Thanks for the tips guys.

One (I think) last quesiton. Is 2GB card going to be enough to drive 3 monitors? I'm looking at the 2GB 680 GTX - Just wanting to see if I'd be wasting my time going for the 4GB version.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

KL Oo, on 15 May 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

Thanks for the tips guys.

One (I think) last quesiton. Is 2GB card going to be enough to drive 3 monitors? I'm looking at the 2GB 680 GTX - Just wanting to see if I'd be wasting my time going for the 4GB version.

I'm running four 24"s off one 2GB 670 so you should be right.

Still 4GB is not going to hurt.

Also the monitors do not have to be exactly the same,

As long as the monitors have the same resolution and physical size, you should not have any problems.

I've used various combinations of a Dell 2405, 2407, 2412 and an Acer 24 in Surround ok.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

This topic contains a lot of good information about setting up multiple monitors so I'm going to pinned this at the top.  If anyone has good information on setting up 3 or more monitors that will be useful to our members, please post it here.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Jim Young

AVSIM Forum Monitor

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Two monitors aswell please Jim as there are a lot of widescreen monitors hitting the market which are 29inches across so two would be 58 which is a good size. Just how to hook them up and what are the best ones. Regards Wayne.

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Just to follow up this thread - how much Video RAM is recommended for a 3 Monitor setup?

Still needing to decide between the 770 and 780. The 770 being essentially a 680 with a bit more grunt has 2GB whereas the 780 has three.

Is three required for a three monitor setup or would 2GB do the job? Running at 1280x1080 res on all three monitors.

Cheers!

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

Good day all.

I start thinking to set up 2 and may be 3 monitors later on for my FSX and I am looking for some information bc this will be new challenge for me. 

I wonder what is PC requirements to run 2 monitors and do I have to buy DualHead2Go hardware or similar. Also where can I read about this? 

My PC:

h8-1160t

Processor: Intel Core TM i7 - 2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

RAM 10 GB

Windows 7, 64 bit

Graphycs NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Thank you. 

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

I'm running 3 identical 24" monitors with 2 Nvidia GTX 670 video cards in SLI using Nvidia surround.

It didn't require any special configuring. FSX recognized it by itself & set up the resolution automatically.

It works very well.

Everything here talks about 2d panels but what about using the VC? My two side monitor views seem 10 times the size of the center monitor when viewing the panel in VC. How does one fix this? 

Regarding the VC question using surround; the only solution I have found is to use a higher magnification. It really 'goldfish bowls' at 0.50 but starts to become more reasonable over 0.70

I have just been flying the Staggerwing at 0.80 and this was optimum. If you used 1.00 it would be further improved but then this starts to restrict your field of vision.

As I use it with TrackIR, the sides being a little bent is not so important as the centre of the screen always looks right.

The flat screens have to represent the world like this so straight lines still appear straight as they go to the edge or your vision. If it didn't do this it you would look towards your straight wing and it would appear curved.

Any other thoughts on this from anyone?

I am assuming the goldfish bowl affect is when there is rain and it stops at the outaide parts of the screens. I am having this issue and you said to make magnification .80. Where do you do this? Thanks in advance

I recently moved from a GTX570 to the GTX680 running 3X27" Asus and was gob smacked at the improvement.

My GTX680 already had the video-outs needed - 2X DVI an a HDMI

It was a piece of cake to set up:

I plugged two of my monitors from 'card DVI' to 'monitor DVI' and the last monitor from 'card HDMI' to 'monitor DVI' using a dedicated cable I picked up from Amazon for a couple of quid!

This solution cured the colour balance problem ohsirus mentions below - The imbalance seems to be a property of the monitor input rather than the card output. Using all DVI in's sorted this out.

Then it's just a matter of firing up Windows, telling it the order of your 3 monitors in 'surround mode' and setting up the bezel correction to take in to account of the plastic space around the monitor. This resulted in a custom resolution of 6072X1080.

