Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

Real Air Duke v2.0 Released

Ive got both, Turbine and B60, enjoy the subtle differences between them... a graphic upgrade to the Turbine would be great!

I have to say that as a general observation (not specific to this airplane) I don't really understand the desire for service based failures. Misuse failures, sure. In fact, I wish there were a way for hard landings to collapse gear or blow tires. But service based failures? The whole point of service and pre-flight checks is so NO problems occur. As a RW pilot, I guess I'm just too programmed to work very hard to avoid any failure of any kind to want that in the sim. And the failures I have experienced, from poor service, weren't fun!!

In fact, I find I don't really appreciate the modeling of pre-flight procedures such as in the A2A C172 or the Katana. It's not very realistic, and it feels like a simulation of aircraft ownership, rather than flying. As someone who has owned airplanes, I found the ownership aspects tedious, expensive, and anxiety inducing. I loved the flying part. That's the part I want to simulate.

But I can see the appeal for anyone who hasn't had that experience. Adds immersion, I suppose. Still, the desire for service failures on simulated aircraft you can't really service escapes me. Want to add a little excitement to your simulated flying? Do what I do...fly under bridges! Always wanted to do that in real life! :-)

The reason is pretty simple - yes, it adds immersion, I will never own my own aircraft and I want the payware aircraft to simulate this for me. Before I turned service based failures on in my NGX I wasn't looking with that attention to EGT when I was starting the engines or I didn't care that much about any warnings that came up due to wrong operations. After turning them on my way of thinking about it has changed. And I learned lot of extra procedures, I even read whole QRH even though I didn't have to deal with any failures yet - but I wanted to be prepared. So for me it really adds something. Same question You can ask people who fly FSPassengersX - why do they want to deal with moaning passengers if they don't have to? Immersion and extra reason to fly. It is important considering the fact that FSX is not real flying and is not as great. 

I agree with your point. I think sophisticated GPS systems can actually detract from basic piloting skills when exclusively relied upon and another poster further up the thread complained that with his virtual airline he said he lacked the function of performing a diversion without a sophisticated GSP, which of course is not at all the case. Perhaps I'm a bit old fashioned here, but I remember I did my first triangular cross country over London to a rural airfield north of the capital, and I did it in sight of a huge 747 on approach to Heathrow over or near tower bridge which, if memory serves well, was the dividing point between VFR flights and IFR approaches.

I didn't even have a radio ( this was permissable then) and circled the destination airfield looking for the traditional airfield status signs embedded near the control tower for circuit direction etc. Now this does sound extremely old fashioned by today's standards, and I'm not suggesting we go back to that. However a typical hire GA aircraft, or syndicate owned GA machine even nowadays does not always have state of the art avionics. It worries me that sim pilots are becoming more interested in computer navigation than basic navigation skills to the point where they feel naked with what are actually extremely good basic instruments.

We fully support RXP GNS gauge users in the best way we possibly can, by very thoroughly integrating them into our aircraft. That's the best we can do until alternatives are not just discussed but actually RELEASED and we have a generous amount of time to test, assess and work with them. These packages are not cheap to produce. However the default GPS, in tandem with the standard VOR receivers in the Duke and other RealAIr aircraft, are perfectly capable of helping any pilot navigate over the entire world with not the slightest problem.

It is not that other devices are cheating. They are useful and sometimes add to safety. But safety statistics don't always entirely support that notion. There is no substitute for awareness and basic flying skills and that is what the core of all our products is designed to promote. For that reason we emphasise PILOTING skills. Flight simulator is a PILOT sim, not an aircraft servicing sim. It is not a engineering sim, or a mechanic sim. Of course there is nothing wrong with adding these elements if they do not replace the qualities of the core product. But there is only so much time and available budget. We have always concentrated on two main aspects and our customers tell us we do it quite well:

1) To deliver an addon that is above all flyable manually, is reasonably believable in its reaction to aerodynamic forces within FS limitations and is also a pleasure to handle, as well as perform reliably on autopilot.

2) To present crystal clear panels and gauges which run extremely smoothly so that they approach the maximum realism possible, and to provide solid, realiable, readable IFR gauges by which any pilot in any circumstances could navigate the world over.

Any addon in the price bracket users routinely demand nowadays cannot be produced with every possible new gizmo without compromises being made in other areas. Our priority has always been to provide a LASTING design, not a here today, gone tomorrow product. Some of our aircraft are still in popular use more than TEN years after they were released. We think that provides very good value for the outlay!

Hmmmmm, So could you provide an option to remove the GPS too?

