Sign in to follow this  
Les Parson

Real Air Duke v2.0 Released

Am I just landing too hard or is there a handling trick which I am missing?

I had this going on the first few times I tried the Baron, too.  In addition to recalibrating your controls as Ryan has suggested, try firing up FSX with the C172 and then switching to the Baron once you're inside the sim.  Finally, if you haven't already, take the time to set up the realism options and such as RealAir recommends.

Richard P. Kelly

Thanks Ryan

I do have ASN but I don't think wake turbulence was involved here as I was only on a small strip (Shoreham EGKA) and nothing landed ahead.

I will recalibrate and watch the speeds

I managed landings every time in the Baron and didn't experience this issue in that.

I will check the Realair realism options, but I think they are all on. Maybe I need to set crash off.

Thanks

Nigel

I think I have found the real problem here.

I tried a few touch and go's at a large airport - long wide runway.

Looking closely at the replay, the left gear sinks into the runway on touchdown!

After the aircraft as come to a stop after slewing across the runway and grass, it rights itself and then sits normally with wheels on the ground!

I will email Rob as I think this is a support issue.

Nigel

H-H,

Do I need to do that now that I have found the actual situation?

I want to be as real as possible so would like to keep those settings.

Nigel

Actually, you must enable the "Ignore crash and damage" checkbox. Otherwise the plane will sink on landing. That is related to the belly landing situation described on the manual. It's a well modeled GA aircraft, on par with the a2a c172.

Thanks for that.

It has also been pointed out (and reinforced by Rob) and I misunderstood.

I should have turned off the crash detection in FSX settings!

I thought the suggestion was just a way to avoid crashing, to get around this problem.

I will check the next time I am flying.

Nigel

P.S. It seems an odd effect that should be caused by leaving crash detection on. I'd have thought the wheels would have been prevented from disappearing below the runway by the coding.

It's to allow gear up landings... I think it's a fair tradeoff. I've always had crashes disabled (especially for online flight) - I KNOW when I crash I don't need FSX to tell me and reload the whole flight.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

OK I understand that, but doesn't the crash detection (aside from with the Duke) show when you have exceeded the aircraft limitations?

Otherwise you could land too heavily and just roll out without being affected.

It's a nuisance being bounced back to the starting position, but if one is looking for realism it's the closest one can get to a terminal event in a sim.

Anyway following Rob's advice I will disable it in FSX.

Nigel

I've been jumping between the Duke V2 and A2A 172 the past few months and always forget to change the realism settings to exactly match the devs recommendations. Something squirrelly always seems to happen. I then bang my head on the yoke and correct the situation. :lol:

Frank L.T

I never did manage to get comfortable with the sensitivity and touchiness of the rudder on the version 2 of this airplane.  I thought that I would have gotten used to it by now, but just never could get past it, and the difficulty I experience doing truly smooth turn coordination is the predominant thing I remember at the end of every flight, unfortunately.   Despite the Version 1 requiring a little steeper bank angle to do a standard rate turn, it sure did feel better to me as far as the feet on the pedals were concerned.

As far as getting strange side effects from having Crash enabled in FSX, I appear to be one of the few that never experienced anything odd as a result of that.  The plane belly lands just fine for me and does not display any errant behavior with the landing gear or anything else.

I never did manage to get comfortable with the sensitivity and touchiness of the rudder on the version 2 of this airplane.  I thought that I would have gotten used to it by now, but just never could get past it, and the difficulty I experience doing truly smooth turn coordination is the predominant thing I remember at the end of every flight, unfortunately.   Despite the Version 1 requiring a little steeper bank angle to do a standard rate turn, it sure did feel better to me as far as the feet on the pedals were concerned.

As far as getting strange side effects from having Crash enabled in FSX, I appear to be one of the few that never experienced anything odd as a result of that.  The plane belly lands just fine for me and does not display any errant behavior with the landing gear or anything else.

You can edit the aircraft cfg if you wish. If you are now finding the rudder over-strong you can slightly reduce its effect in the list of "effectiveness" values. BTW all controls tend to be easier and somewhat amplified unless the general realism slider is put at absolutely maximum, but I reckon you probably knew that already.

Thanks for that.

It has also been pointed out (and reinforced by Rob) and I misunderstood.

I should have turned off the crash detection in FSX settings!

I thought the suggestion was just a way to avoid crashing, to get around this problem.

I will check the next time I am flying.

Nigel

P.S. It seems an odd effect that should be caused by leaving crash detection on. I'd have thought the wheels would have been prevented from disappearing below the runway by the coding.

Answering both your posts about this: Crash detect in FSX is definitely not realistic! All it does is tell you that you've crashed or touched a scenery object and resets the flight. Real aircraft tend not to have a pop up notice telling you this and you cannot "reset" a flight in real aircraft! Our custom suspension (tarmac version) is very stiff in order to promote bounces when your landing is not smooth. FSX can interpret this stiff suspension as "broken" when it is not. Turning crash detect off stops this happening and also enables you to practice gear up landings. With detect on you cannot do this. You can also practice ditching into the sea or other water bodies. With crash detect on you cannot do this either.

There is an option to choose soft suspension too, and I believe this does not provoke a crash detect, so I think all options are covered. So really I think this is a non issue.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I think I was at fault introducing the question which led to the 'crash detection' sub thread. Because, though I read the manual (at least including that bit) I didn't actually change the setting.

I have yet to check and do that, but I'm sure from all the responses that I will find it so and that I will be able to land successfully next time!

Nigel

Having bought the Duke V2 a week or so ago, I can't stop flying it! One of my favourite aircraft alongside my A2A Spitfire and Cub, and PMDG 737NGX. Great feel when flying the aircraft, and love the VC quality and the beautiful gauges with their needle shake.

So to GPS and WX Radar, with twin engine GA aircraft of anywhere near this quality few and far between, I personally would be happy to pay a little extra for F1 GTN750 and ASN WX Radar add-on modules.

Not sure how other people feel about it, but to fully integrate these extra items into the Duke takes time, and I would happily pay the good people at RealAir a modest fee to upgrade the cockpit of my snazzy Duke (These upgrades don't come for free in the real world, Av techs have to fit this stuff for you after you buy it! - prob  around $1,000 or more to retrofit a GTN750 into a Duke) :P  

prob around $1,000 or more to retrofit a GTN750 into a Duke)

Hmm, bit optimistic there I think! Currently getting a 750/650 stack fitted to my real Mooney - wish the install would only cost $1000!

David Porrett