Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Oh My! Between the T7 & FTXG it's hard to stop!

My jaw is still dropping from using this combination.  Very hard to tear myself away from exploring whole new parts of the planet now w/ this fabulous T7 from PMDG.  The depth of this thing is extraordinary and what's really surprising is just how performance friendly it really is.   Many thanks the what has surely been tireless dedication to getting it very right w/ these two products.   Dawn, Night & Dawn flying is superb now w/ the 3D lights and the power to display them well.  Just keeps getting better!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

My jaw is still dropping from using this combination.  Very hard to tear myself away from exploring whole new parts of the planet now w/ this fabulous T7 from PMDG.  The depth of this thing is extraordinary and what's really surprising is just how performance friendly it really is.   Many thanks the what has surely been tireless dedication to getting it very right w/ these two products.   Dawn, Night & Dawn flying is superb now w/ the 3D lights and the power to display them well.  Just keeps getting better!

what airports have you visited with your T7 and what approaches have been the standout for you so far?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

what airports have you visited with your T7 and what approaches have been the standout for you so far?

Not enough!

You know I've just been learning the T7 enough to get around so have stayed in the USA only so far.  Right now I'm OTW from VABB>OMDB which will be a first as I've only stayed in my hemisphere.  I only did my first cold n dark earlier this evening when I hosed my startup panel state so was forced to actually...learn something...!

Despite the fact I've been at it for well over a decade I still don't follow plans using STARS & SIDS and still use the default ATC.  I generally start a session w/ engines running ready to configure the FMC for taxi.  I enjoy GSX as well though for my first attempt at the T7 w/ GSX GSX would not operate correctly.  I need to install the latest version I know that has some enhancements for the T7's high cargo bay doors I think.   Do you have some favorite approaches for the T7?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Not enough!

You know I've just been learning the T7 enough to get around so have stayed in the USA only so far.  Right now I'm OTW from VABB>OMDB which will be a first as I've only stayed in my hemisphere.  I only did my first cold n dark earlier this evening when I hosed my startup panel state so was forced to actually...learn something...!

Despite the fact I've been at it for well over a decade I still don't follow plans using STARS & SIDS and still use the default ATC.  I generally start a session w/ engines running ready to configure the FMC for taxi.  I enjoy GSX as well though for my first attempt at the T7 w/ GSX GSX would not operate correctly.  I need to install the latest version I know that has some enhancements for the T7's high cargo bay doors I think.   Do you have some favorite approaches for the T7?

Nothing wrong with that! I flew the NGX 3 months no plans and  just ATC default. I could land it blind folded from 200ft in any weather  :lol:  But now of course I do things "proper"  ILS and all...

ZORAN

But now of course I do things "proper"  ILS and all...

Well I do everything but SIDS/STARS in my flight plans.  I am amazing at how detailed this plane is.  Very cool!

Noel

Despite the fact I've been at it for well over a decade I still don't follow plans using STARS & SIDS and still use the default ATC.

Noel, tut tut! :(  Take a tip and invest in Radar Contact. It will add so much realism to your flights. Other packages are available of course.

Adding SIDs and STARs should also be mandatory if you want to emulate how real world airlines operate. I shall refrain from commenting on you starting your flights with the engines already running. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Or Vatsim

I haven't used the T7 much at all I'm I'm honest. I'm waiting for FS2Crew.

The F1 King Air and A2A 172 have kept me entertained.

What I find awsome is taking the T7 in and out of FlyTampa's Kai Tak via the IGS13 - simply fantastic!!!

Noel, tut tut! :(  Take a tip and invest in Radar Contact. It will add so much realism to your flights. Other packages are available of course.

Adding SIDs and STARs should also be mandatory if you want to emulate how real world airlines operate. I shall refrain from commenting on you starting your flights with the engines already running. :wink:

Well, I'm not fooling anyone Ray I just have fun it with even if emulating real world pilots is not done w/ exquisite accuracy.  OTOH, here's what PMDG had to say on this very topic:

...real life 777 line pilots almost never encounter an aircraft that is fully cold and dark. In the real world these airplanes are in the air nearly 24 hours a day and only sit on the ground at the gate between flights for an hour or two. The plane is kept powered and basically ready to go aside from programming the FMC and starting the engines.

