Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

Real Air Duke v2.0 Released

This could possibly just be my imagination, but I think the plane flares and lands much more realistically, and more like one would expect of a general aviation twin than in version 1.5.  It's feels more natural than before to gradually pull the nose back and hold it off as the speed decays to touchdown speed.  In the Version 1,  I had a propensity to plunk it down too hard and too early, especially if I had been away from it for a while. I do hope that some of these flight model improvements find their way into the Turbine at some point.

I was about to ask about that landing strut problem... I also had... After all, the problem was rather in me, for not reading the Manuals!!!!

I believe any copmplex aircraft, and they are becoming mor and more complex in FSX, is entitled to that clickspot quirk. I never experienced it in the PMDGs (NGX and 777), didn't happen with this superb Duke v2, and happened only once with the A2A  C172 (can't really figure why... but I have long been using the CTRL-SHIFT-R for Reload....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I am really pleased with this upgrade. The B60 has always been at the front of my hangar, and when I fly her, she never leaves me without a smile on my face. In fact, she actually gives me butterflies in my stomach once I know I'm going to be flying! Yesterday I took her flying in Norway for the first time and straight away I was aware that things were different. One of the noticeable differences that made me happy was the thump of the landing gear retracting along with the vibration as it does so. I don't remember this effect on V1, but only on the legacy, I may be mistaken, anyhow, a really nice touch. The handling definitely seems smoother and some of the graphics are better. However, the biggest difference I noticed, and this alone made the upgrade worthwhile for me, was the interior VC data being kept in the cache while in an exterior view, which is great, because I always hate that delay in texture loading when returning to the VC after switching from an external view, very nice. I'm now looking forward to digesting more of the manual, now that my excitement has calmed down a little :biggrin:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

This is a superb version of the piston duke. V2 is superb in so many ways, extremely glad I purchased it.

Someone asked about click spots disappearing? Hasn't ever happened to me in any aircraft.

At first I was not even that overwhelmed by the upgrades...but that changed after the second look. I had only a few minutes time for the first flight and it felt pretty much like the old version (=enjoyable) with everything looking somehow a bit better.

Then the evening came and I had time for a better look.

Some of the new liveries suit the Duke very well and she appears more "up-to-date" with them. Lots of small details like the dirt on the carpets and the windows or the little scratches on the surfaces give her a way more used and realistic look. Also she finally got some worthy leather seats (the old ones looked liked they were stolen out of an 80's overland bus imho. :lol: )

A while ago because of similar better details the T-Duke almost killed the piston version for me when she came out.  When I switched between the planes the piston suddenly looked way to clean, steril and liefeless in comparison. This time it looks like it might turn out to be the other way around for the same reasons.

But the most important factor for me is that:

I was descending into a small valley to make a landing on a little airfield. I was not in a good position yet and already very near to the runway. I was high and fast so I extended the gear to lose some extra speed. The plane started shaking and I could "hear" how the wind flow around the plane changed. I extended the flaps and again I could "feel" and hear the results. I forced the plane into a steep turn and this time the whole fuselage screamed in protest. I made a hard landing, my head got heavily pushed up and down and the plane stopped at the end of the runway with squeaking brakes.

You get feedback and this makes this plane feel very realistic and "alive".

The RA Dukes have always been some of my most flown addons. Now the V 2.0 is even better and state of the art when it comes to optics and technique.

Imho totally worth it.

• Upvote 1

Guest tymk

Ever since I purchased the Legacy last year, I've been trying to convince myself that the Duke is too complex for me (I mainly fly single-engine pistons), I wouldn't have time for longer flights, etc. I'm actually surprised I'd been able to hold out for so long, but I finally caved in on Monday with the release of the V2...

My flying time is very limited this week, so I've only been able to set up my controllers, cameras, etc. plus do a full preflight, engine start, run-up, and shutdown. Those engine sounds! :Big Grin: Well, if that was so much fun, I can only imagine what it'll be like to take her for a proper spin. Beautiful work!

