Sign in to follow this  
DAL1850

In Search of the Legendary KingAir C90B Tutorial...

I have been combing the inter-nets in search of good reference/tutorial materials on the Carenado C90B. I have found half a dozen posts that speak of an amazing fabled tutorial authored by the "legendary" Kurt Kalbfleisch (aka Yoda?) - so fabled that bards sing of it, and maids weep over its beautiful magnificence. All have hailed it as the Dead Sea Scroll for all things KingAir, and speak of it as though every common man has heard and knows its whispers, but nobody has ever produced a solid reference or a link to this great tome.

If anybody knows the whereabouts of this legendary artifact, would you be so kind as to hand me a Staff of Ra that will point me to its hidden burial?

Thanks!

J

The original was for the Aeroworx FS9 BE20. I don't know of a specific C90 (BE9L) guide.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I found a B200 tutorial in the AVSIM library by Flying_Bob, who cites the following on his title page:

Based on the layout of the C90 Tutorial by
Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Where is this tutorial? Gaugh! This is driving me mental.

UPDATE: Bloody hell. I found a copy of it under miscellaneous in the library.

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=168021

Interesting. Wonder why hed do a C90 tutorial over a 200...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I did it shortly after the C90's release, Ryan.  

Working hard on a B200 tutorial for the Flight1 B200.  The first part should be out in the next few days.

I found a copy of it under miscellaneous in the library.

I was gonna suggest that.   B)

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Wow, I feel like I've conjured the spirit of a legend :)

I'm still on the fence about the C90 vs the F1-B200 (fortunately, I always try to buy Flight 1 because of their 30-day guarantee). I like the analog "steam-powered" gauges in the C90 (tired of glass cockpit everywhere I look) and I was surprised how accurate the performance model of the C90 is. But there seem to be several "dummy" switches which have no simulated function (or it could just be me being too ignorant in this aircraft to notice). There's a lot of people who have said the B200 is unquestionably the way to go. So I dunno. I'll probably try both and return one or the other.

Any thoughts, Jedi Master? (seeings how you are writing tutorials for both)

I own both C90 and the Flight1 B200. If you want a very accurate simulation of the King Airs, you want the B200. There are several forum threads here at AVSIM that compare and contrast the Carenado products and the Flight1 B200.

Well, I am admittedly biased, since I have been so heavily involved with the development of the Flight1 B200.  I think you've hit the nail on the head in describing the differences between these two products; they are intended for somewhat different audiences.  

Both are sold through the Flight1 wrapper, I believe, so it's really a matter of personal preference.  

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

Just wanted to chip in and say a big thanks to Yoda for the great Aeroworx King Air 200 tutorial. It is one of the best written for any FS aircraft, and I still keep it as a reference!

I'm gonna be reusing it as a starting point for the Milviz King Air 350i when and if it gets released.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I ended up punting on the C90 and rolled it out of my hangar (and back into Flight 1's). The new Duke 2.0 is MUCH more in line with what I was looking for in a < 200 KIAS twin - so that will fill my "steam-powered" GA VFR twin obsession nicely (but also has the Garmin 530 WAAS capability). The Duke is also insanely fun to fly. There's just a lot more detail there for what you pay (I can't get over the cabin vibration and the dancing gauge needles). Carenado isn't a bad aircraft, but seems a bit over-priced for what it is compared to other offerings out there and is severely lacking in options and documentation; too many "placebo" switches for my taste too (I'd rather have fewer switches which do something, than too many that do nothing).

I'm evaluating the F1 KingAir to fill the automated IFR medium-range twin spot in my fleet. It's clear there's very little on this plane with placebo anything (though I do wish the cabin shades worked though, haha).

I did it shortly after the C90's release, Ryan.  

Working hard on a B200 tutorial for the Flight1 B200.  The first part should be out in the next few days.

I was gonna suggest that.   B)

I look forward to hearing about its completion.  Where will you post about it when it is finished?

It'll be up on the Flight1 Library, and probably here, as well.

It's essentially done...I have it out to a couple of guys to look it over, and once I incorporate their feedback, I'll post it.  Just a few more days!

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

The tutorial for the Flight1 B200 is done and uploaded.  Just waiting for it to show up on the server.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

The tutorial for the Flight1 B200 is done and uploaded.  Just waiting for it to show up on the server.

I'll keep looking.  I don't see it yet.  If you know where it is, maybe you can put a link in here.