That way we could go back to the old days of navigation from time to time!

Personally, I find nothing wrong with using the RXP gauges. I understand not getting hung up on them. But they bring a lot to the table and add a lot to creating a realistic simulation ! Price wise I don't think purchase of the Duke and or a RXP530 (that can be used in other craft) is unheard of.

I have decided not to purchase any GA aircraft that does not support RXP.

Luckily RealAir has followed suite.

B.

P.S. I would agree that the RealAir flight instruments are very smooth and easy to read!

Hmmmmm, So could you provide an option to remove the GPS too?

That way we could go back to the old days of navigation from time to time!

Personally, I find nothing wrong with using the RXP gauges. I understand not getting hung up on them. But they bring a lot to the table and add a lot to creating a realistic simulation ! Price wise I don't think purchase of the Duke and or a RXP530 (that can be used in other craft) is unheard of.

I have decided not to purchase any GA aircraft that does not support RXP.

Luckily RealAir has followed suite.

B.

P.S. I would agree that the RealAir flight instruments are very smooth and easy to read!

If my memory is correct every model GPS that I have installed in my FSX aircraft have an ON / Off switch. Maybe you could try flying with the GPS powered off.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

If my memory is correct every model GPS that I have installed in my FSX aircraft have an ON / Off switch. Maybe you could try flying with the GPS powered off.

Regards,

Ray[/

If I wanted to fly with the GPS shut off, why would I ask them if they could have an option to uninstall the GPS.... ? Not really what I was looking for.

Myself and the person who suggested it before me would like to fly the Duke as it originally came from the factory.

A2A didn't mind producing this in their C172 !

The thread has gone from wanting a top shelf GPS unit standard to having it removed altogether.

For those that dont want it you can permanently disable it by going into the panel.cfg and changing GPS=1 to =0

ZORAN

I've never understood the logic of people who don't want a GPS in their panel.  No one is watching over you - either don't look at it, change it to a non navigation page, or turn it off!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I agree with Ryan.  It's almost impossible to find a real B60 without even a basic GPS nowadays.  If you look at the Dukes that are for sale right now, every one of them has a GPS.  It's kind of funny that everyone that has a real one couldn't wait to upgrade the avionics and yet Flight Sim pilots are the anachronism, wanting a Duke with the original avionics.  :biggrin:

Edit:  I didn't say it was a bad thing though.  :)

I've never understood the logic of people who don't want a GPS in their panel.  No one is watching over you - either don't look at it, change it to a non navigation page, or turn it off!

Neither do I - do you want eggs in your beer, or bananas yes we have no bananas. Makes no sense.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

The thread has gone from wanting a top shelf GPS unit standard to having it removed altogether.

Yes, can there be any clearer proof of how difficult to please the customer base can be!? Cracks me up. Sure glad I'm not in the addon business. Those guys have my complete sympathy.

I agree the easiest thing to do is simply turn off the GPS or flip it to an info page.  However I can understand why folks would like a pure 70s era look for a 70s era airplane.  Imagine if someone relased a Beech 18 for Ford Trimotor, but equipped it with a G1000 inside, you think some folks would be asking the developer for an option of period specific instrumentation that aircraft? B)

Personally I am quite happy with the Duke the way it is, being a point A - B type airplane, a GPS is very handy in today's modern GPS approach filled skies. 

However in trainers, warbirds, antiques..etc I think its great with the option of having a GPS or not, be it a handheld popup or whatever.  The RealAir Spit had the great option of swapping the gunsight for a CDI and vice versa :)

Just like some folks prefer a P-51 with 1940s avionics, and some prefer it with modern avionics, to each their own.

Cheers

TJ

• Upvote 1

A G1000 is far different than a 430 or 530 though.

I can understand the want for analogue gauges over glass. And in FSX glass can be very tough to read.

The Duke/Legacy/T Duke has a perfect blend of instruments either way!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

For those that dont want it you can permanently disable it by going into the panel.cfg and changing GPS=1 to =0

- I originated this thread almost 800 posts ago. It didn't go from anything to do with any GPS. I would not be surprised to see Obamacare as the next topic. I wish the thread would simply go away and someone start a fresh post relative to the topic in discussion.

- I originated this thread almost 800 posts ago. It didn't go from anything to do with any GPS. I would not be surprised to see Obamacare as the next topic. I wish the thread would simply go away and someone start a fresh post relative to the topic in discussion.

Yes, you're right, it is not permissible for the topic to drift from your original intent, so people should take care to stay on it:  The Real Air Duke 2 has been released in September, 2013 :rolleyes: