Sign in to follow this  
corepunch

always get "no autoland" message

Thanks for your help and I will work on it and keep you posted!

Harry,

As others have said, you need to slow down and get properly configured for landing.  This is a big, heavy jet, and it is aerodynamically smooth, so it doesn't slow down easily (even compared to other simulations of the 777).  Aim for @ 170 knots seven miles out, extend flaps as much as the speed will allow, lower gear earlier than usual to slow down if necessary.  In a typical approach, you have a period of level flight before you intercept the glideslope.  Use it to slow down, as it's much easier then.  Once you start down the glideslope, the plane wants to increase speed unless you have quite a bit of flap - 15 at least -- and often you need to put gear down right at the beginning of the glideslope to slow down.

Stick with it and you will find that this is a fun plane to fly! 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

The concept of Trash In - Trash Out doesn't just apply to entries into the FMC.  You give the autopilot a bad situation, it's not going to save you from it in all cases.

These are some examples of bad data:

• Poor intercept angle
    ATC is required to vector in at less than 30 degrees to the LOC (and in some cases 20).  If you're not using ATC and are vectoring yourself, "vector" yourself onto the LOC, planning on a 30 degree intercept.  This is made easy by looking at the runway extended centerline on the ND, and using HDG SEL and the leader line (the bendy line that leads the aircraft on the ND)
  • Poor altitude for glideslope
    Depending on your airline options, the AP can actually capture from above.  You can also cross a street without the 'walk' sign illuminated.  It doesn't mean that it's smart, however.  It'll actually pull it off relatively well if you're not too far above it, but it's best to come at it from below.
  • Poor speed management
    Selecting a speed in the speed window isn't good enough to absolve you of the responsibility of helping the aircraft reach that speed.
  • Poor data entry

The end point is this:

There's a reason there's still a pilot up front.  As wonderful as we've made technology, we haven't replicated the sentience of the human brain.  You're unique in that you have one and possess sentience (the ability to take in all kinds of data and make judgment calls).

You're still the smartest thing in on the flight deck.

The FMC and AP are not.  Remember that. :wink:

In stark contrast - and not to undermine what I just said - because your brain isn't just a set of logic gates, and our memory is more volatile, you have to be careful about what you're doing.  If the system works one time and then doesn't the next, chances are high that it's you causing the issue - not the automation.  Remember that your brain isn't just trying to fly the aircraft.  It's also processing the following:

• Holy crap, I'm flying.
  • Heartbeat, heartbeat, heartbeat (assume this is interspersed in this inner monologue)
  • Holy crap, that lunch from City Wok* isn't sitting well.
  • Continue to digest that...
  • I'm pretty sure our anniversary is tomorrow and I haven't gotten her anything.
  • Add stress
  • What did ATC just say?
  • Try to access short term memory.  Memory fetch fail.  Prompt vocal cords and diaphragm to voice question.
  • How's the fuel burn?
  • Initialize appendage movement.  Prefetch short term memory.  Initialize occipital movement and memory write.
  • The game is on tonight. # STOKED (I wonder who they're starting...)
  • Minor adrenaline call.
  • I JUST REMEMBERED THE HOTEL WE'RE GOING TO HAS WARM COOKIES!!! (#FATKID)
  • Major adrenaline call.  Minor salivatory response.
  • Also, holy crap, I'm flying.
  • Major adrenaline call.
  • Breathe (loop)

...and you can see where that continues to go.  The brain is a busy place.

By comparison, the FMC is...well...a little simpler:

• Run complex calculation (loop where applicable)
  • [interface Call DEP/ARR PAGE - Process approach entry]
  • Load approach info
  • Tune radio
  • Follow signal

TL;DR:

You're smarter than the automation so make sure you put things in simple terms for it.  Give it good data and it'll treat you well.  If it's not working.  Verify that it isn't you first; then work backwards from there.

*South Park reference, if you didn't catch it.  Also, it's a real place.  Go to IAD, and head towards B70-ish.  I noticed it when I worked there and laughed hysterically in the terminal, drawing all kinds of attention.  Didn't mind...continued laughing...

Kyle Rodgers

What a beautifull post :-)

(I really do like it)

And not a single insult in it ;-)

Applaus!

Ps, unbelievable the workload of the modern pilot right?!

And you have not even mentioned how distracting those 13 beautifull cabin attendants can be!

Rob Robson

What a beautifull post :-)

(I really do like it)

And not a single insult in it ;-)

Applaus!

Ps, unbelievable the workload of the modern pilot right?!

And you have not even mentioned how distracting those 13 beautifull cabin attendants can be!

haha - thanks.  Can you tell I had my coffee this morning?  ...both in relation to the lack of jabs, and the hyperactive threading of my inner monologue?

I just re-read it, and noticed how random my brain can be with thoughts.  Obviously, in order to come up with examples, I had to poll my own brain for random thoughts.  Coffee + random thought request = some interesting topics, it seems.

Kyle Rodgers

Glad you sorted it out. Just a remark, your approach speed 154KT seems to be a little high for a Flaps 30 Autoland. According to your screenshot, your Vref is 137 KT. When doing a full automatic landing, the approach speed should be Vref+5KT. Stéphane LI-THIAO-TE Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

You're correct and thanks for the assist!

Hi Guys,

This morning I succeed in a full ILS landing due to the recommandations in this topic, THANKS!

I have added a printscreen. Will wait for the SP1

Happy flying!

Best Regards,

Harry

This morning I succeed in a full ILS landing due to the recommandations in this topic, THANKS!

fist-bump.png

Kyle Rodgers

Ah ok, I see what you mean now :-)

I thought it was a punch, lol.

EDIT:my girlfriend got it straight away though......I am so uncool :-(

Rob Robson

Reminds me of a line spoken by a wise man, to a man with an awesome mullet:

"You never know, son. Maybe she'll be smart enough for both of you." :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

Ah ok, I see what you mean now :-)

I thought it was a punch, lol.

It could be worse. I had one friend who tried to fist bump his other friend....only for her to ask him "What are you pointing at".

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

This morning I succeed in a full ILS landing due to the recommandations in this topic, THANKS!

Looks great!  2-1/2 miles out, fully configured, good rate of descent, reasonable airspeed!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2