Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

Real Air Duke v2.0 Released

Rob asked me to comment on the inverter switch -

With the inverter switch, there is no glitch or bug here - the B60 operating manual that I have states that the AP and  vacuum pumps (required for the attitude indicator) are powered by AC current, which is why they don’t operate when the inverter switch is off.

When it comes to being able to change AP settings when the inverter switch is off – the long and short of this is the limited events available in FSX for controlling the AP means you can’t completely turn off the AP, except by turning off the master battery or avionics switches. So to make the inverter switch function as closely as possible to real life I wrote some code that turns the AP screen off when the inverter switch is off. I’m sure you could create some complex code to make it impossible to change AP settings when the inverter switch is off but firstly, I didn’t expect anyone to be making changes to the AP while it was off, and secondly simpler code is always better if at all possible - it uses less system resources and has less chance of causing problems down the track especially with Multiplayer and shared cockpit.

Regarding Mindstar GNS integration, we'll consider this only if it becomes a popular choice in the sim community, it would be unwise of us to devote large amounts of development time to something that is only used by a very small portion of our customers. As Rob and other have already stated, at the moment it hasn't even been released so it is far too early for us to make a call on this.

Sean.
  • Upvote 1

Rob asked me to comment on the inverter switch -

With the inverter switch, there is no glitch or bug here - the B60 operating manual that I have states that the AP and  vacuum pumps (required for the attitude indicator) are powered by AC current, which is why they don’t operate when the inverter switch is off.

When it comes to being able to change AP settings when the inverter switch is off – the long and short of this is the limited events available in FSX for controlling the AP means you can’t completely turn off the AP, except by turning off the master battery or avionics switches. So to make the inverter switch function as closely as possible to real life I wrote some code that turns the AP screen off when the inverter switch is off. I’m sure you could create some complex code to make it impossible to change AP settings when the inverter switch is off but firstly, I didn’t expect anyone to be making changes to the AP while it was off, and secondly simpler code is always better if at all possible - it uses less system resources and has less chance of causing problems down the track especially with Multiplayer and shared cockpit.

Regarding Mindstar GNS integration, we'll consider this only if it becomes a popular choice in the sim community, it would be unwise of us to devote large amounts of development time to something that is only used by a very small portion of our customers. As Rob and other have already stated, at the moment it hasn't even been released so it is far too early for us to make a call on this.

Sean.

thx for the clarification.

don't press the ap buttons while the display is off, I can live with that :)

I hope the mindstar gps panels becomes really popular and I hope the integration isn't that hard.

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

Rob, Sean. Both panel options are a little too bright imo at night. Can there be a gauge only backlighting option? If not, can you make the panel texture a little darker, the grey panel really lights up at night ruining night vision flying.

This could be a chicken or the egg argument, mindstar wont be popular as long as no big developer works with them to integrate their panels.

Was thinking about that Yesterday. Mindstar on its own will be adopted, but not as quicky as if developers work together to integrate those GNS´s to their panels.

Rob, Sean. Both panel options are a little too bright imo at night. Can there be a gauge only backlighting option? If not, can you make the panel texture a little darker, the grey panel really lights up at night ruining night vision flying.

Some other customers say the opposite. It's impossible to please everyone. Some say the cabin lighting is set too far back and is too dim. Others say it is too bright at night. Some want gauge only lighting. Most are happy the way it is. We can't change it just for one person. Sorry.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Well that's why every other airplane gives you options. To please everyone. A switch for a dome light. A switch for a gauge backlight.

Does anyone else have a problem with their engines if they accidentally click the left mouse button while starting? My left engine is in perpetual motion, spinning continuously because while pressing the right mouse button to move the starter to start, I clicked the left mouse button. Now no matter what I do, the engines just keeps spinning around and wont start.

Well that's why every other airplane gives you options. To please everyone. A switch for a dome light. A switch for a gauge backlight.

Does anyone else have a problem with their engines if they accidentally click the left mouse button while starting? My left engine is in perpetual motion, spinning continuously because while pressing the right mouse button to move the starter to start, I clicked the left mouse button. Now no matter what I do, the engines just keeps spinning around and wont start.

There are probably more options for the Duke than most aircraft (see the config panel!). You do have two switches for the cabin and panel lights. The gauge backlight is combined with the panel face light so as to offer the best conditions to cope with the very varied amount of ambient light in FSX. If you look at the screen reflections you'll see that they are quite subtle, and we do not think they disturb vision at night, and probably less so than actual aircraft I have flown.

If you disturbed the start up with an accidental key press, it confuses the start up routine. Routines like this have to be coded in a linear, step by step pattern and FSX is limited in the way you can interfere with that routine once it starts. You can however clear this instantly by doing a quick reload of the Duke - ie assign a key to "Aircraft(reload)".

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Ok, thanks for the info. Last little issue. It seems the sounds never shut off. I start cold and dark yet I can hear cockpit sounds like the battery.

Best thing is to email us at support.

Hey Gang,

Is it just me or have you folks noticed that the RXP GNS units load almost instantly in the v2 Duke but still take zzzzzzzzzz their own sweet time to load in most everything else.  I mean we still have to click them twice and acknowledge the Message but the units are ready for the clicks with no waiting.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Will realair integrate the Mindstar gps into the vc model of the duke v2?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Will realair integrate the Mindstar gps into the vc model of the duke v2?

Is there a Mindstar GPS to integrate into any add on?  I heard they changed their mind about having a 430/530 and are just going to stick with their G1000.  Their release date has already come and went.

Regards,

Ray

• Upvote 1

Is there a Mindstar GPS to integrate into any add on? I heard they changed their mind about having a 430/530 and are just going to stick with their G1000. Their release date has already come and went.

Regards,

Ray

Yes there will be a GNS...it'll be ready when it's ready that's all

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yes there will be a GNS...it'll be ready when it's ready that's all

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

That would be good news.  Competition is usually good for the game.

Regards,

Ray