Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

Real Air Duke v2.0 Released

Don't worry, lads. It isn't just PT6A turbines that turn me on :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes it is absolutely amazing.  The sounds are indeed awesome although interestingly, that idle sound (chuga chuga chuga chuga :lol:) is the single only thing in the whole package that I'm not keen on. To me, it always sounded like it was an exterior idle sound; you know, no real muffling or deadening effect.   In fact I replaced it with a superb sound that I downloaded from the AVSIM file library (that I also used with the B60 v1), from a IO-550 (yeah I know, wrong engine! .... but I just prefer the idle sound from this particular sound set).

Landings feel so alive with this lovely bird.   And the window and gauge reflections are just right. :cool:

Not to forget, RealAir has superb customer support...

I made a purchase mistake and they made it good even though it was My Bad!!!

Nothing but KUDOS all around for these guys..

Piicked up Ver 2.0 and loving the Duke Again, wasn't very fond of the Turbine version at launch, so I shelved her. Where is this 172 I hear they are working on?

Yup I agree. UK is now the rip off tax leader in Europe, and also epicenter of bank, corporate, utilitiy and other rip offs. Sorry for off topic.

I guess you've never lived in Ireland...  :P

I'm with Dougal.  Orgasmic whine, eh? Somehow that sends my thoughts to places that have little to do with Mssrs. Pratt and Whitney. :lol:

Ribbing aside, I think one of the strongest features of the new plane are its sounds.  I almost hate to stop taxiing and get airborne, as I love to listen to the loping sound of the big pistons when near idle (though in this regard, the old version also excelled), but with all of the other little noises and thumps and subtleties...  It's a sonic delight (just not quite, O, y'know...).

Comparisons between the Piston and Turbine Duke are inevitable, but I've always viewed them as very different planes, the extremely obvious similarities aside.  I like 'em both - each for different reasons - but right now it's a bit hard to fly anything but the B60 with the new enhancements.  It's massively immersive and it's just plain (plane!) fun to fly.

Scott

That's what we want Scott....for users to get fun out of flying, and to feel immersed, and to find form and function pleasurable to use. 

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Guest tymk

That's what we want Scott....for users to get fun out of flying, and to feel immersed, and to find form and function pleasurable to use.

I've finally been able to take the Duke V2 for a quick spin, including a practice engine-out landing, and I have to say you've done it yet again :Big Grin:.

I know you're not eager to discuss future plans/releases, but is there any way I could coax you into shedding some light on the stuff I asked in post #231 (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422397-real-air-duke-v20-released/page-10#entry2815964)? :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Tym

Personally, I think about the only thing that would make this plane feel more realistic is to get a ButtKicker.  I love the way you can actually taxi it...doesn't slide like other FSX aircraft, love the sounds it makes when you make a tight turn, the prop animations when you feather the prop, the whine of the flaps going up and down, the bump you get when the gear goes up and down.  Oh yeah, and the True Airspeed knob on the airspeed indicator.  With all this your mind thinks less about simming and more about flying...you get the sense of taking the family on a weekend trip or flying small cargo here and there.  After shutdown I feel like whipping out my old paper logbook and just making my entries in the quiet.  I've already flown it from Virginia to Maine, to Illinois, Nebraska and down to Kansas.  A great plane to learn all the nuance of flying a piston twin...and that's what it's all about. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Speaking of Pt6a engines... I am sad that Flight1 have not re-done their amazing Pilatus PC-12. Real Air, would you consider doing this? You don't even have to do the NG version. Oh how I would love this model with todays high quality

• Upvote 1

Absolutely!

A Realair PC-12 wovld be phenomenal

Only thing I'm a tad confused about in the B60 V2 is that you still get a landing thump sound even with a super smooth greaser.

Hey Rob & Sean...  I bet you never expecting advertising of the orgasmic kind;-)))

I gotta say though, this really is an absolute beauty!

Absolutely!

A Realair PC-12 wovld be phenomenal

Only thing I'm a tad confused about in the B60 V2 is that you still get a landing thump sound even with a super smooth greaser.

Martin,

I respectfully suggest you keep making those 'greaser' touchdowns. You may want to recheck your Realism sliders also. My experience with v2 is just the opposite, I have to make a real effort to get a thud or thump at touchdown.

Rob discussed exactly this subject a few pages earlier in this thread.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Just wanted to give another clue on the loss of clickspot issue some folks were having.  I did have a problem where I kept losing my clickspots when I was entering my flightplan in the RealityXP GNS.  Reseting the airplane fixed it but then it would happen again, usually when I pressed the Ent button.  I restarted FSX and the problem stopped happening.  If I get more info I'll post it.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Martin,

I respectfully suggest you keep making those 'greaser' touchdowns. You may want to recheck your Realism sliders also. My experience with v2 is just the opposite, I have to make a real effort to get a thud or thump at touchdown.

Rob discussed exactly this subject a few pages earlier in this thread.

Ray

Please see my post on this other thread.......http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422861-duke-b60-v2-greaser/

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

There are details that probably will escape from most of us who didn't read the manual...

I particularly appreciate the incredible detail of the movement on control surfaces when we use the trims, and the fact that the surfaces actually move as speed builds up, or on ground, stopped, if the relative wind is strong enough, but stay still, only the trim tabs moving if there is no relative wind! Whow!  And I used to point the effect on DCS World as unique, and it only happens there with the aileron trim... In this FSX add-on, I believe everything, from flight dynamics and ground physics to the modeling of the engines, pressurization, etc... to the limits!!!

And of course, the revised turn-coordinator code, allowing for perfect std rate turns is one think I have always asked for :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...