The last tip is to use a magnification of around 0.80 to avoid the goldfish bowl effect. This as not a problem as you gain so much resolution, you will still have peripheral vision (I use it with TrackIR)

Have fun with your new toy KL Oo  !

Hi Mikeinflight - Sorry, my poor description, by 'goldfish bowl' I mean the effect where when you look dead centre, there is minimal distortion, but this increases as you look towards the edges of the screen. The issue you raise of the short rain cone has been handled in the forums before, I remember a thread on it some time ago. I think this is due to the graphic for rain/snow being a certain width but it does not scale with our surround screen configuration. I think you can take the graphic and stretch it (copying it back to the correct file) but then you have other issues of it looking a bit blocky. As I use TrackIR, I don't actually look at the far edges that much so never pursued this fix. I guess the original Aces team hadn't thought we would be playing this so many years on when 3 screen rigs were a possibility for many. Try some searches on 'rain cone' and see if the fix works for you. Best of luck

Great.  Thanks for the reply NickBuxton.

Hi Mikeinflight - Sorry, my poor description, by 'goldfish bowl' I mean the effect where when you look dead centre, there is minimal distortion, but this increases as you look towards the edges of the screen. The issue you raise of the short rain cone has been handled in the forums before, I remember a thread on it some time ago. I think this is due to the graphic for rain/snow being a certain width but it does not scale with our surround screen configuration. I think you can take the graphic and stretch it (copying it back to the correct file) but then you have other issues of it looking a bit blocky. As I use TrackIR, I don't actually look at the far edges that much so never pursued this fix. I guess the original Aces team hadn't thought we would be playing this so many years on when 3 screen rigs were a possibility for many. Try some searches on 'rain cone' and see if the fix works for you. Best of luck

Hi gents,

I am 70 years old so consider accordingly please.  To begin this thread a lad wrote,

"Last time I looked into this it required buying a TripleHead2Go. Is this still the case, or does this Nvidia Surround thing I've read some stuff about sort of do that for us? If not, what do I plug my three monitors into on the rear of the card? My 580GTX has 2xDVIs that I current use (although not to stretch the FSX view). Am I able to use the HDMI port at the same time as the two DVIs or does that cause problems? 

The final bit about running 3 monitors from a an Nvidea GTX 580 gets results from "Yes you can" to "No you certainly cannot"  My purpose being to stretch the FSX view.  If anyone is actually running the GTX 580 with a converter for the HDMI port, to get the 3 monitor setup operating  please let me know and for all if the results are satisfactory.  If not tell me how high I have to reach to get this setup to play nice. 

Thanks,

Grandpa

My purpose being to stretch the FSX view.

Grandpa, yes NVidia Surround does what the TripleHead2Go does ie turns three monitors into one virtual monitor

But the 580 card will need to be run in SLI mode with another 580 card to do nVidia surround.

It is only the later 6xx and 7xx nVidia series cards that will do surround off one card.

Also looks like a single 580 card will only support two monitors.

So since you are already using the two DVIs the HDMI will not work.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Hey guys, I am having issues with my nvidia surround setup, and I am hoping others can shed some light on this. First, some background...

I have the following:

Windows 7 64 bit

16GB Ram

4770k CPU

GTX 770 2GB

Three 19" 1280 x 1024 monitors

This is what I do to setup surround for FSX (I also use this pc for work in non surround mode).

Go into nvidia control panel and click surround option. Because the display does not consider the bezel width, I need to make that adjustment, which creates a custom resolution. This is not an exact science, so I am not sure that the custom resolution is the same every time. In any case then I go into fsx and usually have to reset the resolution, which also means I need to double chech the cfg file to make sure the lod did not get reset. Then i load a flight, only to get fsx in one screen. Then I have to alt enter to full screen it, only to click something on the cockpit, which fires it back to a single monitor. The second alt enter works, and I am ready for flight - assuming I have any energy left.

There must be an easier way, or I have screwed the pooch somewhere.

Please help!

Thank you!