Sign in to follow this  
shally17

Releasing the park brake

Hello Everyone,

This may sound stupid but I cannot release the park brakes on the 777. Pushing the brake pedals does not work neither does the period key. My brakes are now red hot (great animation) and my tyre pressures are somewhat down. I used the slew key to align with the gate. Could this have done something?

Regards, Stephen.

I think I just figured out the answer to my own question. Is it a safety feature that the park brake cannot be released in an overheat situation? When I went to maintenance on the CDU and "cooled brakes" and "replaced tyres" the brake went off. My question now is how can I have overheated the brakes sitting at the gate? When exiting slew the plane shot forward until I turned slew back on and replaced the plane. Could this have done it?

This happened to me before. The parking brakes remain engaged when the chocks are enabled in the "Ground connections" menu in the FMC. 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Parking brakes are being used to simulate "Can't move" situations.

One situation is "The wheel chocks are there, preventing movement" 

The other is "The tires are deflated due to wheel overheat, preventing movement."

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000681668.html

It's not so much a safety feature, as it is a physical impossibility preventing the wheels turning.

I think I just figured out the answer to my own question. Is it a safety feature that the park brake cannot be released in an overheat situation? When I went to maintenance on the CDU and "cooled brakes" and "replaced tyres" the brake went off. My question now is how can I have overheated the brakes sitting at the gate? When exiting slew the plane shot forward until I turned slew back on and replaced the plane. Could this have done it?

What were you doing to abuse the brakes? :lol:  Anyways, if the tires are blow , the brakes are engaged as a way to tell you that the plane can't move.

I once had a brake problem when gsx told me to remove the chocks. As soon as i did that, the brakes released even though the parking brake was set. Gsx was now asking to release the parking brakes, but i did and it did not notice. I reengaged the chocks and took them off again and that fixed the problem. That was odd

cheers!

From Page 15, Introduction manual:

NOTE: In the PMDG 777-200LR/F we have an option that allows you to place chocks under the wheels in order to hold the airplane in place. We do this by forcing the FSX parking brake on in the background, while allowing you to set/release the airplane’s parking brake at will. You will notice the red FSX “Parking Brake Set” message appear whenever you have wheel chocks set, since we are using the brake in this fashion. If you wish to eliminate this red message, simply look in your FSX.CFG for: InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True Change True to False and the message will no longer appear!

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg