Sign in to follow this  
XCLTM3

What's next PMDG? B787 maybe?

I think it's because 8 is seen as a lucky number in Asia isn't it? A380, 787 etc

Cause ya know, Asian airlines are going to buy planes cause it has a lucky number in it, never mind the planes they have bought before with no eights...

Hmmmm let's see, the number 7 & 4 is considered unlucky in Asia, how many 777's and 747-400's are used by operators in China, Japan etc?

A few years back I had a chat with a guy who worked for EADS, he was under the impression the A380-800 and 900 was chosen to have a number that will be equal to and higher than the 747-8 Purely a marketing/top of the range model thing.

Rob Prest

Hmmmm let's see, the number 7 & 4 is considered unlucky in Asia, how many 777's and 747-400's are used by operators in China, Japan etc?

Exactly my point, does not make much sense does it!

Just marketing

The 757 is an aging aircraft at this point that's begun it's retirement process in the real world. United, Delta, American etc are replacing them with 737-900ERs and -9 MAXes and A321s now

What do you think the 747-400 is? An aging aircraft that is filling up the boneyards in the Southwest desert and is being replaced by the 777 and 747-8.

Michael Cubine

What do you think the 747-400 is? An aging aircraft that is filling up the boneyards in the Southwest desert and is being replaced by the 777 and 747-8.

Michael Cubine

Actually the 744 has a very long life ahead of it as freighter, just like the 747 classics that are still going. We have two DHL 757 freighters out here in Bahrain, however I don't see many other operators turning to the 757 as a viable choice for freight ops. Kinda sad but that's life.

Look on the bright side, for a quarter of a million you can have one sitting in your back garden.

Rob Prest

I just wish they would hurry and do a modern wood pigeon with a SDK.

I don't care what aircrafts PMDG decide to work on. Either way I will be happy whatever they ditch out sooner or later. NGX still is a fun plane to fly! and the T7s is just as great. Another thing, I don't think LevelD will ever get the 757 done, I mean how long have they been talking about it? Beside I really don't care. PMDG got me busy with their awesome plane.

David

A few years back I had a chat with a guy who worked for EADS, he was under the impression the A380-800 and 900 was chosen to have a number that will be equal to and higher than the 747-8 Purely a marketing/top of the range model thing.

On the other hand, the Gulfstream 250 is now called the Gulfstream 280 because Marketing found that would work better in Asia.

On the other hand, the Gulfstream 250 is now called the Gulfstream 280 because Marketing found that would work better in Asia.

GulfStream primarily sell to private individuals or corporations, I can see why they would go through the hassle just to keep rich potential customers happy.

Edit - just researched and it seems the number 250 is deemed offensive in parts of Asia... Wow, genuinely curious as to how the number 250 can translate to 'stupid or idiotic'??

Rob Prest

GulfStream primarily sell to private individuals or corporations, I can see why they would go through the hassle just to keep rich potential customers happy.

Edit - just researched and it seems the number 250 is deemed offensive in parts of Asia... Wow, genuinely curious as to how the number 250 can translate to 'stupid or idiotic'??

Perhaps it's in the pronunciation? I once heard (not sure if it's true) that Chinese use 555 instead of lol, because 5 is pronounced 'ha.'

It could also be something like the number '13' in the West.

Well it seems that calling someone half of 1000 is an insult in China, kinda like calling someone retarded :/ so if you get called 250 then it's a really bad insult....

Cannot believe I actually bothered to look into it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/250_(number)

• Upvote 1

Rob Prest

Well it seems that calling someone half of 1000 is an insult in China, kinda like calling someone retarded :/ so if you get called 250 then it's a really bad insult....

Cannot believe I actually bothered to look into it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/250_(number)

Cool to know, thanks :)

In a way I am secretly excited for the new 747-400V2. Maybe not nearly as much as I was for the 777 - but I like the idea of having two big heavies to fly and one being modern whilst the other more of a classic! That's of course if you can pull one away from his 300ER

I've already sent a note to Tabssy recommending you to be a 744v2 beta tester Luke.  Hope you didn't mind B)

Similar to the 777-200LR/F release, I hope PMDG includes the 747-400with the initial 744v2 release.

Chris Sunseri

Guest BeaverDriver

ur next project is a new 747-400 and -8, (this is a ground up rebuild similar to what we did with the NGX - it's not an "update" to the old 747 products as some are implying here). It'll have everything the 777 has and more.

Sounds good. An updated 747 would be pretty cool as it is a classic now.

Just one question if I may. As I recall in previous posts where PMDG laid out the future products, I believe the DC 6 was slotted somewhere between the 777 and the 747 originally. Has this changed at this point?

By the by to one poster saying the 757's were not favoured by freighter outfits so much now. I understand FedEx is getting rid of the rest of their 727's and going with 757's, as is at least one other outfit. I can't positively confirm this at the moment, but I did read something to that effect in an Air Cargo News magazine. So they aren't dead yet, but they are definitely being phased out from the pax carrier ops as stated.

Thanks much.

Glenn