Sign in to follow this  
Don t moderate me this way

What are "V-A-S" and "O-O-M"? ;-)

It's not advisable to configure FSX in a way to start a flight with VAS usage already at 3.8 GB - this is just an experiment I felt in the mood to conduct:

- departing KLAS (MegaSceneryX with U.S. City Las Vegas on top - custom buildings option active ... love to hear the freight train's horn sounding with the T7's flightdeck still cold & dark ... and "rather" silent ...)

- "canned" real weather (stored in and "injected" by ASE) with REX cloud textures (512 bit ONLY!!!)

- aircraft PMDG B772 (with RAAS enabled - you've heard about the stuff they post on the forums these days ...)

- VoxATC "injecting" AI traffic into the scenario (setting is "default"/50% - whatever that means ...)

- all(!) scenery areas in the library are active - including all the photosceneries (admittingly, I'm not so much into it ...)

- graphics settings in FSX are from the highest quality profile I use (geared at getting the most out of FTX ... in a GA plane!!!) - you don't want me to post my fsx.cfg here ... DO YOU?!?

These two shots had a VAS usage of about 3.8 GB each - currently I'm in cruise and VAS is down to 3.3 GB, so I should be able to make it into my FTX destination.

In a nutshell:

3.8 GB VAS on startup are not advised - but where's the VAS/OOM problem everybody's talking about?

(A 32bit OS would be a different story, admittingly.)

If one is using LOD_RADIUS as low as yours - can't tell exactly, I reckon 3.5 or 4.5, then there is no problem. Thing is, people like higher LODs, like 5.5-6.5 or even higher.

VAS = Virtual Address Space (see the discussion starting on page 0.00.21 of the Introduction document)

OOM = Out of Memory error

If one is using LOD_RADIUS as low as yours - can't tell exactly, I reckon 3.5 or 4.5, then there is no problem. Thing is, people like higher LODs, like 5.5-6.5 or even higher.

Correct: "Default" 4.5 for me - and I did NOT make it into my destination!  :rolleyes:  (OOM-ed 8 nm from touchdown.)

EDIT:

Reloaded the flight some 180 nm out of my destination (KWYS): Landed with 3.6 GB VAS usage (as opposed to OOM-ing - 4.0 GB - 8 nm prior to touchdown on a "through"-flight).

Sidenote:

While KWYS for me is a "default ORBX" airport (brushed up in the corresponding FTX region), nearby KJAC is the ORBX addon airport - with an "enormous 1m photoreal area" (ORBX) around it. Maybe I could have made it on the first attempt - without the ground photo nearby ...

I'v been seeing VAS of 1.9GB flying out of default airports with 512mb cloud textures and a 4.1LOD.

Plenty of room there for Weather, Vatsim traffic, and pretty scenery.

Hopefully I can cross the Pond on Vatsim without an OOM. FlyTampa KBOS, NL2000 and Aerosoft EHAM. Considering deactivating UK2000 EGLL/EGCC/EGKK/EGLC for the day.

OOM's with Orbx scenery mean you have a bunch of duplicate afcads with the orbx airports. If you buy one of their addon airports, you still have their other default afcad in the main ftx region scenery package.

OOM's with Orbx scenery mean you have a bunch of duplicate afcads with the orbx airports. If you buy one of their addon airports, you still have their other default afcad in the main ftx region scenery package.

I have deftinatley disabled those :D

Just that if I'm screaming over FTX England with EGLL, EGKK, EGLC, etc 37,000ft below me with 60+ aircraft from FSinn/Vatsim all around after the 7 hours from FT KBOS online the whole time with Real Weather... that VAS is probably gonna be uncomfortably close to the magic 4gig number.

Last time I was flying with a bigger cloud texture, and a large LOD area, and the MD11 OOM'ed on arrival at KBOS after an 8.5 hour flight. (May also have had something to do with the literal hundreds of aircraft in FSinn that were in close vicinity to KBOS at the time.)

Correct: "Default" 4.5 for me - and I did NOT make it into my destination!  :rolleyes:  (OOM-ed 8 nm from touchdown.)

EDIT:

Reloaded the flight some 180 nm out of my destination (KWYS): Landed with 3.6 GB VAS usage (as opposed to OOM-ing - 4.0 GB - 8 nm prior to touchdown on a "through"-flight).

Sidenote:

While KWYS for me is a "default ORBX" airport (brushed up in the corresponding FTX region), nearby KJAC is the ORBX addon airport - with an "enormous 1m photoreal area" (ORBX) around it. Maybe I could have made it on the first attempt - without the ground photo nearby ...

attachicon.gifVAS KWYS rel.jpg

Word Not Allowed breaks down some information on how things work around OOMs. Lowering your autogen density helps out a lot, lowering LOD radium help quite a bit as well. Remmeber if you use ORBX Scenery, FTXGlobal, REX, PMDG 737 ..... all those things are a perfect recipe  for an OOM. Then less you have, the more room you'll have to fiddle around with things.

Word Not Allowed breaks down some information on how things work around OOMs. Lowering your autogen density helps out a lot, lowering LOD radium help quite a bit as well. Remmeber if you use ORBX Scenery, FTXGlobal, REX, PMDG 737 ..... all those things are a perfect recipe  for an OOM. Then less you have, the more room you'll have to fiddle around with things.

The ORBX autogen is another good catch:

If I had had a more "sensible" autogen setting on my first attempt, I might have just prevented the OOM. (It is maxed out in my 'heaviest' profile.)

As others have stated, there's a lot of stuff somebody can put into those 4GB. And there are lots of suggestions around to help you getting your preferred combination of eye-candy out of the VAS limit.

etc 37,000ft below me with 60+ aircraft from FSinn/Vatsim all around after the 7 hours

You havn't still got your FSInn "multiplayer range" set at the default 150 miles have you? That'd be asking for trouble because your system will be drawing & tracking all those aircraft in it's head even though you can't actually see them, the load would be humungeous during CTP. I rarely have my range above 30 miles and you'll never have 60 a/c in that box unless ATC have bigger problems than you!

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

The ORBX autogen is another good catch:

If I had had a more "sensible" autogen setting on my first attempt, I might have just prevented the OOM. (It is maxed out in my 'heaviest' profile.)

As others have stated, there's a lot of stuff somebody can put into those 4GB. And there are lots of suggestions around to help you getting your preferred combination of eye-candy out of the VAS limit.

There's really no such thing like sensible autogen, from my exp OOM happens not because of the textures or the quality of autogen, but instead because of the number of object being generated. FSX does a pool job at clearing cache which means even once you pasted the autogen and you dont see it anymore, some of it still stays in your VAS. If they would have fixed that cache clearance issue, we would never be getting OOMs

There's really no such thing like sensible autogen, from my exp OOM happens not because of the textures or the quality of autogen, but instead because of the number of object being generated. FSX does a pool job at clearing cache which means even once you pasted the autogen and you dont see it anymore, some of it still stays in your VAS. If they would have fixed that cache clearance issue, we would never be getting OOMs

Yep: See my follow-up in post #4 - 400 MB VAS freed up on landing by shutting down FSX, firing it up again and reloading from mid-flight.