conditions.

Surprised to hear you say this.  Neither the Turbine nor Piston Dukes are frame-hogs on my modest machine.

Of course, I use RXP GPS's rather than the stock ones, and in a number of cases I've noted that seems to make a substantial positive performance impact.

Scott

It is very noticable when flying in ORBX scenery which is quite dense!

It is very noticable when flying in ORBX scenery which is quite dense!

Understood.   I do a majority of my flying in Orbx regions and to/from Orbx airports.  Last night's flight was the Turbine Duke from CEJ4 (Orbx freeware, and surprisingly tough on frames) to the new KBZN (Orbx payware) in broken to scattered clouds (REX wx).  NRM and CRM regions.  No issues and a great flight.

Not suggesting you're wrong, of course, just that I'm surprised as these planes have performed well for me.

Scott

It's strange how FPS can be so different between otherwise similar systems. Every1's FSX is unique it seems.

I wonder if this update will be available to purchase this weekend? There are only two days left in September!
They still say September on their site, so it's promising for the weekend  B)

Even stock planes can be hard on fps in Orbx Land

:roll

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Sorry to be blunt but the Duke has never been an fps eater relative to other detailed GA addons. The V2 piston duke will have higher resolution textures, plus an option to keep the whole lot loaded if you are switching views, or flushed from memory if you prefer. But we didn't go mad on texture resolution because 4096 textures can seriously degrade performance and we avoid this. Our testers are reporting 30+ fps minimum in typical scenery with sliders at an average but not low or super high level. You can't have tons of detail and expect miracles whether it is scenery or aircraft, or traffic.

If you get frame rate problems running high detail in ORBX scenery then blame it on an aircraft it does seem a bit unfair.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Sorry to be blunt but the Duke has never been an fps eater relative to other detailed GA addons. The V2 piston duke will have higher resolution textures, plus an option to keep the whole lot loaded if you are switching views, or flushed from memory if you prefer. But we didn't go mad on texture resolution because 4096 textures can seriously degrade performance and we avoid this. Our testers are reporting 30+ fps minimum in typical scenery with sliders at an average but not low or super high level. You can't have tons of detail and expect miracles whether it is scenery or aircraft, or traffic.

If you get frame rate problems running high detail in ORBX scenery then blame it on an aircraft it does seem a bit unfair.

I don't mean to be unfair, that is why I made it very clear that I run heavy scenery - ORBX. 5 fps less in ORBX territory can often mean 20% less fps total. I just prefer more detail in scenery and less detail in aircraft. That said, I own both your Dukes, the SF-260 and Scout. You make quality aircraft for sure, but I'm just worried that all these high quality interiors are going to make my landings more difficult. It's on short final on short strips that fps loss becomes critical. Seems I'm the only one though, so don't sweat it Robert. Keep on keeping on!

The best way to measure fps loss is to go to a area void of anything, unlock fps, clear skies etc.  I usually test at KEDW (which has some static buildings, but there's really no water, and I turn off AI too).

Then I make sure no vsync is on and look at stock cessna.  Use that number as the base, then compare all my other addons, usually in the VC, and let the fps average out over 5 min or so per plane.  That's a real direct way of doing it on your own PC.  Obviously for most planes made these days you'll find some big drops with payware against C172.  

As far as orbx goes, I think I'll use Flight1's stance: "FSX is simulating flight, it should be the first priority for smoothness, and adjust sliders for addon scenery as needed."

That being said if you also happen to run OPUS wx, and have their recommended cloud layers you'll really start noticing hits with orbx, lots of clouds, payware airplanes and airports (and approaching VAS OOM territory).  Just balance them, and load/save cfg's for different situations.  For example, when I fly a complex plane in Orbx land I use LOD 4.5 (max in-game level), and NO AI.  Outside of orbx I normally use LOD 5.5 with other balanced settings etc.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

There's lots of software out there that's a "frame rate eater', the Duke is not one of them.

Judging the from the screenshots Duke 2.0 reeks of premium quality, again.