Sign in to follow this  
waleed

Time confusion

I am using PFPX, and Opus for my flights, but have gotten myself into the "Time continuum" mess lol.

I edit the STD, and ETD to match 8:30 a.m. in Dubai to create a flight from OMDB to KJFK.

Once I launch FSX, I setup the time to 8:00 a.m. to give me time to set up the T for the trip, but the time in the chrono shows different.

I presume it could be GMT, but it is off by half an hour for that to be the case.

Any insight, or advice for resetting the time in the cockpit would be appreciated, as Dr. Emmet is not responding to my calls right now :P

Waleed N

The time zone in FSX is buggy. I remember there is a way to fix it, but you can always set the UTC instead of local time.

Any insight, or advice for resetting the time in the cockpit would be appreciated, as Dr. Emmet is not responding to my calls right now

The time zone in FSX is buggy. I remember there is a way to fix it, but you can always set the UTC instead of local time.

Make sure your default flight is in the same time zone that your PC is set to. So if you live in Dubai ensure the default flight is there.  Then when you start FSX you can set the UTC to the required time and local times will show correctly.  The only problem which can then happen is due to daylight saving time which can be incorrect when local change dates are not the same as US daylight saving change dates.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Waleed, I recomend you using this application.

You can use the base functionality free of charge. That's all you need to always sync time between FSX, flight plannng apps, Windows, etc

http://fs-real-time.software.informer.com/

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

I guess my main concern is that the T7 is in sync with the time I setup in the sim for the flight.

I setup the ETD in PFPX, and that is what I assume Opus reads for the weather, but am not sure what the T7 does.

I download the winds from Opus and input them into the CDU, but is that affected in any way by the time on the chrono?

Waleed N

ETD means Estimated Time of Departure

Opus weather reads what the weather is. Not what the time is. "The Time now is cloudy and rain" "The Weather is 8 O'Clock in the morning" isn't a thing.

The 777 displays what FSX thinks the time is. It displays UTC time. The time it is at the Greenwich meridian not adjusted for daylight savings or local time.

The wind from opus includes information like "At FL350 and position (Waypoint) the wind is 240 degrees / 55 knots, temperature -49°C" again, the time isn't 240°/55kts ;)

The 777 (and 737, MD11, LDS767, Majestic Q400, Default Cessna 172) clock shows the current UTC (Zulu) time that FSX is set to. The time FSX is set to will effect how dark it is, when sunrise and sunset happen etc.

Ah Trent, thank you as you have just solved it for me.

I read somewhere that PMDG was able to fix the issue of time and follow the PC set time, but so long as it still follows the assumed time in FSX then that is no problem.

Waleed N

I would still reccomend installing the http://www.3dsoftworks.net/products/fsrealtime/download.asp fsrealtime bgl's fixes. FSX has some wierd ideas about timezones and will sometimes make FSX suddenly 'jump' an hour or half an hour forward/backward in local time as you cross certain country borders (complete with the sun position jumping around, sometimes even setting, then unsetting, then setting again).

This doesn't effect the Weather, or the 777's fuel predictions etc... but it's just annoying seeing the sun/clock do those silly things.

Just run it at the start is enough.

Technically running the installer to get the corrected timezone .bgl files in should be enough. I believe there are 2 sets, basically "Winter" and "Summer" that fixes the daylight savings relationships between locations, though that only changes how local time interacts with GMT and should only be an issue if you think in terms of local time spawning the sim.

Assuming you don't pause (or get a system freeze) the time should run about right thereafter. There's a feature in fsuicp that will 'resync' the time if 'jitters' and small things hang the sim by a few seconds that will work ok.

The way I use fsrealtime is just run it twice a year to get in/out of daylight savings, and never run it inbetween (instead just set the time up properly when you hit "Start Flight" and let the fsuipc sort out the small differences if they happen. Obviously fsuicp can't stop the sim dropping behind time if you pause/time compress, but the workaround there is easy. Don't pause/timecompress  :P

The way I use fsrealtime is just run it twice a year to get in/out of daylight savings...

Ok, thanks for the info! Should be even easier for me as we don't have DS here in WA.

Ok, thanks for the info! Should be even easier for me as we don't have DS here in WA.

That'll work if you spawn in Perth most of the time, though if you spawn up at YMML at 7:30pm in January and it's dark, and your UTC time is out by 1 hour, you'll know why.

Easy fix: Change the UTC time back to what it should be, tada!