If Robert is still monitoring this thread, I'd just like to ask two loosely related questions:

1. Are you planning to patch the turn coordinator in the Legacy (I'm one of the users who pestered you by e-mail about that :wink:)?
  2. In another thread, you hinted that you might consider updating the Scout package at some point. Have you given it any more thought? I'm sure I'm not the only user who'd gladly pay for Scout V2.

Thanks!

Tym

Out flying early this morning.  I ran the Red repaint thru the quickie local paint shop and darkened in up a little. Almost burgundy now.

Ray

Red_dk_zps1b696ed6.jpg

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

This is a superb version of the piston duke. V2 is superb in so many ways, extremely glad I purchased it.

Someone asked about click spots disappearing? Hasn't ever happened to me in any aircraft.

Me neither... I wonder what the commonality is between users who have the issue?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Me neither... I wonder what the commonality is between users who have the issue?

First plane to do it to me. I have EZCA. Might have something to do with it.

I have EZCA...no issue here. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I've looked at it, and it appears that that you just put the path to the preferred panel texture folder at the top of the texture.cfg file inside your main external paint sub-directory. 

Thanks, that worked.

Dale

Dale

Is this 2.0 version P3D compatible?

For me I have to run In P3D Legacy mode with the Estonia migration tool active to get all the fantastic effects of the V2 Duke

I did some compares...  disregard the misaligned nose stripes....this was a test version

More

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

As I've noted, I really like the plane.  The Duke has long been one of my favorites, and version 2 is even better.  One of the small things I'm not so thrilled about however, is that Real Air has apparently tuned it's flight model around somewhat specific settings for the Realism sliders for Torque and P-factor.  With every plane I've had in FSX, I've always had all of these sliders full to the right, 100%, and so I somewhat assumed that this was a design convention among developers.  I'm not particularly fond of Real Air's decision to design it's flight model around something different because I think that means that now I'll have to change these every time I fly to get the precise behaviors that Real Air intended, and then change them back again for almost every other propeller plane.   For example, I'll bet the Milviz Cessna or any plane by A2A requires those sliders to be at 100%.   Am I correct in assuming that by having my sliders for Torque and P-factor farther to the right than Real Air recommends that I'm therefore experiencing more Torque and P-factor than is intended to be experienced, or am I misinterpreting how those sliders work?

If you turn your volume up high you might here a slight noise caused by the rolling sound effect. The problem with the default FSX parameters controlling this is that if you turn it down too much, or adjust the low speed volume down below a certain point, even when you go faster the sound take ages to kick in when you need it. Also other sounds like the wind effect react even if you are still but there is a cross or head wind. These kind of effects have very coarse and rough adjustments. They tend to be far too quiet at the lower end, so you try to boost them a bit and the result is that they can actually sound present even when there is no motion, even though you set the params to be zero volume below say five knots. I really don't think it is a serious issue or deal breaker. Sometimes people seem to look for faults in the absence of any obvious ones.

No need to get defensive there mate. I build and run commercial level flight simulation facilities in California, and people often ask me what I recommended for home simulation setups, software, hardware, addons, etc., and your products , A2A, and PMDG always get first mention.

There wasn't one iota of defensiveness in Rob's reply IMHO.   If you meant the part that I've bolded, well he's right.... dead right.

You seem to think that you people who want to nit-pick are entitled to do so, but those that challenge your nit-picking or give an opinion that the product is really great and doesn't warrant the nitpicking, aren't allowed a voice......... :rolleyes:

I have bought this product too ........... and it is faultless;   no broken rudder, where some users values are suddenly better than RealAir's proven values, no 'bits of the windshield that don't look right compared to a fish eye lense YouTube video', nothing.

If you love high quality flight sim, people, just buy this            - the usual nit pickers would nit pick if they were delivered with a real Duke to their home addess........ seriously they would.. :smile:

@ Ryan - beautiful pics!

• Upvote 1