So hey, I'm a little more real-world that we thought!  I agree though--it's good to at least know how to get yourself up and running!

Thanks for the tip on RC Ray.  I actually bought I think it was version's 2 & 3 however really didn't care for the concatenation method they use to string speech together as it sound too unnatural plus as I recall back then you had to create what amounts to a separate plan or a duplicate parallel plan the the program would operate off of.  Maybe that's changed now if there is a new version.   As incomplete content wise as default ATC is at least is sounds fluid and is fully integrated w/ your plan.   You mention 'other packages'--examples that you believe might be decent?  

Did you get your new box ordered Ray?  It's awesome to have a machine that can run this now!

Noel

Thanks for the tip on RC Ray. I actually bought I think it was version's 2 & 3 however really didn't care for the concatenation method they use to string speech together as it sound too unnatural plus as I recall back then you had to create what amounts to a separate plan or a duplicate parallel plan the the program would operate off of. Maybe that's changed now if there is a new version. As incomplete content wise as default ATC is at least is sounds fluid and is fully integrated w/ your plan. You mention 'other packages'--examples that you believe might be decent?

Download the 'Meatwater' sound pack files from the Avsim library.  He created custom sound files for Radar Contact and they are much faster and more fluid.  As a real world pilot, they are what I use and I haven't found anything better.

You still have to load the flight plan you are going to fly in FS so that RC knows where you will be flying.  It isn't difficult to upload it into RC, as it uses the default FSX flight plan format file save and every flight planner exports into that format.

Well, I'm not fooling anyone Ray I just have fun it with even if emulating real world pilots is not done w/ exquisite accuracy. OTOH, here's what PMDG had to say on this very topic:

...real life 777 line pilots almost never encounter an aircraft that is fully cold and dark. In the real world these airplanes are in the air nearly 24 hours a day and only sit on the ground at the gate between flights for an hour or two. The plane is kept powered and basically ready to go aside from programming the FMC and starting the engines.

Noel, there's having fun and there's having serious fun. :wink:  By all means keep ground power running if that shortens your workload but programming the CDU and starting engines should always be performed by the crew.

Thanks for the tip on RC Ray. I actually bought I think it was version's 2 & 3 however really didn't care for the concatenation method they use to string speech together as it sound too unnatural plus as I recall back then you had to create what amounts to a separate plan or a duplicate parallel plan the the program would operate off of. Maybe that's changed now if there is a new version. As incomplete content wise as default ATC is at least is sounds fluid and is fully integrated w/ your plan. You mention 'other packages'--examples that you believe might be decent?

v2 and v3 used adventure files. v4 uses FS plans. Assuming you use a 3rd party flight planning tool to create the plan for your CDU there will usually be an option to output a FSX compatible plan. Just create one of those at the same time and load it into RC4. Voice fluidity is a personal thing but what would you rather have? Perfect fluid voices issuing garbage instructions or slightly less than perfect voices issuing sensible instructions? Other packages? Well as a former team member of RC4 you wouldn't expect me to recommend alternatives that I haven't tried myself. And as I haven't tried any I'll leave that for others to mention.

Did you get your new box ordered Ray? It's awesome to have a machine that can run this now!

Yes, ordered last Tuesday but the build won't start until 15th Oct due to busy schedules. I'm currently in a dilemma over GEX or Orbx FSGX. Just finding it very hard to come to a decision. :huh:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Voice fluidity is a personal thing but what would you rather have? Perfect fluid voices issuing garbage instructions or slightly less than perfect voices issuing sensible instructions?

As I say I had RC previously and used it for years.  After while it wasn't worth the hassle nor the poor audio to me or obviously I would still be using it.  Everyone here has their own agenda for using a flight simulator product.  I'm perfectly ok w/ my level of 'authentic use' of flight simulation.  I think there are a few folks here who really believe they are somehow superior to others because they've decided to try to replicate reality in the simulator to more accurate level.  May they feel better about themselves for doing so.  My ego is fed by my work, being a good parent and spouse, playing music, and a few other things.  Flight simulation for me is really just a pleasant (albeit very, since FTXG & T7!) diversion from reality.  There are RW pilots, there are gamer/simulator pilots (that would be, happily, me and I'm sure a few others), and there are those who do some of both, and there are some who are only simulator pilots but think they're real world pilots because they adhere to more accurate replication of RW actions.  Quite frankly, the last set is the one I'm least interested in being part of as you may have noticed!

