Sign in to follow this  
UAL1063

Funny Story

A few weeks ago I was waiting for a flight at SEATAC to DFW, hoping I could catch an earlier flight than I booked. I saw a man in an AA airlines uniform at the desk, so I went to inquire. He informed me that he was a pilot and didn't know anything about schedules, but he could answer any questions I had about flying.

Now, honestly, at this point what is a flight-simmer going to do? I asked, "Are you flying the 738 at the gate." He said yes. I said, "I think I can fly your plane." He looked at me and asked, "Oh, are you retired from Boeing?" Ouch! He noticed the gray hair.

Well, I had to be honest so I told him about my long-term interest in MS Flight Simulation, and about my recent experience with the new PMDG T7 and how accurately modeled the aircraft is. I said, "Truthfully, I think I could climb in a real T7 and crank it up." He looked at me, smiled and said, "Well, it is the easiest aircraft in the fleet to start ... you know, almost one button start." Ouch again!

All I could do at this point was to say, "Have a nice flight, captain.", and walk away. As I turned I heard him say, "All I wanted to do was find a quiet place with a company computer, but that didn't work out so well, did it?" Sorry, captain.

I think this is known as "Getting put in your place."  :blush:  

Gus White

UAL1063

I would guess Flight Simmers are highly annoying to some airline pilots when making statements about flying their planes.. considering the amount of expense, schooling, hours, and training they put into their careers.  Just a guess...

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

I would guess Flight Simmers are highly annoying to some airline pilots when making statements about flying their planes.. considering the amount of expense, schooling, hours, and training they put into their careers.  Just a guess...

i agree . i also think that some of them have no idea how desktop flight simulation is so realistic nowadays .

i agree . i also think that some of them have no idea how desktop flight simulation is so realistic nowadays .

As much as I would like to agree, I would have to disagree. Sure we simmers could probably start up and fly these jets in real life, HOWEVER; I believe pilots have a majority of their training for the emergency situations and other things we couldn't hold a candle to. Even if we can find our way around the flight deck, what will we do if a circuit breaker trips? Didn't PMDG and other companies skip over that part? What I mean is that maybe over 90% of the systems etc are or can actually be modeled. That 10% could be what really matters.

Also Pilots do have their pride. I mean how would you feel if some joe or some kid come to you and say that they can do your job, which you spent years and effort to achieve and such?

cheers!

You can teach a gorilla to fly an airplane ..if you had enough bananas. The point is that 90% of the training is for emergency's. What happen if this goes or you lose this, or if this goes by by. When I got my private pilots license that's all we did, as for actually flying the airplane that's pretty straight forward. Learning the "systems" also take up quite a lot of training time.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG 777" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Sometimes the best way to engage with a pilot is to listen instead of talk. Ask instead of tell. Be interested instead of demand interest. If you show some semblance of knowledge about terms they use (FMC, SID, STAR, Airway, EFB) the pilot may feel comfortable telling you some cool story or tale.

Or they might just want to be left alone so they can catch up with their emails, forums and so on.

The worst thing you can do is to "compete" with a professional. That will just hurt their ego. Show interest, ask something even if you already know answer instead of  showing off yourself.

I feel that I am really good at Race Car games but I tell you if I had a moment with Mario Andretti....I would not go up to him and tell him how good I am at what he does on my computer.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol: He would think I was totally insane.

So why would anyone go up to a professional pilot and do the same???  To do that you are totally insane. 

Matthew Kane

I've told a few pilots that I'm learning how to fly and after asking a few intelligent questions regarding their plane they tend to open up. Its downright arrogant to claim that you can fly an airliner without any professional training, heck even the flying lessons that rod machado put together for fs did little to prepare me to fly a real Cessna. Yea his stuff is awesome book knowledge but when it comes to actually flying fsx doesn't hold a candle to the real thing.