All this aside, the new voice packs may make RC worth taking a look at again.  The other issue I have to consider though is that my pattern of use, and I'm sure I"m not alone here, is to set the flight up which takes considerable time in the T7 even when you are using a SHORT panel state startup, which I am using.  After I'm at altitude I pretty much leave the computer, turn off the monitor, and set a time reminder for me to return to prep for the descent.  The default ATC, I fairly recently discovered, will let me retain the ATC as active simply by not tuning to the current CONTACT frequency.  This way when I'm 120 miles out from my destination can resume ATC.  Yes, default ATC is primarily only ambience, but I'm OK with that ;o)

I'm currently in a dilemma over GEX or Orbx FSGX.

I never used other GEX components beyond that covering the USA.  The 3D lights in FTXG, since I always fly dawn/dusk/night, are incredibly superior to UTX's which I didn't care for at all so never used them.  I guess there are separate 3D lights packages too.  Plus, the Hybrid mode feature since I have some regional scenery from FTX made it a no brainer for me.

Just finding it very hard to come to a decision.

Sounds like you placed the order, but I guess can change it if need be because of the delay?  Any modern PC w/ components commonly used here will work perfectly fine, w/ only insignificant differences in the domain of things you may be indecisive on.  

I am ultra pleased w/ my assembly.  Very happy to NOT have any water leak risk either, and I have your countryman Martin to thank for that who had me comparing the D14 air cooler against the Corsair water kits which I was going to use initially.   I read enough testimonies from folks who had experienced water leaks that I didn't want any part of that, especially for comparable performance.   It's uncommon I know, but no thanks it's a completely unnecessary risk.  The case I bought is stellar too--ideal for air cooling as huge intake fan sucks air right into my pricey Titan card.  I have wonderful temps for all components.  The big hot hexacore SB-E chip core temp is only in the mid to high 50's C while flying at 4.4GHz.  And the Titan stays in the mid 70's which for that behemoth is good 'nuf.  If I need more my A/C unit supplies the cold intake air--only necessary during heat waves here, and even then it's not really necessary.

Noel

Okay Noel, I won't labour the point about realistic air traffic control versus the pretty dreadful one supplied in FSX. Each to their own but suffice to say you can hand over comms to 'Otto' in RC4 so it's not necessary to manually ack each command. And there's an option that allows you to pause FS x miles out from your destination. Both those are essential for long distance flights.

I'm looking at a global solution rather than a single continent. That favours FSX Global plus I'm sort of warming to the look of the ground compared to GEX. Most of my flying will be in daylight so I'll base any decision on appearance in daylight.

No concerns about my components. I was referring to GEX vs FSX Global. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm looking at a global solution rather than a single continent. That favours FSX Global plus I'm sort of warming to the look of the ground compared to GEX. Most of my flying will be in daylight so I'll base any decision on appearance in daylight.

Boy I go back an forth comparing FTXG versus GEX US for daytime textures.  I think the textures were superior generally in GEX quite frankly.  But as a dim-light flyer and someone who wanted the whole planet in one easy package I can deal w/ the textures I'm seeing in several parts of the US so far.   The 3D lights though are gorgeous--it is hard to compare setting up and flying out of anywhere at dusk or dawn, especially w/ some lovely sky colors and clouds.  Plus again the hybrid feature works well.  I have the PNW, CRM & NRM, and Australia Blue/Gold/Green installed so it's nice for that.   What I'm hangin' on for is California North & South, where I live.  I'm sure they'll get it right.  I did pick up FTX England but never installed it in the new build as I just didn't use it much.  Perhaps when I go to visit the UK I hope next year I'll have something more to relate to.  

Ray, I'm thinking the performance penalty is negligible for RC, yes?  Might be worth another look w/ the 'Meatwater' sounds.  

Download the 'Meatwater' sound pack files from the Avsim library.  He created custom sound files for Radar Contact and they are much faster and more fluid.  As a real world pilot, they are what I use and I haven't found anything better.

That's a solid testimony thanks for that!

Noel